New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Manual focusing on A7rII or III

wolfloid
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manual focusing on A7rII or III

Using my wife's A6000 and an adaptor I find I can focus my 35/1.4 Lux asph relatively easily and relatively reliably, even wide open, without having to magnify or use the, to me, confusing coloured peaking. I see what I can only describe as a slight shimmer when something is in focus (it needs at least one edge or line) and this seems to match the in focus point when I magnify to check.

Now, I realise that this is an APS-C camera, and that things might be different on full frame. I'm also aware that the evf resolution is much lower than on the A7rII or III. What I don't understand is whether this lens will still 'shimmer' when in focus on the FF cameras, or, if it does, will it be more or less obvious or more or less accurate. Can anyone explain what is happening and what their experience has been? My hope is, of course, that the larger screens and higher pixel count of the newer FF evf's will make everything even easier, but I just don't know.

Nov 18, 2017 at 01:23 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manual focusing on A7rII or III

I only have A7r's but have no problem with MF lens. I think the shimmering you are referring to is if you use focus peaking (which I rarely use unless I'm shooting a moving subject). I normally just use the magnifier in EVF - not liveview. You may want to check out this thread - which gave some good viewpoints on A7x manual focusing.

Nov 18, 2017 at 06:11 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manual focusing on A7rII or III

The shimmering comes from highly detailed objects like grass and textiles and the pixel structure, its the detail that's visible in in-focus areas that shimmers, as the area transitions to OOF the shimmer is reduced, this is also true with focus screens.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:12 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manual focusing on A7rII or III

wolfloid wrote:
Using my wife's A6000 and an adaptor I find I can focus my 35/1.4 Lux asph relatively easily and relatively reliably, even wide open, without having to magnify or use the, to me, confusing coloured peaking. I see what I can only describe as a slight shimmer when something is in focus (it needs at least one edge or line) and this seems to match the in focus point when I magnify to check.

Now, I realise that this is an APS-C camera, and that things might be different on full frame. I'm also aware that the evf resolution is much
...Show more

Using the a7II or a7rII the shimmer is accurate enough:

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:37 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manual focusing on A7rII or III

the shimmer is an aliasing artifact that occurs when the details in focus exceed the resolution of the evf. it can be made more visible by increasing the sharpening on the cameras jpeg settings (which effect evf image). higher resolution evfs make the shimmer finer, but they also make the pop into focus at the focus plane easier to see.

Nov 19, 2017 at 01:44 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manual focusing on A7rII or III

the shimmer is an aliasing artifact that occurs when the details in focus exceed the resolution of the evf

Yes, it's for that reason that I thought that it might be less obvious on the higher resolution evf's. Is it possible to raise the sharpening on the jpeg settings for the A7rII or III? I can't see how to do this on the A6000. Is it possible to raise it enough on the A7r cameras to compensate for the higher res evf and to make it effective?

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:23 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manual focusing on A7rII or III

@ telyt

Do you always use 'shimmer' focusing in preference to magnifying or peaking. If not, in what circumstances do you choose each?

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:25 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Manual focusing on A7rII or III

wolfloid wrote:
Yes, it's for that reason that I thought that it might be less obvious on the higher resolution evf's. Is it possible to raise the sharpening on the jpeg settings for the A7rII or III? I can't see how to do this on the A6000. Is it possible to raise it enough on the A7r cameras to compensate for the higher res evf and to make it effective?

yes, it's in the "creative styles" settings, not anything related to file quality like you'd expect. for each "creative style" you can adjust contrast, sharpness, and saturation and see the effects in the viewfinder. i find using the neutral or portrait creative style with contrast turned all the way down and sharpness turned all the way up to be most effective for using the shimmer focusing method on the a7/a7r.

Nov 19, 2017 at 08:19 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Manual focusing on A7rII or III

wolfloid wrote:
@ telyt

Do you always use 'shimmer' focusing in preference to magnifying or peaking. If not, in what circumstances do you choose each?

I use peaking rarely, for example for raptors overhead where I can see the peaking 'zone' on various parts of the bird and put the best part of the zone on the bird's head

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/buteo/fehawk06.jpg

I'll use magnification if the critter isn't moving quickly

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/haliaeetus/baeagl06.jpg

most often I use shimmer by itself

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/fringillidae/spinus/legold20.jpg

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:42 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Manual focusing on A7rII or III

Thanks Seboh and Telyt for those responses.

Nov 20, 2017 at 02:49 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.