Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Batis 25 worth the price? Some 28mm woes. Sigma 35 anticipation.

Sener
• •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Batis 25 worth the price? Some 28mm woes. Sigma 35 anticipation.

Hi,

I'm selling my 3rd FE 28mm f2 today.

I'm running a kit of 15-35-55-85-150. The 35 is the pancake, so it's more of a utility lens. All the other lenses are, to me at least, very good and enjoyable to use.

I am mainly a 50mm shooter. But the problem is, sometimes 50 feels tight and I'm needing a fast lens (preferably at least f2) between 24-35mm. There's a void there.

To this end I've tried the Fuji 16mm f1.4 (not so great separation, probs due to rendering) and FE 28mm f2 (can't get inspired).

I am very big on mid-to-longish distance subject separation. Suffice to say that I pick most lenses based on that ability.

Recently I've got hold of a VL 28mm f2 Ultron. It's a different and funky lens to use on my A7s due to the incompatibilities between them, i.e. high smearing on edges at wide apertures, strong field curvature almost providing a tilt-shift look. It's a bit difficult to get used to the focusing tab; can't operate it comfortably in all positions, especially when I do a vertical shot. It's still get-to-know time for me and I've also ordered a helicoid adapter.

Nevertheless it looks like I'll be needing a reliable, fast and character-y lens in this 24-28-35mm interval. Preferably 28mm but I know 28mm and "fast" alternatives will rob my wallet.

At one side I am eagerly waiting for Sigma's 1.4/35mm offering for FF E mount. Meanwhile I had a check on this Batis 25mm f2; a bit large but light, it seems to be almost what I need. Can't pull the trigger though, because I don't get the impression that it's a special lens. It is still Zeiss, but not a "biting Zeiss"? From the reviews and galleries I looked up online, the main weaknesses I gather are;

- Not critically sharp at f2, where I would intend to use it 95% of the time

- That review which compared B25 with L21 in a sample shot did a very bad thing to Batis. There the L21 kills the Batis in terms of detail and microcontrast. There is also an ugly shot of tree branches filled with CA but I suppose that's automatically corrected. Nevertheless, not at all something you expect from a premium price tag Here;
http://www.verybiglobo.com/zeiss-batis-25mm-f2-review/

- Not so Zeiss-y rendering, in that subject separation is not so immediate / IF>OOF transition is not so abrupt as the Zony 55 or 35 so it feels less 3d?

- Price tag like, very premium.

So it's not an automatic decision for a Zeiss-head like me. Can't pull the trigger. Can't get myself to believe that this is an anchor lens for the FOV.

Maybe I should let go all of this and save the pennies for that Sigma 35.

What are your ideas?

Thank you.

Nov 21, 2017 at 04:09 AM
Sener
• •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Batis 25 worth the price? Some 28mm woes. Sigma 35 anticipation.

I've just realized that I opened this in the Alt forum instead of the Sony forum. Sorry.

Nov 21, 2017 at 05:22 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.