https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4569/37604916575_6df654556b_h.jpg

Edited on Nov 17, 2017 at 09:09 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2017 at 05:59 PM
gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bavanni.....

Looks to be a lovely portrait of a lovely woman

wish it was in focus... looks like camera shake.

greg

Nov 17, 2017 at 08:49 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bavanni.....

that blurring is in the translation here on FM. or it is in the black and white conversion process. here is the original image.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4552/38446310576_1547ab066c_h.jpg

Miss Malaysia

Canon EOS 1D X EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM @ f/2.8 105.0 mm 1/1000sec iso200 difficult to get motion /camera shake at this shutter speed

thanks for pointing that out to me. it is not like that on my system. i will find the problem and repost the BW image. hmmm, maybe i lost something coming from DxO to PS. in any event i'll find the problem.

Edited on Nov 18, 2017 at 02:50 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2017 at 09:11 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bavanni.....

If this were my image, I would not convert it. The color image is excellent. Beautiful subject, great colors. I think the lovely muted colors in the background add a lot, too, and are lost in the black and white. The highlights in her hair are fantastic and the black and white of her outfit pops quite nicely. Black and white is often great because it brings out so much texture. Plenty of texture in the color version. Plus, the crop is better as her hand has more room off the lower edge. Why mess with perfection!

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:24 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bavanni.....

i agree.....

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:41 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bavanni.....

The color version is excellent ... why convert it. Not sure what was done to the B&W version, but it is blurry looking like it's OOF.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:31 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bavanni.....

It IS a nice portrait, especially the posture of her right hand, but why is there so much sand on her. That's distracting and her teeth are way too white - chiclets white, and lastly, why post an untagged image that will look vastly different on different gamut screens?

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:07 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bavanni.....

why so much sand? we're on the beach, wind, high surf, walking in sand, climbing on the rocks and dunes, going inside the coves and caves, etc.

have you ever seen blue-black very dark skinned black people? they have a natural whiteness to their teeth. the darker the skin, typically the whiter the teeth. that is the natural whiteness of her well kept hygienic teeth. or may be just may be she had her teeth whitened?

really, how petty. in all of my experience, i have never had to explain the whiteness of well kept teeth.

untagged? explain the meaning.

ps. the only thing about her that is distracting to me is her beauty. the girl is phine, from the tip of her nose till the tip of her toes and everything between, a black beauty. lol.....,

Nov 18, 2017 at 03:05 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bavanni.....

Oh, R.H. Hate to say it, but I'm pretty well known for photos of African Americans and know full well about all of the problems with shiny dark skin and contrasty teeth. Dude, I'm giving you my feedback. There's no detail in the teeth even though the numbers are roughly in the 230 range. Just too glaringly white in my opinion, but hey, they're your photos. As far as the sand goes, yes, I know you were at the beach. It's still distracting and would likely look better cleaned up. You should do retouched on a layer you can click on and off too see. Tagged, untagged. That means you've posted a file with no embedded profile, so, effectively, it's not color managed. Depending on what color space the image is actually in, the specific monitor you're viewing on, and, of course, the browser, the file will either view more or less normal or it will be more or less saturated than it should be.

Nov 18, 2017 at 08:17 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bavanni.....

the color profile is Adobe RGB edited with DxO exported to CS6 downsized to 1600 mp long side. the exif is still embedded via flickr. which most sRGB monitors and browsers can't handle anyway.

we are not talking about oily skin. that is a human characteristic of all races. i'm talking about the whiteness of the teeth. as i have stated above the darker the skin, typically the whiter the teeth. that is the natural whiteness of her well kept hygienic teeth. or maybe just maybe she had her teeth whitened.

it was not a fashion or commercial shoot. therefore impo it should not be judged as such. yes i could have pped out the sands spects. but i'm not making a dime not one red ¢ by posting. yes, it would look better without the sand bits. but i'm not going to remove them. to do so would diminish the moment, imho. one is just sharing an fine art image of a lovely young lady. shot in fine fashion on the fly by a Master Photographer, me. lol

that's nit pickin'. i challenge you to give me some constructive destructive critique. something that would enhance my knowledge challenge one to acquire the next level of skill. expand my horizons well beyond where they are at this moment in time. inspire me to become better than i already am. talk with me about composition position lighting depth of field framing if you had chosen to use a 1.2 prime vs a 2.8. talk to me on the level deserved. not like a beginner with no knowledge or skill in our craft. in other words stop insulting me with superficial commentary.

therefore, when you comment to me. let it be substantial. that which shall bestow upon me a knowledge to improve my craft. lol, did i say that? yes i did and i mean it. superficiality, keep it to yourself. that which will enhance my skills bring it. end of line.....

Nov 18, 2017 at 09:10 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bavanni.....

