Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · How do you market your associate photographers?

jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you market your associate photographers?

I want to cut back on the number of hours I spend shooting weddings next year. I really only want to spend about 3-4 hours shooting then leave. I also would like to just concentrate on the creative shots and leave all of the standard coverage to my second shooter. I will still do all the editing. I have a second shooter who is willing to take over handling the bulk a wedding and I'm happy to let her do so. She already does this for another photographer.

The question is, "how do I sell this concept to potential brides?".

Nov 18, 2017 at 06:07 PM
amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you market your associate photographers?

While I'm not so sure this is a great idea, I guess this is how I'd handle it...

"On your wedding day, I have an associate photographer that specializes in *blank* for me. While I am your main photographer covering *blank*, my associate will cover *blank*. Rest assured, I always check with my clients before I my exit, and leave specific instructions for my associate for the remainder of the evening. Also rest assured I trust my associate photographer with my life."

Again, I think it'd be a huge red flag for most couples. I know my first question as a potential would be, "you're not going to be there for the entire day?" Personally, I wouldn't hire a photographer that told me this.

Alternatively, you have the option to show up and surprise them with leaving it in your associate's hands. This might be better, but you'll still have some huffy clients. It may even work with some... because let's face it; some don't even care by their third drink. No doubt, someone will come along and blame you for something because you weren't there. I definitely see this happening at some point.

Lastly, if you market like Hoffer and the like, and bring them to every consult, it might make it all a different story. Just keep in mind they are now weighing you both in their decision.

I just see this ending badly, myself.

Nov 18, 2017 at 08:20 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you market your associate photographers?

I'm sure there's a way to sell it. What I'd give to outsource the family formals.

But I think many will see it for what it really is: "my wedding isn't important enough to him"

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:30 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you market your associate photographers?

Thanks guys for the responses. My plan would be to take my second shooter with me to the consults. However I can see your points. I'm just wondering how people like Tony "sell their associates" to clients.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:04 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you market your associate photographers?

The only issue I see is the shortness of time at a wedding you yourself will be providing coverage.

-Mark

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:24 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you market your associate photographers?

Ziffl3 wrote:
The only issue I see is the shortness of time at a wedding you yourself will be providing coverage.

-Mark

Ideally, I would like to shoot the bride and/or groom getting ready, the wedding itself, the formals, the B&G pics and the wedding party entrance. I would like my assoicate to take over the rest of the dance and exit photos. After the first dance, there is not a whole lot that happens at the vast majority of the weddings I shoot that really requires a lot of skill.

Nov 19, 2017 at 01:30 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you market your associate photographers?

jcolman wrote:
Ideally, I would like to shoot the bride and/or groom getting ready, the wedding itself, the formals, the B&G pics and the wedding party entrance. I would like my assoicate to take over the rest of the dance and exit photos. After the first dance, there is not a whole lot that happens at the vast majority of the weddings I shoot that really requires a lot of skill.

That's exactly what I imagined you are planning. I stick to my previous response. However, if you outline it like this to the client, it may be viewed as acceptable. Just expect to lose occasional opportunities based on some of the points I previously mentioned.

As for how Hoffer markets, start by viewing how he markets them on the web. Done right, I can see that being a big plus. However, you're talking really about a "second shooter", not someone capable of doing your level of work. That makes a difference. If you think Tony's web marketing is working, then drop him a line to ask how he handles it via consults. I would imagine he sets up additional consults for the shooter assigned the gig. My point is, second shooters are second shooter.

Nov 19, 2017 at 02:22 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you market your associate photographers?

amonline wrote:
That's exactly what I imagined you are planning. I stick to my previous response. However, if you outline it like this to the client, it may be viewed as acceptable. Just expect to lose occasional opportunities based on some of the points I previously mentioned.

As for how Hoffer markets, start by viewing how he markets them on the web. Done right, I can see that being a big plus. However, you're talking really about a "second shooter", not someone capable of doing your level of work. That makes a difference. If you think Tony's web marketing is working, then drop
...Show more

Good points. My second shooter however is quite good with shooting receptions. She's been working with me for the last 5 years and has picked up how I like to light receptions.

I'll check out Tony's site.

Nov 19, 2017 at 04:18 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you market your associate photographers?

Got-cha.... Mr Coolman. that makes sense. Sounds like a plan.

Nov 19, 2017 at 04:38 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you market your associate photographers?

jcolman wrote:
Good points. My second shooter however is quite good with shooting receptions. She's been working with me for the last 5 years and has picked up how I like to light receptions.

So, I would imagine bringing them to every consult will help tremendously. They'll just have to present themselves at a consult like it's their business too.

Nov 19, 2017 at 05:11 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you market your associate photographers?

Hey Jim,
Saw this post a bit ago but we were out of the country and I didn't have time to reply...

1. If I were you in the situation you're thinking about, I'd probably not market it as an 'associate' or a '2nd'. To me, that just seems like you're setting yourself up to do lots of explaining and justifying. Instead, I'd describe it as a 2 person team that have a unique way of concentrating on what you're best at. I think doing that (and showing work that supports it) would be pretty effective. I agree with the above that it would be most effective if clients met both of you.

2. What you're looking to do is quite different than what we do, so I probably can't give you much insight for that. I'll just say that we've always promoted/shared the work of all our people as equals. Our opening slideshow includes equal work from everybody. All portfolios, prices, etc are separate as well. We wanted to have a team of A shooters instead of an A shooter and some B shooters. Therefore, we treat it as such.

3. One piece of advice for you: People generally suck with change. No matter how good your shooter is, it will take people a while to get used to another person working under a business with your name on it. It takes a while for clients to get comfortable referring it, get used to the names, like the work... etc. No matter what you do, this will take time to resonate. It's certainly possible, but just know going in that people are inherently turned off by change.

Nov 19, 2017 at 05:13 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you market your associate photographers?

The way that I have marketed an associate in years past was to offer their services on dates in which I was already booked and at a lessor fee than if I was shooting their wedding. I think it would be hard to explain the reason why I was leaving after a certain point in the day to turn the coverage over to a 2nd and not expect the client to request a discount for me not staying to the end.

Nov 19, 2017 at 05:16 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you market your associate photographers?

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the advice. I've got a lot of thinking to do.

I don't want to fully *retire* from the business just yet....but I don't want to spend 10-11 hours shooting anymore. I could always simply cut down on the hours I've offered, but I have built my business on the precept that I will be with the couple from beginning to end on their wedding day.

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:41 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you market your associate photographers?

jcolman wrote:
I don't want to fully *retire* from the business just yet....but I don't want to spend 10-11 hours shooting anymore. I could always simply cut down on the hours I've offered, but I have built my business on the precept that I will be with the couple from beginning to end on their wedding day.

This is kind of where I'm at (part-timer, though).

Shooting weddings is really only viable for me if I book 10h days. It's what my market expects, and where the money is.

But a 10h day, for many of my weddings, can be exhausting. There's an expectation here that the wedding photographer act as the wedding planner, day-of coordinator and post-ceremony entertainment.

I'd love to shoot nothing but elopements, I wouldn't be able to book enough to justify the overhead and lost weekends.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:16 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.