FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

cohenfive
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Thanks for the info. I might ping you back for more details. You got to see Denali, that doesn't always happen...but I guess you had other weather issues!

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:00 AM
sum1sgrampa
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

ScottHM wrote:
Thankfully I'm to the point where I can stay away from the platforms and the people if I want to, I usually guide myself with friends, perhaps people I'll take along with me, or spend time working between groups of people fishing taking their pictures and sending them on to them at a later date. I've spoken to some rangers and other guides and they've suggested I get a guiding permit, perhaps after this year. This past year one guy I was with opened up an outhouse door and hit a bear in the ass

So I guess the old adage isn't true. A bear does not "go" in the woods. They wait for the their turn in the outhouse.

If I was 30 years younger I'd live in my van to be a guide in Alaska . Go for it !

Nov 22, 2017 at 01:44 AM
Pincher

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Amazing set!

Nov 22, 2017 at 03:29 AM
sum1sgrampa
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Wilbus wrote:
Well I think a lot of people with the advent of digital forgot what's important with a photo, and I am guilty of it as well from time to time. I photo should be about feelings, composition and light, the right situation. Look at shots from famous documentary photographers from almost 100 years ago. Quality wise they look like crap but everything else is second to none, something we might never see again.

Many of us discuss gear and quality here as well, I'm a gear head, end of story. But that doesn't mean one has to loose control of
...Show more

This is true. And I realize that cameras and lenses are technical instruments so there's no denying that aspect of the discipline. But I think sometimes we forget there is a distinction between showcasing what the gear can do as opposed to what the photographer can do.
In other words, I find a well composed image of a Wood duck in flight with a nice pose and pleasing background to be much more compelling than an extreme closeup of that same bird's head with every drop of water and feather in sharp detail.

Nov 22, 2017 at 01:24 PM
sum1sgrampa
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Pincher wrote:
Amazing set!

Thank you

Nov 22, 2017 at 01:24 PM
Greg Lavaty
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

You have some really pretty images here, thanks for sharing them. I am quite familiar with that quote and know that I have given in to temptation and removed all doubt countless times despite knowing better.

Nov 22, 2017 at 01:28 PM
sum1sgrampa
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Greg Lavaty wrote:
You have some really pretty images here, thanks for sharing them. I am quite familiar with that quote and know that I have given in to temptation and removed all doubt countless times despite knowing better.

Thank you. You and me both. Actually I just went back and read my original post and realized that it wouldn't have been some 40 years ago that I was sitting in that barber's chair. It would have been some 50 years ago ! That realization was a real kick in the pants
That quote was inscribed on a wooden plaque hanging on the wall above the mirror I was always faced while the barber was leveling off my flat top. I used to just read it over and over not quite sure of what it meant. Perusing online photography forums cleared up that mystery

Nov 22, 2017 at 01:44 PM
Frankrizzo357

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Very wonderful set of pictures, as I'm a fan of environmental photos. As an outdoorsman I enjoy the habitat around the subject.

Ford

Nov 22, 2017 at 02:38 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

sum1sgrampa wrote:
So I guess the old adage isn't true. A bear does not "go" in the woods. They wait for the their turn in the outhouse.

If I was 30 years younger I'd live in my van to be a guide in Alaska . Go for it !

I'm not sure if they were ready to wait their turn...I encountered them on the trail after I left him, they met him a bit later. I gave them right of way

Nov 22, 2017 at 04:25 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

sum1sgrampa wrote:
In the spirit of full disclosure, i was a contributing member of DP Review for quite some time. Over the years I grew weary of the endless bickering and general negativity surrounding those forums and will be the first to admit that I contributed to that culture at times. It got to the point where it was affecting the enjoyment of my hobby.
_______
(DP)Reviews, like reviews of other products, often elicit responses based on personal bias. Not your fault.
By the way, great photos.

Nov 22, 2017 at 05:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dalite
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

ScottHM wrote:
sum1sgrampa wrote:

Edited on Nov 22, 2017 at 05:38 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2017 at 05:36 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

I can't see why you wouldn't get anything but a positive response with these great shots! I'd be happy to get just one of these.
That D500 just keeps looking better all the time

Nov 22, 2017 at 05:36 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

sum1sgrampa wrote:
This is true. And I realize that cameras and lenses are technical instruments so there's no denying that aspect of the discipline. But I think sometimes we forget there is a distinction between showcasing what the gear can do as opposed to what the photographer can do.
In other words, I find a well composed image of a Wood duck in flight with a nice pose and pleasing background to be much more compelling than an extreme closeup of that same bird's head with every drop of water and feather in sharp detail.

Couldn't agree more

Nov 22, 2017 at 06:47 PM
sum1sgrampa
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

ScottHM wrote:
I'm not sure if they were ready to wait their turn...I encountered them on the trail after I left him, they met him a bit later. I gave them right of way

No doubt. And nice shot. As I mentioned somewhere above, I would imagine encountering interior Grizzlies on a trail could be a much more dangerous scenario than the Coastal Brown bears in wide open mud flats. I'm assuming these are grizzly, not coastal.

Nov 22, 2017 at 07:11 PM
sum1sgrampa
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Bsmooth wrote:
I can't see why you wouldn't get anything but a positive response with these great shots! I'd be happy to get just one of these.
That D500 just keeps looking better all the time

Thank you. The D500 did everything I hoped it would, and then some.

Nov 22, 2017 at 07:12 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

sum1sgrampa wrote:
No doubt. And nice shot. As I mentioned somewhere above, I would imagine encountering interior Grizzlies on a trail could be a much more dangerous scenario than the Coastal Brown bears in wide open mud flats. I'm assuming these are grizzly, not coastal.

These may have been offspring of many of the same bears you encountered at some time or another, just in a different part of the park.

Nov 22, 2017 at 07:35 PM
sum1sgrampa
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

ScottHM wrote:
These may have been offspring of many of the same bears you encountered at some time or another, just in a different part of the park.

My mistake. it appeared the bears in your shot were walking on a gravel road. That's why I assumed they were interior Grizzly. There are no access roads within 300 mile walking distance of Hallo Bay.

Nov 22, 2017 at 07:47 PM
RobAmy
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Nice series

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:03 AM
mhsinca
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

WOW...incredible...so life-like. I was ready to run from the charging bear! Yikes. Thanks for sharing.

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:47 PM
sum1sgrampa
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

RobAmy wrote:
Nice series

---------------------------------------------

mhsinca wrote:
WOW...incredible...so life-like. I was ready to run from the charging bear! Yikes. Thanks for sharing.

Thank very much !

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:49 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password