FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Which Canon DSLR

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Canon DSLR

I have two 5DIIIs and a two 7DIIs.
I wanting to get a camera for my fiancée for Christmas so she can have her own camera. She can use mine anytime but it would be nice for her to have one she could call her own.

I started researching and can't believe there are so many entry level Canon cameras.

I'm looking at a 77D but open to suggestions.
Also, a quality wide angle zoom would be nice.
In advance I appreciate any help and suggestions.

Nov 22, 2017 at 03:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Canon DSLR

How about the SL2? It's small, simple, inexpensive, and it has a great sensor.

Nov 22, 2017 at 03:16 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Canon DSLR

SL2 (200d) and 10-18 efm?

Nov 22, 2017 at 03:37 PM
StevenSHH
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Canon DSLR

If she likes to use your DSLR(s) to take photos, 80D/77D/SL2 are all very nice.
On the other hand, if she prefers smaller DSLR, try to check out mirrorless units like M6 / M5 or wait for M50 which is releasing next year.
Currently M100 is the smallest (without hot shoe connection), and very basic controls for mirrorless $499 with kit lens.

Nov 22, 2017 at 03:44 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Canon DSLR

Second the suggestion on the SL2 in white though.

Nov 22, 2017 at 03:54 PM
joefish
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Canon DSLR

Only from my small experience , the 80D seems to be a jack of all trades camera. it's fast enough for wildlife and sports, image quality and low light focusing for landscapes and night photography. all the newer gadgets . wifi flip screen and excellent battery life. I am very happy I chose it over the 7DII . My only wish I have left is for full frame quality. But the sensor is great for a crop, I can pull shadows like I can't believe.

Good luck in what ever you choose,
Joe

Nov 22, 2017 at 05:36 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Canon DSLR

Give her a 5DIII and get yourself a 5Ds.

Nov 22, 2017 at 07:01 PM
Photog Guy
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Canon DSLR

My wife loves her 80D.

Nov 22, 2017 at 07:13 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Canon DSLR

If she already has access to 7dii and 5diii, why buy her a lessor camera that does the same.

I would be inclined to a eosm with 11-22 and 15-45. At least it is different from what she already has access to.

But if she just wants her own 7dii/5diii, buy her a 6di.

Nov 22, 2017 at 07:50 PM
scottsoutter
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Canon DSLR

What does she like to photograph?

Nov 22, 2017 at 09:02 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Canon DSLR

I was looking at the Image comparison Tool on dpreview and even the SL1 looked pretty good.

Nov 22, 2017 at 09:05 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Canon DSLR

Get her a Nikon so she can't nick all your stuff

But seriously, look at the SL2 & 10-18mm, great combo

Nov 24, 2017 at 06:21 AM
denzar
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Canon DSLR

80d 👍

Nov 24, 2017 at 07:41 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Canon DSLR

My wife does not like dinky-sized consumer cameras. We men should not assume that women want something tiny; best to let her choose the camera.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:33 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which Canon DSLR

You already have 4 DSLR's between two people, do you really need another? And will it even fix the perceived problem? If she is uncomfortable borrowing your cameras, she will surely still be uncomfortable borrowing you lenses after she has a camera body that is "hers".

Another question - is she really all that interested in photography? Or are you projecting your interests onto her?

Nov 27, 2017 at 01:27 AM
h2odog
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which Canon DSLR

I recently purchased a new SL2 body with a new pancake 24 2.8 for $628 and the 18-135 STM (used like new on eBay) $200. This is a great versatile kit, simple to use, very lightweight and inexpensive with dual pixel AF. A great affordable quality APS-C camera. You can't beat the value of this combo. Even if you added a 50 1.8 or pancake 40 2.8 we're talking under $1000. It is not L glass, but it is very capable of producing terrific images.

Edited on Dec 31, 2017 at 11:34 AM · View previous versions

Dec 31, 2017 at 08:23 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which Canon DSLR

rprouty wrote:
I have two 5DIIIs and a two 7DIIs.
I wanting to get a camera for my fiancée for Christmas so she can have her own camera. She can use mine anytime but it would be nice for her to have one she could call her own.

