Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Better video quality than my 5DIII/24-105?

Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Better video quality than my 5DIII/24-105?

I feel like I'm really out of the loop in terms of new cameras. I used to be super active here on FM, but I haven't been for years. It's a cool feeling to be back here. Anyway, I'm looking for some improvements to the sharpness and pop I get when recording video with my 5DIII and 24-105 combo. The results are not as crispy as I'm hoping for, even with some sharpening in FinalCut.

Here's an example from doing a two-person video interview:

https://youtu.be/11vy8M-sYPM

and here's an example with just me talking solo into the camera:

https://youtu.be/75fsXgZDdK0

Ideally I'd love to get something crispy like what you'd see on a RED camera, without spending RED money.

I've heard good things about the Sigma 18-35 1.8, but that's an APS-C lens. I could get an APS-C body like the 80D, plus I'd get other benefits like continuous AF during video recording plus a flip out LCD that'd make it way easier to see my framing while I'm shooting. (Currently I'm using an Android cell phone connected to the 5D3 via USB, sitting on the hotshoe, and acting like an external LCD, haha.)

I'm not sure if I wanna go that route though and am wondering if something like a 16-35 would be a better pick. That focal range is good for me for the videos I'd like to do. I don't necessarily need to shoot at 2.8 or anything since I'd like some DOF as I move forward and backward a little. At the same time, I'm a fan of having some bokeh in the background.

I'm open to changing platforms as well. I've been eyeing the Sony A7S and now A7S II for a while for the low light capabilities that'd be handy for shooting stills, plus the phenomenal video capabilities too. I also like that it shoots 4K. I don't necessarily need to shoot 4K, but if I was getting a new body, it may make sense to get that as well. Canon doesn't have a ton of good 4K options.

So yeah, just thinking aloud a bit. What would you guys suggest in terms of a new lens.. or would a new camera fit the bill better too?

Nov 16, 2017 at 09:05 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Better video quality than my 5DIII/24-105?

Perhaps A6300?

Nov 16, 2017 at 09:43 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Better video quality than my 5DIII/24-105?

Optics and lighting.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:59 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Better video quality than my 5DIII/24-105?

A dedicated video camera?

Nov 17, 2017 at 08:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.