New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · BenQ SW320 & i1 Display Pro for Youtube

iamsterdam

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BenQ SW320 & i1 Display Pro for Youtube

Hi guys.
Long time lurker who finally registered.
I'm fairly new to all of this, so your help would really go a long way. Hopefully this post won't be so convoluted.

I've just bought a BenQ SW320 monitor, and an i1 display pro.
I calibrated it in advanced mode using the i1profiler, with icc version 2 and the large patch size.
Gamma 2.2, contrast native, d65 white point, set it to automatic display control.

Regarding luminosity, I tried out 80cdm, 100cdm and 120cm.. here were the results:

The 80cdm got the closest white point at 6491k and that's the one I've been using up until now.

I use the monitor for creating video and animation for YouTube.
My software is Final Cut Pro X on El Capitan.

When calibrating, I chose 'custom 2' as the color mode on the monitor, and changed the color gamut on the monitor to rec 709 as that is the color space I work with and render out to in Final Cut Pro X. But I think I read somewhere that Youtube uses the srgb space for videos, so I'm not sure if I should set it to srgb on the monitor. I am also not sure whether FCPX takes into consideration my macs ICC profile or tries to display to me rec 709.

I'm finding that when I go to upload to YouTube, my colors are coming out slightly darker.. especially yellows and oranges... my yellows end up slightly closer to green and oranges closer to red.

Just to summarise all that:
SW 320 calibrated with i1 using rec 709 gamut on monitor and 80/100/120 cdm.
Final Cut Pro X uses rec 709, but not sure if it uses my icc.
Youtube colors, especially yellow and orange come out more saturated.

I really hope most of this makes sense. Thank you for all the help you give on these forums too hey.

Regards!

Nov 22, 2017 at 06:39 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BenQ SW320 & i1 Display Pro for Youtube

REC709 is a broadcast video standard. The only difference between REC709 and sRGB is that REC709 has a 2.4 gamma. Final Cut is not color managed. If you calibrate your monitor to REC709 and grade your videos to that monitor, your vids are in effect, now in REC709. You should use sRGB for youtube and not worry about a few points difference in wp color temp that you'll never ever be able to see anyway. Choose your wp luminance based on your ambient light levels.

Nov 22, 2017 at 09:46 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.