Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

chiron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

I would like to know whether anyone is getting good eye focus with Canon lenses, especially wide aperture Canon lenses, when used on the A9.

And, is anyone getting good tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

If so or if not, what adapter are you using and do you have the latest firmware (version 0.57 for Metabones, I think).

Thanks for any info.

Nov 20, 2017 at 09:37 AM
Mystik
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

chiron wrote:
I would like to know whether anyone is getting good eye focus with Canon lenses, especially wide aperture Canon lenses, when used on the A9.

If so or if not, what adapter are you using and do you have the latest firmware (version 0.57 for Metabones, I think).

Thanks for any info.

I did when I had the a9. Latest version of the Metabones firmware

Nov 20, 2017 at 09:49 AM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

Yup, I get Eye-AF with the Sigma Art 135mm f1.8 and Canon 200mm f2L IS with the Metabones IV adapter with the latest firmware. I also get Eye-AF with the Nikkor 105mm f1.4 and Commlite adapter also with the latest firmware..

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:40 AM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

sigma 135, with mc-11 works pretty well, much better towards the center of the frame.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:44 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

Peter, getting Eye-AF in the AF-S mode is one thing but getting the Eye-AF in the AF-C is a different thing. The only lens in Canon mount I have that I use the Eye-AF with is my Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art. And yes, the Eye-AF in AF-C works in the green mode of Metabones on the A9 with the latest FW.

The Sigma MC-11 that works only in the hybrid mode is definitely more limited; the PDAF is restricted to the center in the horizontal orientation. They need to upgrade the FW on that one.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:06 AM
elimoss
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

I thought Metabones Eye-AF only works in Advanced mode? I've only tried on the a7rii though.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:12 AM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

Nope. It works in Green mode now too. Continuous works well with the Canon 200mm f2L IS.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:22 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

elimoss wrote:
I thought Metabones Eye-AF only works in Advanced mode? I've only tried on the a7rii though.

The latest FW enables the Eye-AF in the green (PDAF) mode in AF-C. The A9 lets you get Eye-AF even using Leica-M lenses with TechArt Pro. And yes, Sony A-mount lenses on the LA-EA3 will get the Eye-AF as well. The key seems to be the PDAF mode, which those 3 adapters, Metabones, TAP and LA-EA3 can take advantage of. I am not familiar with the Commilite Pro adapter but it has been reported to work as well.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:26 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

Those forced hybrid AF modes employed by Sigma and metabones are buggy. The latest a9 firmware update enabled af-c eye AF in the pure PDAF mode you get with adapted glass, which is much more stable and reliable.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:45 AM
elimoss
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

Oh I see. That's neat.
Is the better green mode restricted to the a9 so far?
Maybe the a7riii will have that PDAF update as well.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:54 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

elimoss wrote:
Oh I see. That's neat.
Is the better green mode restricted to the a9 so far?
Maybe the a7riii will have that PDAF update as well.

A7rIII will be have eye af with adapted glass too

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM
IanColonna

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

I have used the Metabones V with firmware 0.57 with Sony A7R 2 along with Canon 70-200L F2.8 IS (version 1) and it works flawlessly at ALL focal lengths even at 200mm. Also got Eye-AF and fast auto focus speed. For reference I mounted the Sony G master 70-200 and for AF comparison. The Sony was a bit quicker in focusing but by a millisecond or so. For still captures the difference is not that significant in my opinion.

This is unlike the experience folks are having with the older Metabones Mark IV. Even with the latest firmware 0.57 when using with canon lenses that are the older (pre 2009) the performance is buggy and in the long end of variable zoom lenses, auto focus is always an issue it hunts a lot.

I would definitely recommend using the metabones V for those who are considering adapting Canon lens to Sony a7r series.

Nov 22, 2017 at 02:26 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

IanColonna wrote:
I have used the Metabones V with firmware 0.57 with Sony A7R 2 along with Canon 70-200L F2.8 IS (version 1) and it works flawlessly at ALL focal lengths even at 200mm. Also got Eye-AF and fast auto focus speed. For reference I mounted the Sony G master 70-200 and for AF comparison. The Sony was a bit quicker in focusing but by a millisecond or so. For still captures the difference is not that significant in my opinion.

This is unlike the experience folks are having with the older Metabones Mark IV. Even with the latest firmware 0.57 when using
...Show more

Good to hear about the excellent performance you are getting.

However, I am surprised at your report about differences in performance between the metabones iv and v. My understanding has been that the only differences are the addition of the button to switch between green and advanced modes and one other mino change that is escaping my mind at the moment.

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:00 AM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

chiron wrote:

Thanks for any info.

Yup.

Works beautifully ever since the most recent firmware update in green mode as others have said.

On my end, the 85ii, 35ii, sigma 20 and 135 are the ones I use most often and they all work really well with regard to eye-af. The only caveat is with the 85ii as it does not focus outside of about the 70% ballpark estimate of the central area of the frame. Within the usable area, eye-af works flawlessly. All in all, the Canon 85ii on the A9 is more fun to use and more consistently accurate than I ever experienced on any Canon DSLR.

Nov 22, 2017 at 02:09 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does anyone get eye focus/tracking with Canon lenses on the A9?

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Yup.

Works beautifully ever since the most recent firmware update in green mode as others have said.

On my end, the 85ii, 35ii, sigma 20 and 135 are the ones I use most often and they all work really well with regard to eye-af. The only caveat is with the 85ii as it does not focus outside of about the 70% ballpark estimate of the central area of the frame. Within the usable area, eye-af works flawlessly. All in all, the Canon 85ii on the A9 is more fun to use and more consistently accurate than I ever experienced on any Canon
...Show more

That is great to hear. so, a big question is will it and those other Canon lenses work as well on the a7r3 as they do on the a9.

Nov 22, 2017 at 07:31 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.