I started researching and can't believe there are so many entry level Canon cameras.

I'm looking at a 77D but open to suggestions.
Also, a quality wide angle zoom would be nice.
In advance I appreciate any help and suggestions.

The first question — and the one you don't address! — is about your fiancee's particular interest in photography. When people buy (generously!) camera gear for fiancees, their children, and so forth it is often important to look into this... and to think clearly about the motives of the buyer.

If we are talking about someone whose interest in "serious" photography is more potential and than current, there are a few things to consider;

1. Such a person may not be well served by the same cameras that "enthusiasts" or "serious" photographers would pick. For them it is unlikely to be worthwhile to get something more sophisticated than the least expensive "rebel" style DSLR with the 18-55mm kit lens at first. For most newbies, this will seem like a great camera, but it won't be onerously large and complicated. It will produce fine image quality and give the recipient room to grow if their interest develops.

2. In many cases a DSLR (or mirrorless equivalent) may not be the ideal camera. I've seen lots of such folks decide that carrying the larger camera and lens combo simply isn't worth it to them... and they leave the camera at home. Here something smaller and closer to pocketable could be best, something along the lines of a very good point and shoot model.

The person doing the buying also needs to do a bit of a self-assessment — as I know from my own experience and from making a mistake or two along the way. As a serious photographer it is easy to overlook the fact that others may find the serious cameras (which include, from their perspective, entry-level DSLRs) to complex and too big.

I finally — after too many missteps — figured this out with one person in m life. I started this person on a tiny, low-end point and shoot, after she told me she just wanted a camera to use while traveling, etc. and didn't want something big and overly complex. I, of course, thought this was insufficient, but she began to make a lot of photographs and eventually began to develop her own interest in something better. A few years later the subject came up again — she didn't want the big stuff that I shoot with, but did want something better with more control, so we stepped up to a very good point and shoot. This was a great learning tool, especially about "photographic seeing," and before long she was ready for a serious camera — we got a very low-end "Rebel" with the kit lens. After a while, when the subject came up, I loaned her a few of my better lenses, which produced very good image quality on this camera. Before long she figured out that she loves macro photography, and ultimately moved to a full frame camera with (mostly) the 100mm f/2.8L IS macro.

Imagine if I had gotten that ultimate setup (full frame DSLR plus 100mm macro!) back when she was getting started. It would have been a complete failure, and she probably would not have used it. Instead, by starting with more appropriate and friendly gear "a photographer was born." :-)

To loop back to your starting point... if you are certain that a DSLR is the right camera and the recipient is somewhat new to this... get a small "rebel" style body with the kit lens and see what evolves.

Make sense?

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:03 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which Canon DSLR

15Bit wrote:
You already have 4 DSLR's between two people, do you really need another? And will it even fix the perceived problem? If she is uncomfortable borrowing your cameras, she will surely still be uncomfortable borrowing you lenses after she has a camera body that is "hers".
Another question - is she really all that interested in photography? Or are you projecting your interests onto her?

maybe we will find out if the OP got another camera

Dec 31, 2017 at 01:06 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which Canon DSLR

I did the camera dance with my wife for a few years. She loved taking pictures but didn't like carrying the "boat anchors" I owned (5D MK II and 7D at the time). So I bought her a S90 and while it was an easy carry, she said it was bad in low light and focused too slow and might as well use her iPhone. So I gave up and, on a whim, bought a SL1 for a my leave in the messenger bag carry around all day camera. I got a few days use out of it and my wife took it and I never got it back. I think she averages a few thousand images per month of mostly street photography (walking to work). That was 3 or 4 years ago and now she has two SL1...

Dec 31, 2017 at 03:50 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which Canon DSLR

Rod, first of all congratulations on your and Karens upcoming marriage. I'm very happy for you.

I think that since she will continue to have access to your extra bodies, then give her something totally different and smaller for casual use. I recommend either the SL2 or EOS M5. Then she can have something for more casual use as well. She could even let you borrow it once in a while.

Dec 31, 2017 at 04:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.