New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

pasblues
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

I have always considered memory cards some of the most valuable items I own. Everything else I purchase is nothing if anything happens to the images I captured.

Back when CF cards were the main media for digital, I felt more confident. I could write my information on the back of each card so that if was dropped or lost, whoever found it could, if they chose, get it back to me quickly. There were even lines on the backs of some CF cards for writing whatever you wanted on it. I put my name, phone number and email on the backs of them.

Plus, I carried them in hard, clamshell cases that were labeled yet again on the outside. I counted my cards before and after an event and guarded them (correctly so) like everything depended on the safety of those cards.

We used to tell stories about CF cards making it through washer and dryer cycles and the cards still being viable. I had a lot of confidence in them. I still like them the best because they are just the right size and built substantially enough in relation to their extreme importance.

Then along came SD cards as professional camera media. These things make me so nervous. They are infinitely flimsier and there's only a teeny-tiny space on SOME cards (like Sanddisk) to write anything. I can barely get my phone number on them if I carefully write very tight and small.

The only thing I can think of to do is to put a photo on the card of my information in case it is found and someone opens the card - something that could get the card back to me if it is dropped or lost. There's no way SD cards would make it through what a CF card would. Plus they have a great chance of a small person or animal putting them in their mouth and choking or swallowing it.

I'd like to see SD card manufacturers put blanks on the backs of the cards for writing personal information.

I still use a hard clamshell case for them - but it's hard to find cases that aren't black - these cases need to be color-coded glow-in-the dark NEON as far as I'm concerned. Black cases are hard to spot in a black bag or in the dark.

So far, this is the best I can find in a hard, clamshell case. Thinking of adding neon tape to it.

Nov 20, 2017 at 03:48 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

FWIW go grab yourself a Brother Labelmaker. They are cheap and the tape for it is cheap as well. If you have a Costco membership they sell the stuff there for not much $. I just use the plain white tape with black letters but they also make different color tapes.

Nov 20, 2017 at 04:32 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

I have that same case, and it does a good job to secure them My gripe with it is that it has exact-sized recesses for SD cards, so they only fit one way. To avoid disaster, I like to take used/full cards and turn them over so I know not to use them any more. Can't do that with this case.

Anyone use a decent system to differentiate cards with this case?

Nov 20, 2017 at 06:03 PM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

Fred Amico wrote:
I have that same case, and it does a good job to secure them My gripe with it is that it has exact-sized recesses for SD cards, so they only fit one way. To avoid disaster, I like to take used/full cards and turn them over so I know not to use them any more. Can't do that with this case.

Anyone use a decent system to differentiate cards with this case?

I can turn my cards over or upside down in this case, although I prefer upside down with the contacts not belly up.

Sorry for the quick, lousy cellphone pic:

Nov 20, 2017 at 07:10 PM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

mikeinctown wrote:
FWIW go grab yourself a Brother Labelmaker. They are cheap and the tape for it is cheap as well. If you have a Costco membership they sell the stuff there for not much $. I just use the plain white tape with black letters but they also make different color tapes.

I have one. I'm concerned about putting a label on the card should it come off inside the camera. Do you find that the label stays put?

Nov 20, 2017 at 07:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

I would not use a label as there is minimal clearance in most SD slots.
SanDisk SD cards have a white area for writing.

EBH

Nov 20, 2017 at 07:39 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

pasblues wrote:
I can turn my cards over or upside down in this case, although I prefer upside down with the contacts not belly up.

Sorry for the quick, lousy cellphone pic:

Hmm, not the same case after all. Mine only has four slots, and they are pre-cut for exact fit, including the beveled end, so cards fit only one way. Maybe I'll pick up the case you have.

Nov 20, 2017 at 07:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

I prefer the Lenscoat card wallets, which are lightweight and available in numerous colors and camo patterns.
This one holds 9 SD cards and there are larger ones that hold 15. There are also combo card wallets that hold 6 SD and 6 CF/XQD.

EBH

Nov 20, 2017 at 07:59 PM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

EB-1 wrote:
I prefer the Lenscoat card wallets, which are lightweight and available in numerous colors and camo patterns.
This one holds 9 SD cards and there are larger ones that hold 15. There are also combo card wallets that hold 6 SD and 6 CF/XQD.

EBH

Yes, those look handy. I prefer securely closed, waterproof hard clamshells. I just need them in neon colors. I'll probably figure out a way to add neon colored tape to the case I have.

That still leaves the issue of writing on the cards for quick identification. I wish the manufacturers would put a white label on one side for writing identifiers. I used to put on the CF cards: Reward for Return and my info.

Nov 20, 2017 at 08:28 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

I keep my cards in the plastic containers they came in. All of them get tossed in a see through Zip-Lok bag. Exposed cards get a fluorescent orange peel off round sticker on the plastic container to flag them and they go in a separate Zip-Lok bag. No need to worry about a lost card, all cards are also numbered.

Nov 20, 2017 at 08:30 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

I carry SD cards loose in a hair wax pottle - bright red plastic screw top. I put that in a fluoro pink silicone pencil case along with a lenspen and other small items.

Through the zip pull I thread a fluoro green lace that can be looped through a bag strap or anchor points to avoid loss.

Nov 20, 2017 at 09:13 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

Funny, every time I want to buy something in black, "flashy colors" are the only ones available
I've seen similar cases in other colors somewhere for sure. But for know, I was able to only find these: http://amzn.to/2z7kLQC and http://amzn.to/2iznaxu

Nov 20, 2017 at 09:22 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Thanks for the info/link, EBH.

Nov 20, 2017 at 09:49 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

I have always worried about a pin from a CF card reader breaking off inside a memory card. No such worries with SD cards.

I put my plastic case for the SD cards in a very small P&S camera bag that I have on my belt. The SD cards are never in my camera bag during an event. If someone walks off with the camera bag I do not lose any of the pictures I have taken for my client. I have the small camera bag on my belt from when I leave the house until when I return.

Nov 24, 2017 at 08:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

i look at cards as a semi consumable. they are, especially CF/XQD quite hardy in use. SD on the other hand not nearly as the others. I've been using the TT Pixel Pocket Rockets for CF (when i used them), XQD all the time and SD both versions. the CF/XQD version holds 10 cards the SD version 9. 2 different colors to tell them apart. its been a lot of years with the CF/XQD. have accumulated a few of them but still working with the original. business card slot for giving out or ID.

the hard cases are rigid and bulky. for CF/XQD they hold less too.

yep, simply flipped the full ones over. they're ID'd and serialized.

the LensCoat versions are emulations of the original TT design.

Nov 24, 2017 at 08:26 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

I'm fortunate enough to be able to use my email address as the volume label on my cards plus I add it into the Author / Copyright line of the EXIF field. When I travel I also have a text file with name & address etc & hotel info plus a photo of my business card I add to every card i'm taking.

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:41 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

Interesting read. I too was concerned about the switch from CF to SD, but no longer give it a thought.
My only concern is I often slide the lock slider and lock the card from working, such as a quick edit then save the edit back to the card only to find it is locked and will not allow the edit save.
I consider dropping a small amount of super glue stuff on the slider to freeze it on place.

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:07 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The trials of using SD cards vs. CF cards

I invest in 128gb cards for my cameras, SD and CF....and I take additional cards when I travel but I have only a couple of times had to change cards. I like bigger cards because my cameras have dual slots (I wouldnt like big cards if I didnt have dual slots) and I rarely have to swap cards.

Dec 05, 2017 at 10:34 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.