New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

firingsquad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

Currently experiencing Error Code 70. I've tried the following to remedy the issue

remove and reinstall the battery
remove and install a different battery (both batteries are Canon)
remove and install the memory card
remove and install a different memory card
format memory card in camera
format memory card on computer
reformat in camera
replace and install different lens
turn off automatic lens cleaning

none of these have fixed the issue. currently on firmware version 1.0.3. This camera isnt very old, shutter count is below 10k. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about resolving this issue? I contacted Canon, and while they were quick to respond, their suggestion is to send it in for repairs.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

According to Canon's documentation, that error implies an issue with "images", which I assume means a problem with the media card. If you tried and used different cards and still see the error then it might mean an issue with the CF/SD I/O board in the camera.

Have you tried both SD and CF cards?

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:32 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

Yes, you should send it in. Unless you bought the camera in the first two months there should still be some warranty left.

EBH

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:34 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

I believe this is from a Lens Rental article:

Err 70: Image malfunction
Something related to the data being captured and/or written to the memory card is detected as being problematic in some way… this may not be a simple memory card error, although of course that can’t be ruled out.

You show different card but was it the other type of card? That could rule out a bad card slot or bent pins.

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM
firingsquad
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

update.

I've reset the camera back to factory settings. it worked fine until I started setting up all my custom functions, and basic settings. i'm not sure what is triggering the issue but if I just leave the camera alone and only change minor things (key beep, AF Illumination, Raw/Jpeg, ECT. ECT.) the camera works just fine.

Nov 20, 2017 at 01:07 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

Reported spam post from:

jammartinn1987

Nov 20, 2017 at 02:26 PM
firingsquad
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

Figured I'd come post an update on this. After resetting all the custom settings in the camera I was able to use it for a short period of time before it finally just completely locked up. Resetting changed nothing, and I would just get an Error Code 70 after every shot.

Frustrated, the camera sat on the shelf and I just shot film until I shipped the camera back to Canon last Saturday. I heard from Canon the day after they received it (Wednesday) and was given a $629.00 repair estimate!!!! I immediately called after receiving their email estimate to find out exactly what was wrong with the camera. The customer service rep told me that the camera needed a Main PCB Board Assy. Baffled as to how such a new camera could need such an expensive repair I asked to talk to someone who could give me more info.

After some back and fourth we came to an agreement that resulted in Canon covering the entire labor cost and my final bill coming out to $409.51. I reluctantly paid, but am not psyched with Canon right now.

the service details read as follows:
Your product has been examined and it was found that the interface assembly did not operate properly causing an error to be displayed. The interface was replaced. Product functions were confirmed. Remapping C'mos, Clean sensor, Adjust C'mos and shutter speeds.

parts replaced:

PCB assy, Bottom
PCB assy, Main With Li Battery
Screw, Cross-recess, PH s

This is essentially a brand new camera. Shutter count was just over 2k and image count just over 3k. Never been dropped, Never gotten wet, never abused.

I got the camera back today (impressive turn around time) and have taken some shots, everything seems ok.

Feb 10, 2018 at 07:17 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

It was not clear to me if the camera was within the one year Canon warantee period or not when it was sent in.

In any case, I can understand being upset.

Feb 10, 2018 at 07:38 PM
VictorJB
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

For a camera with only 2k shutter count, I’m surprised the camera is older than 1 year. If it was less than a year old it should have been covered under warranty.

Feb 10, 2018 at 07:57 PM
firingsquad
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

It's out of warranty by time.

Feb 10, 2018 at 07:57 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

firingsquad wrote:
It's out of warranty by time.

And you're angry at Canon why?

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:52 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

StarNut wrote:
And you're angry at Canon why?

Because these things suck. I know it's the luck of the draw, but it still stings.

Feb 12, 2018 at 03:22 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

Paul Mo wrote:
Because these things suck. I know it's the luck of the draw, but it still stings.

Sure it "stings." But the camera was out of warranty. Canon fixed it in about 30 minutes, didn't charge him for labor, and returned it immediately. I find Canon's behavior exemplary here.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:21 AM
firingsquad
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

Maybe you missed the part where I said this thing had 3000 photos taken on it. This isnt an old workhorse...

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:44 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

firingsquad wrote:
Maybe you missed the part where I said this thing had 3000 photos taken on it. This isnt an old workhorse...

No, I didn't. I can understand being disappointed, but a warranty is a warranty. And you sat on it for three months while the warranty ran out. Do you really expect Canon to ignore their warranty? They were very nice to you, and you're publicly crapping on them.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:49 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

Yes, normally when that 1-year warranty runs out you have to pay however unfair it may seem. Sometimes it helps to directly carry it to the repair office and have a friendly chat with the counter girls or tech. I've managed to get a couple out of warranty repairs for free. They offered the comp (I didn't ask for it) but a face to face explanation works better than over the phone.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:07 PM
firingsquad
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

It was out while it sat

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:25 AM
mikeralph

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5d Mark IV error code 70

Remove the battery, and all power AC. Keep pressing power button for like 15 seconds. Then try again.

Mar 17, 2020 at 03:11 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.