New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Cloud storage

spork3127
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cloud storage

Hi everyone. If I'm posting int he wrong forum, please feel free to move this. I was curious what others are doing for cloud storage or anything similar. I have my finalized images that get posted to my website accessible for download from there, but would like to look into cloud storage for either the images that get processed and may not make it to my site (but I like them enough to keep them) or all of the RAW files so that I can go back and download/edit later if I want to.

I already pay for Amazon Prime but have never used their photo storage. Thanks for any insight that you guys can provide.

Nov 20, 2017 at 01:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cloud storage

I use Dropbox for most shared stuff; galleries, events, etc.

Nov 20, 2017 at 02:16 PM
Twistedimg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cloud storage

If you only have one computer with no network drives you can use Backblaze for about $5/month for unlimited.

If you have multiple devices and/or network storage you can use Idrive.

There is also a Backblaze B2 option but not sure it is for everyone.

I just went through a switch over recently, as in within a couple weeks, that dealt with similar. Went from a single desktop with internal drive that I backed up to Carbonite. Now have a desktop, laptop, and NAS box for most my data.

Threw this together this weekend but haven't had the time to go through and properly proof read: http://www.jacobcarrollphotography.com/Articles-and-Reviews/Data-Backup-Plan

Nov 20, 2017 at 03:39 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cloud storage

I use Backblaze and back up my computer internal drive and the external drives that are not backups themselves. The first backup can take weeks, but after that it’s quick.

Nov 20, 2017 at 03:55 PM
Ix4224
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cloud storage

I also use Backblaze for my automatic cloud backups since it's cheap and I only have a few externals connected to my desktop/not using network drives. I was using Crashplan but they recently discontinued their consumer backup service...

I also use Amazon Prime's photo storage as a 2nd cloud location. For this, I just manually point at my new folders every month that I want to upload. The photo storage that comes with Prime is actually unlimited for photos, even for RAWs.

Since you already have Prime, you can try it and see if you like it. FWIW, I found that Amazon did throttle my uploads, as it took a few weeks to upload my ~1TB collection. Backblaze took full advantage of my 100Mb/s speeds and I finished the same upload in less than a week.

Nov 20, 2017 at 04:06 PM
spork3127
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cloud storage

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went ahead and kicked off a backup with Amazon since I already have it. I also book marked Backblaze and will look into it if Amazon isnt satisfactory.

Nov 22, 2017 at 01:44 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cloud storage

I believe you can still edit and crosspost to another forum as well as it being in this one.

Whatever you do, be prepared to quickly switch to another provider if they change service policies and/or prices.

EBH

Nov 22, 2017 at 04:47 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cloud storage

Since you are Amazon Prime member you have free unlimited photo storage included with your membership: Amazon Drive it supports RAW files as well. Check for yourself before getting into other options. If you own a Synology NAS, you can upload to Amazon straight from there, without a hassle of having your computer turned on all the time. Before getting into another service, try Amazon first. You already paid for it
On my end, I didn't see any throttling done by Amazon but I do not have 100 Mb/s upload speeds either Whatever you do, keep in mind that cloud backup takes time.

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:30 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.