New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New camera this weekend

photofyffer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New camera this weekend

So after a thread and some help from the community here I have decided on a Nikon d610 and a 50mm 1.8g afs. Like to add a 70-200 then not sure on the wider end. Maybe 24 1.4 art. U think that a dec t kit to start. ?

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:15 AM
saaber1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New camera this weekend

50 1.8g is a great value, a sharp lens, and very useful focal length (lacking in Bokeh department but at that price it's great). D610 is a good camera but has an older AF system relative to newer FF cameras which may or may not be a big deal depending on what u like to shoot. If a d750 is only slightly more (I don't know if u are shopping new or used) I would go for that but if it is significantly more the d610 should serve u well and is a good camera. 70-200 2.8 vr II is a fantastic lens and have heard great things about tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 also but have not shot it myself. I love the 70-200 2.8 VR II, but prefer an 85mm prime for portraits. So depending on what u like to shoot, one or more primes can be used instead of the 70-200 (just an option). Nikon 85 1.8g, tokina 100mm 2.8, and samyang/rokinon 135mm f2 (manual focus) are all good inexpensive portrait lenses.

Lots and lots of different options for wider primes are available. Some I can recommend are irix 15mm 2.4, Nikon 20mm 1.8g, Nikon 24mm 1.8g (if u don't care too much about less than ideal Bokeh), tamron 35mm 1.8 VC. I purposely left out the higher priced options such as Nikon 1.4 lenses, sigma 14mm art, and zeiss only due to price (although u can find used zeiss classic 35mm and possibly others for same price as some of the nikons I mentioned). 50mm is a great starter and all rounder focal length and once u learn what style and look u prefer u can get other focal lengths based on that. Check out Flickr photos for each lens to get an idea of what that focal length and rendering are like and see which lenses really jump out at you. Note that for the lenses mentioned above irix, samyang/rokinon and zeiss lenses are manual focus only. At 15mm Af is not really needed much at all because any target more than 4' away (or whatever that distance is) the focus is already at "infinity".

A couple other quick starter suggestions are to buy thom hogans book on d610 (I assume he has one for that body) or a similar all encompassing book that will tell u all the intricacies of the camera and what settings are commonly used. Also learn to use "AF-ON" or "back button focusing" if you haven't already. Using AF-ON focusing alone will help a lot with AF and u may not notice much of a drawback to the d610 Af system (it's not a bad system by any means just older). Avoid Af-a. Af-s is good and using af-c with Af-On gives u maximum focus control and flexibility. In af-c mode and using Af-on focusing u can hold down the af-on button for continuos focusing or release af-on button to lock focus, press again to refocus etc. Finally, avoid Ken Rockwells site. It can lead u down the wrong path (especially beginners) and it can take u years and potentially a lot of $ to undo. Sites like fred Miranda have knowledgeable individuals who can give u informative advice (like the very good d610 and 50mm 1.8g recommendation) just be careful of what you listen to as I see a lot of misinformation out there.

Nov 18, 2017 at 04:11 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.