Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 5Dsr RAW Large files converted to jpeg yield what size file (max)?

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5Dsr RAW Large files converted to jpeg yield what size file (max)?

I am curious how large the converted RAW large file is when it is jpeg?

Nov 19, 2017 at 09:56 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5Dsr RAW Large files converted to jpeg yield what size file (max)?

It will always depend on the level of jpeg compression, and more importantly, the content and complexity of the content of the image itself.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:15 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5Dsr RAW Large files converted to jpeg yield what size file (max)?

Peter Figen wrote:
It will always depend on the level of jpeg compression, and more importantly, the content and complexity of the content of the image itself.

If we assume for a moment that the jpg setting is set at large during SAVE, what might be the range of file size? I am just looking for some general numbers.....

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:26 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5Dsr RAW Large files converted to jpeg yield what size file (max)?

I shoot raw + "L-fine jpeg" a lot of the time with my 5DsR. A look in a random folder has jpegs from 11-30 MB and .cr2s at 50-90 MB. The smallest were from underexposed bracket shots with sky and the highest from almost overexposed highly details scenes.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:35 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5Dsr RAW Large files converted to jpeg yield what size file (max)?

My 5DSr files, when I import the RAW file into Lightroom, process them, then export as a 90% quality .jpg, vary from under 10mb to over 30mb. The RAW files vary from 30mb to 60mb. And the .tiff files I make from the RAW files are around 300mb.

Mark

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:56 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5Dsr RAW Large files converted to jpeg yield what size file (max)?

Converting RAW’s to jpg’s creates files between ~ 15-40Mbytes depending on the complexity of the scene. Typically 30MB+ for landscape.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:13 AM
Hathaway
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5Dsr RAW Large files converted to jpeg yield what size file (max)?

10-30 mb range has been my experience as well.

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:11 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5Dsr RAW Large files converted to jpeg yield what size file (max)?

Herb wrote:
I am curious how large the converted RAW large file is when it is jpeg?

There is no simple way to answer that question. An extremely complex image with lots of seemingly random detail and high contrast could produce a highest quality jpg that is many megabytes in size if the image dimensions are quite large.

On the other hand, a small web-sized image that is relatively simple and uses a moderate quality setting (for fine results in web display) could be smaller than 100k.

Perhaps you can provide a bit more context... What pixel dimensions are you looking at? The original dimensions of hte 5DsR file, or some smaller (or larger!) size for a particular purpose? Are you compressing to send out for printing? To put on a website? Something else?

Dan

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.