+1 on dusting off sand on her hand and hair. I would also clean off the lint on her shirt.

Now, if she were dressed for the beach, or if you could even tell she was on the beach, the sand would add context to the image - otherwise, just looks like a lack of attention to detail.

FWIW, her white teeth don't bother me

HTH

greg

Nov 18, 2017 at 09:30 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bavanni.....

" yes, it would look better without the sand bits. but i'm not going to remove them. to do so would diminish the moment"

So how would making the image look better, which you agree that it would, diminish the moment. That makes no sense. Since I shoot a LOT of people for all sorts of purposes, here's my approach. When we're having a conversation with a person or even shooting a video, we're rarely concentrating on a single frame but when we make a still image, all we can do is concentrate on that single frame. A lot of little things you would never notice or that would never bother you in an in person conversation or in a motion video - the sand, the dirt, the stray hairs, the shirt cuffs, etc.- all of a sudden become all that you see. What I do generally is make my still image mimic the FEELING I had when I was personally interacting with that person but not usually (unless requested) taking years or pounds off. This is all stuff that takes 2-3 minutes in Ps if you're competently fast.

As far as using the excuse of not being paid for that image and using that as your excuse to not make it better, which you agree it could be, well, that's on you and your personal standards. Personally, I don't care whether I'm being paid or not, I will always make the image the best I can no matter what the price because that image is always representing me and my craft. You know the old maxim - you're only as good as your worst work. Well, if that's the image someone sees and they think that's representative, you've only given yourself bad PR.

The file you posted is completely devoid of any metadata that would indicate camera, lens, exposure info, ISO, embedded icc profile, etc. Don't know what DXO is doing there, but I bet there are some preferences that let you retain all that.

Nov 18, 2017 at 09:34 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bavanni.....

you're only as good as your worst work. Well, if that's the image someone sees and they think that's representative, you've only given yourself bad PR if this is representative of my worst work how good am i?

i am a purist i don't believe in a lot of post in PS. if the sand is there for this shot it is there it is how it was shot. ok i violated my self and took a few sand specks off her face. that is it, i refuse to remove all of the sand because it was there when i shot it. just because you can alter the photo does not make it right, from my perspective. it represents a captured moment in time. not a rendition of time altered and diminished by photoshop. life is not perfect the world is not perfect nor is a photograph. judge the image on it merit, not some manipulate perfection achieved in post processing.

again can the image be improved in post? yes. is the photograph good as is? yes it is. does the photograph display the intended message? yes it does, devoid of photoshop. is the exposure correct? yes it it is. is the photograph composed correctly yes it is. does the photograph invoke your emotion? yes it does. is the photograph in focus? yes it is. can the photograph stand alone by its' technical merit? yes it can. does the photograph have good background separation? yes it does. is the photograph exposed properly? yes it is. is the lighting in the photograph correctly compensated? yes it is. does the sand add context to the image? yes it does, after all the photograph was taken on the beach.

all i'm saying is if you want to critique my images then critique them fully. not some petty the sand is distracting. put some effort into. i expect more of you.

even you could take a good photograph of her. and trust me to remove all that sand to perfection would take a lot longer than 3 minutes.

by the way my wife agrees with you. the teeth are too white she says. the 1st thing you see are her teeth and it takes away from her face. from a commercial perspective the sand is distracting from her face.

i don't agree with either of you. i maintain my initial response. there you have it at least i'm honest. end of line.....

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:53 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bavanni.....

At least we all know how you really feel. Thanks for that.

Nov 19, 2017 at 01:48 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bavanni.....

R.H. Johnson wrote:
if this is representative of my worst work how good am i?

i am a purist i don't believe in a lot of post in PS. if the sand is there for this shot it is there it is how it was shot. ok i violated my self and took a few sand specks off her face. that is it, i refuse to remove all of the sand because it was there when i shot it. just because you can alter the photo does not make it right, from my perspective. it represents a captured moment in time.
...Show more

There is a fine line between honesty and defensiveness and you have crossed it in my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it is not very eloquently or respectfully stated (chiclets white?). I do like the image and think it speaks for itself. I think it is better just to thank the person who offers a negative critique. A negative response to a negative critique only leads to more negativity. All of the personality on display detracts from the wonderful image that is on display. My two cents.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:02 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bavanni.....

Chiclets is a subtle Shel Silverstein reference, but quite descriptive.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:13 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bavanni.....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4577/38535362316_edc25f9a31_o.jpg

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:39 AM
pasblues
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bavanni.....

I like the camera shake version. It's a creative option. Gives it a vintage feel.

Antonin Kratochvil has a portrait of George Clooney that punches a bit of a hole in the idea that portraiture has to be tack sharp. I share it here educationally with full credit to Antonin Kratochvil to illustrate the point:

Nov 27, 2017 at 08:44 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.