Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Best Third Party AF Lenses for Use on Leica SL?

petermendelson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Third Party AF Lenses for Use on Leica SL?

Can anyone suggest the best third party AF lens as an alternative to the pricey Leica 50mm SL Summilux but that still has a bit of the 3D separation that the SL lens has?

I have the Novoflex EOS-SL adapter and was thinking about the Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, the Sigma 35mm or 50mm f/1.4 Art lenses, or the Canon 50mm f/1.2L. The AF does not have to be super speedy but it has to work with the Novoflex. I am leaning towards the Canon 35mm L just because I slightly prefer the 35mm FOV, but am open to either. TIA!

Nov 16, 2017 at 03:50 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Third Party AF Lenses for Use on Leica SL?

The SL50 is without doubt the best 50 I've ever used. There's a 35mm 'cron coming out soon. Likely it'll be cheaper lighter and faster focusing than the 50 'lux.

The Canon 50mm 1.2 focuses on the SL. Maybe even a bit faster than the native lens. It has some focus shift to take into account and it's not in the same league as the Leica.

I don't know about the 35 and 50 Arts but the focus on the 85 is flakey and I have mine firmly set as a manual focus lens. I have never tried the 35LII.

I'd be inclined to spend a bit in a camera shop and try them out. The Novoflex adaptors seem to be a bit flakey. Mine doesn't focus on the Art 85 but others report it does. My 12-24 worked nd then didn't and now does again. I'd try before you buy.

Gordon

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:39 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.