New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

elkhornsun
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

I have bought a Gitzo 3 series, RRS TVC-34L, and a Feisol CT-3472 tripod in the past couple of years. The Gitzo tripod was poorly engineered and pieces had broken off in the shipping box and so I shipped it back to B&H. The Feisol collapses to less than 22 inches and has a quick level head so it is my first choice for landscape and panoramas and video and overseas travel. The RRS goes to 68 inches or 10 inches higher than the Feisol tripod and it is my choice for bird photography where I need to shoot up into the trees with a 500mm or 600mm lens.

In terms of build quality the Feisol and RRS tripods are dead even. The RRS cost me $1100 and so was not nearly as good a value as the Feisol tripod. The Feisol has the option of adding a center column or adding a quick level plate which is not nearly as well implemented with the RRS tripods. The Feisol, unlike the Gitzo and RRS tripods, includes an excellent tripod carry case. With Gitzo and RRS all I got was a cloth sack that ended up in the trash.

I do have the Gitzo 2531LVL tripod which was well designed at the time but it is inferior to the Feisol CT-3472 in every respect. The Feisol can take any lens made and has zero flexing of the legs and no flexing of the top section of the tripod which can occur when using very large and relatively heavy super telephoto lenses. The RRS tripod is equally rigid but then it cost twice as much as the Feisol tripod.

I do not know the current situation but over the past years the customer service from Gitzo has fallen badly and so getting a problem tripod serviced under warranty is not something I would count on.

Nov 19, 2017 at 06:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

i'm afraid you are not looking into the details. you are giving your products a cursory glance far from detailed or possibly you are not looking at the same product i am. i have had contact with both.

Nov 19, 2017 at 07:34 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

I agree with elkhornsun. RRS aren't always the best tripods and from my experience, Gitzo products at times seems like cheap Chinese knock offs compared to the cheap Chinese knock offs that outperform them.

You really have to be careful when buying tripods if you can't get a hands on with them. The quality of design, materials, and functionality can vary widely with each brand. I settled on a Benro back when they were cheap. It has been around the world and beat to hell and has never had a single problem. It came with an awesome carry bag and ice spikes that have been very useful for ice and snow. I had a few friends that have sold off their RRS and Gitzo gear to switch to the Benro I have.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:49 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

Thanks to all that contributed. There were lot's of good workable tripods suggested. I've researched tripods for nearly a year now and guess it was time to pull the trigger. I choose the RRS 34L and the BH-55 head. It may be debatable whether or not this is the "best bang for the buck tripod." But by almost all standards it's a very good tripod. The only downside is weight.

For a long hike tripod, I will take my old antique Welt Safe-Lock tripod and put a RRS Lever release clamp on it and make due until another day. The old Welt tripod actually has a unique lever system that quickly releases all the legs, quite unlike anything made today that I am aware of.

Thanks again for all the comments. Every one of them was helpful.

Nov 20, 2017 at 05:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

it won't be once you use it.

Nov 20, 2017 at 07:04 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

The RRS TVC-34L is very stable. I have used mine at heights of over 60 inches with a 11 lb. 600mm f/4 lens mounted and it was very solid. Often I have experienced lateral flexing of tripod legs where they are joined when using a very heavy and very long lens. The legs might be OK but the top connection plate design would cause problems. With designers trying to make tripods lighter and more compact for travel there can be compromises to the tripod that are not apparent on paper.

For a lightweight hiking tripod I take a shorter tripod with a maximum height of less than 36 inches. I use a 15 lb. or even a 8 lb. rated ballhead as I will be using it with a camera with the 24-70mm or lighter lens.

Nov 24, 2017 at 07:43 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

I have gitzo, rrs, and feisol tripods. I would pick it based on how a particular tripod fits your needs. I use the gitzo xls simply because it is something like 10" taller than the rrs for only something like a 5 oz weight penalty. In most situations I only need 3 of the 4 leg sections to get to my working height. It becomes a 4 section tripod only when I need extra height say when I'm working on a slope. I use a feisol for my backpack tripod because it is the lightest tripod I could find that gets up to a reasonable height without a center post. I have a rrs tripod for travel that will fit in a suitcase where as my gitzo must go in a duffle bag. The downside is that it is not suitable for a big lens.

I don't have the latest gitzo tripod but I believe it will accept the gitzo spiked feet with the rubber cap. This is what I always put on my tripods anyway.

Nov 24, 2017 at 08:32 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

Flowernut wrote:
I have gitzo, rrs, and feisol tripods. I would pick it based on how a particular tripod fits your needs. I use the gitzo xls simply because it is something like 10" taller than the rrs for only something like a 5 oz weight penalty. In most situations I only need 3 of the 4 leg sections to get to my working height. It becomes a 4 section tripod only when I need extra height say when I'm working on a slope. I use a feisol for my backpack tripod because it is the lightest tripod I could find that
...Show more

Ditto. I also own gitzo, rrs, and feisol tripods. In my opinion, RRS and Gitzo are indistinguishable when it comes to quality.
Ballheads, OTOH, are much much different. I'd never buy a Gitzo ballhead.

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:42 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

Elijah wrote:
I'd never buy a Gitzo ballhead.

Me neither. Very, very few companies make both good, reliable tripods and ballheads. Maybe a couple, and Gitzo isn't one of them.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:45 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

peter_n wrote:
Me neither. Very, very few companies make both good, reliable tripods and ballheads. Maybe a couple, and Gitzo isn't one of them.

That's "old-think". The new Gitzo center ball-heads, especially those with friction control (GH-1382QD and GH-3382QD) are great heads. Some of the old heads left a lot to be desired, but the new models changed things for the better.

