Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Congratulations to sum1sgrampa for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 15 votes - View Previous Winners

In the spirit of full disclosure, i was a contributing member of DP Review for quite some time. Over the years I grew weary of the endless bickering and general negativity surrounding those forums and will be the first to admit that I contributed to that culture at times. It got to the point where it was affecting the enjoyment of my hobby. In order to start fresh I made a clean break and decided to start anew here and made a vow to myself to follow a credo I remember reading on a plaque in my barber's shop when I was a kid some 40 years ago; "it is better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt".

Here's a few from a 5 night camping trip to Hallo Bay last August. All with the Sigma S except for #8 which was with the 300 P my guide was kind enough to let me try out one evening.

Thanks everyone for the very welcoming tone I've received here so far.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:47 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Welcome !! What a marvelous set. Can’t pick a favorite out of this very enjoyable set.

Look forward to seeing more.

Birdie

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

This is a beautiful set full of superb action and great environmental portraits.

I recently started posting over at DPreview after a long break. The place is a lot more civil today than in the past yet the bickering while mostly polite continues. All around FM is a much friendlier place and I also feel the talent here is superior.

Welcome to FM,

Morris

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:22 AM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Thank you Morris. I'd agree with all that, especially the talent level.

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:48 AM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

birdied wrote:
Welcome !! What a marvelous set. Can’t pick a favorite out of this very enjoyable set.

Look forward to seeing more.

Birdie

Thanks very much, Birdie

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:49 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Wonderful images! Thanks for posting them, and a warm welcome to the forum.

Nov 19, 2017 at 01:46 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Fantastic pics. Serious question because I have no idea how you guys do it... when you take pics of bears, especially the ones charging, how do you stay safe?
p.s. welcome!

Nov 19, 2017 at 02:17 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Hi...

Welcome to FM, and glad to see you here with such a beautiful set as an introduction.

I'm looking forward to many more posts from you.

Thanks
Tom

Nov 19, 2017 at 02:22 PM
conebeam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Love the shots. Welcome. This forum has been very kind to me with constructive guidance. I love it here.

~Mansur

Nov 19, 2017 at 03:25 PM
B Benson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

You are one of a very few lucky people to experience Halo Bay and Katmai NP. Your images are outstanding. I spent ten days at Kinak Bay just a few miles from Halo Bay in September and was in Halo Bay for two days a few years ago but had a medical problem that forced me to leave. You can not really explain what it like to be around the bears and even the wolves up close. Kinak was also outstanding, two many seagulls was my only complaint. Thanks for sharing you images. Bruce

Nov 19, 2017 at 04:45 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Lovely set!!

Nov 19, 2017 at 05:02 PM
Pius Sullivan
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Excellent, well done!

Pius

Nov 19, 2017 at 05:55 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Desmolicious wrote:
Fantastic pics. Serious question because I have no idea how you guys do it... when you take pics of bears, especially the ones charging, how do you stay safe?
p.s. welcome!

The bears are a lot more interested in the fish than anything else. Most of the time in these cases you're not alone either in the river, or on the shore, and if you're with a few people the bears will leave you alone. Most people have a guide with them and in many cases you are on a platform and protected...although not the case at Hallo Bay.
Bear spray is a last resort, but it's been harder to get into Katmai and I haven't used it there yet.

Looking forward to this year...hope it's just as wacky as last year when the teenagers ruled...

Edited on Nov 19, 2017 at 06:12 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:02 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

great photos...hopefully those bears running were not running at you!

I also spent time at DP Review, but as you said, there are some really nasty people on that forum...that was what motivated me to only visit that site occasionally and to not post any photos there.....

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:07 PM
G.E. Smith
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

These are outstanding. Love the 4th shot, the wolf. Welcome to FM and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Greg

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:30 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Wonderful set of images and welcome to FM. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:36 PM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Desmolicious wrote:
p.s. welcome!

Most of the bear shots you've seen only look like the bear is charging. In actuality they are fishing. #2 and #5 in my series the bears are fishing and not really paying any attention to the photographer. The first shot I posted is unique in that this bear was chasing another bear running full speed across the mudflats. The 2 bears passed us at full speed less than 12 feet away. I could tell by the look on our guide's face after they passed that this was not a normal thing. It all happened so fast, but I do remember wondering how badly one would get hurt being run over by a 700 lb bear. It was an absolutely amazing experience. There are no viewing platforms or man made trails at Hallo Bay. And the guides carry no firearms or bear spray and we were not allowed either. They do carry a flare in the event of an incident.
These Coastal Brown bears, which are actually larger then the interior Grizzlies are in that area for one reason, to fish. You'd have to do something really stupid to put yourself in danger. Now, surprising a Grizzly on a trail in Denali, for example, could be a little more dangerous.
Thank you for your interest.

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:49 PM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

B Benson wrote:
You are one of a very few lucky people to experience Halo Bay and Katmai NP. Your images are outstanding. I spent ten days at Kinak Bay just a few miles from Halo Bay in September and was in Halo Bay for two days a few years ago but had a medical problem that forced me to leave. You can not really explain what it like to be around the bears and even the wolves up close. Kinak was also outstanding, two many seagulls was my only complaint. Thanks for sharing you images. Bruce

I was extremely lucky to get this opportunity and sadly it was probably a once in a lifetime event for me. To wander such an amazingly beautiful place amid these spectacular animals and observe them going about their daily routine seemingly unaware of our presence was magical.
I had booked a 2 night stay as that was all I could afford but we got weathered in for 3 extra nights so it turned out to be quite a great deal.

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:56 PM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

Fred Amico wrote:
Wonderful images! Thanks for posting them, and a warm welcome to the forum.

Thank you

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:57 PM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Personal disclosure and Hallo Bay wildlife

frdjohns wrote:
Wonderful set of images and welcome to FM. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks very much

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:59 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.