New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Mark iii / focusing in Al Servo Mode explanation

Sigur Ros

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mark iii / focusing in Al Servo Mode explanation

Dear colleagues ,

Please i would kindly require future clarification regarding focusing in Al Servo Mode,

I just upgraded from mark ii to mark iii and its quite a change regarding their improved focusing system,
but to be short my question is next,

As i only use center focusing point active for precise focus on subject and run away from using zone focusing or multiplare expanded points, im confused concerning below,

1) If I am in AL servo mode and my subject is moving once i lock the focus on the subject i can then just keep my shutter pressed fully and camera will continuously be taking pictures and refocusing automatically , basically i dont need to half press every time before i take a picture , while in Al Servo mode ?

2) Now harder one , usually when my subject is still i press the shutter half way recompose how i like it in the frame and then take the picture or other words press the shutter fully, but if the subject is moving and im using single point mode and i want that he is also properly composed , once i lock the subject with the middle focusing point can i recompose him somewhere in the corner while he is moving , can camera do that ? Or while focus is locked half way , subject need to be all the time under the same active focusing point for automatic tracking so the picture can be continuously focused and sharp?

Basically if something is moving how you are framing it in the corner while maintaining focus at all times , maybe its better to use multiplare focusing points , any advice is highly appreciated .

Thanks in advance ,
Stefan K.

Nov 16, 2017 at 01:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mark iii / focusing in Al Servo Mode explanation

You can separate the AF function from setting exposure, by moving AF from the shutter button, to the * (star) button. This is commonly called, "backbutton AF". This way, you can set focus at one place, and then set exposure and take the image (by fully pressing the shutter button) at a different time, and with different framing (if you like).

Also, in AI Servo focus mode, you can maintain AF lock while tracking a moving sujbect, by mashing down the *-button, and not touching the shutter button.

When you're using both AI Servo and high-fps shooting (pushing both the shutter button and * button), the camera does AF in-between each image (which is why the mirror is flapping around so fast). When you continue to hold down the shutter button for multiple, sequential images, the AF system tracks the subject and predicts where the correct focus point will be for the next shutter fire. In this case, you get better AF results when you "machine gun" the camera; regardless of what some people say about the practice.

Here's some references you might find useful (in addition to the manual).

1DIII AI Servo AF settings guide
- http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/product/cameras/eos1dmark3/EOS_1D_Mark_III_Guide_to_AI_Servo_AF_Custom_Functions.pdf

Getting the Most from your EOS 1-Series Camera,
- www.jcolwell.ca/ftp/EOS_Digital-Getting-the-most.pdf
[was http://www.usa.canon.com/content/Handling/EOS_Digital.pdf ]

Sports Illustrated Photo (for 1DII, mostly good for 1DIII),
- http://www.siphoto.com/?canon1DM2.inc

Tailoring the camera for different situations (TDP),
- http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Information/Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-III-1Ds-Mark-III-Optimizing-AF-Settings.pdf

Nov 16, 2017 at 02:39 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.