Nov 30, 2017 at 06:36 PM
Pchi

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

sjms wrote:
to start:
major metal components:
Gitzo: Mg Alloy with special overpaint. over paint required for increased corrosion resistance
RRS: Machined 6061 Al alloy anodized. just designed and built better overall.

come close in various ways:
ProMedia Gear
FLM
Jobu
Feisol

other makes beyond these right now are essentially variations on a theme

previous owner of a few Gitzo models current owner of RRS models.

remember, the devil is in the details

I have been researching what traveller tripod to get for backpacking. I narrowed it down to FLM cp-26 and gitzo 1551.

I decided to go with FLM, since it seems to be sturdier and it fits my height better. Do you have any experience with FLM? Its hard to find reviews on this company.

Dec 01, 2017 at 07:22 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

I've seen them at the Photo Plus Show in NYC. their product is pretty simple (a good thing) details are, as i have said, where things get a little weak. but compared to the others not including the RRS TFC/TQC14 its better than the others.
tomorrow i'm off to California and starting the trip in Joshua Tree NP and then bouncing around to a few other locations. the TFC14 just drops into the roller.

just 1.5 wks ago it was partnered up with me in Japan for 2 wks. overall height is relative to overall weight and stiffness. I choose stiffness as the primary factor in choice.

In addition I'm not exactly looking for a new set of legs since I have what I have. I don't see too many trying to get to that level w/o a bit more compromise.

Dec 01, 2017 at 07:48 PM
Pchi

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

Yea, that was I was hoping to get a little more details. I did check out the rrs 14, but ruled that oh because it's folded length is longer than the other two. I know that the carbon fiber used on the flm cp26 is made in Japan and in most cases better than carbon fiber made in China. It's also 10 layers, so for smaller diameter legs makes it stiffer. The only reviews I saw, 2 of them, we're from a well known YouTube's who uses rrs as his main, not the traveller size, and he o,my had good things to say about it. He had to replace his feisol that he had issues with. The other reviewer just reviews tripods and he was surprised by the flm and he ended up buying it. Both,reviewers said for its size there is minimal flex relative to its size and made pretty well. Ive read customer reviews and there is not a single bad review. My only concern is it is relatively new to the US market, I guess FLM is better known in Europe and Asia, and has been around for 20 years mostly known for ballhead. My only concern is there are no reviews in the long term with known issues.

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:08 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

sjms wrote:
to start:
major metal components:
Gitzo: Mg Alloy with special overpaint. over paint required for increased corrosion resistance
RRS: Machined 6061 Al alloy anodized. just designed and built better overall.

come close in various ways:
ProMedia Gear
FLM
Jobu
Feisol

other makes beyond these right now are essentially variations on a theme

previous owner of a few Gitzo models current owner of RRS models.

remember, the devil is in the details

worst devil is parts & service for Gitzo in the US

OTOH, I've used Gitzo since my Star-D was stolen in 1990 or so, and have only had one problem (glue failure) I decided to let Man-Frodo fix it and it was done quickly

but I wanted to add a center column part once and it took forever to arrive

if you need things now and have the budget, I'd look first to RRS

if you are on a small budget, and can wait, get a used RRS

if on a budget or want a backup tripod, or want one sooner rather than looking for a year, get a used Gitzo

if in Europe, FLM or Gitzo

for Ball Heads: RRS, Markins

Acratech is easily cleanable for sand use

P0 (or is it P1?) has its own fan club based on ergonomic perferences

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:22 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

Pchi wrote:
Yea, that was I was hoping to get a little more details. I did check out the rrs 14, but ruled that oh because it's folded length is longer than the other two. I know that the carbon fiber used on the flm cp26 is made in Japan and in most cases better than carbon fiber made in China. It's also 10 layers, so for smaller diameter legs makes it stiffer. The only reviews I saw, 2 of them, we're from a well known YouTube's who uses rrs as his main, not the traveller size, and he o,my had good
...Show more

FLM makes a quality product, and customer service is excellent. The North American distributor is Ari Tapiero(FLM Canada),,, and he's located in Ottawa, Ontario. Ari is very helpful, and he'll answer the phone if you ever have a question about their products. Ari's even invited me to drop by his place anytime I'm in Ottawa. (I'm an hour away). Google "FLM Canada", and give him a call.

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:38 PM
Bobarino
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

rw11 wrote:
worst devil is parts & service for Gitzo in the US

but I wanted to add a center column part once and it took forever to arrive

I order all my Gitzo parts and accessories from GitzoSpares.com and I'm blown away at their service. Their located in the U.K., and I'm in Quebec, Canada, and in several instances, my order arrived in 2 days,,, even when I ordered on a weekend.

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:47 PM
ATPphoto
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

Pchi wrote:
I have been researching what traveller tripod to get for backpacking. I narrowed it down to FLM cp-26 and gitzo 1551.

I decided to go with FLM, since it seems to be sturdier and it fits my height better. Do you have any experience with FLM? Its hard to find reviews on this company.

Contact me if you have any FLM inquiries; I'm happy to answer any questions.
http://www.flmcanada.com/contact.html
Thank you,
Ari

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:43 PM
ATPphoto
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Gitzo vs RRS tripods

Bobarino wrote:
FLM makes a quality product, and customer service is excellent. The North American distributor is Ari Tapiero(FLM Canada),,, and he's located in Ottawa, Ontario. Ari is very helpful, and he'll answer the phone if you ever have a question about their products. Ari's even invited me to drop by his place anytime I'm in Ottawa. (I'm an hour away). Google "FLM Canada", and give him a call.

Thank you!

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.