Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · DHL Shipping Camera Equipment From Buenos Aires to Los Angeles?

garydavidjones
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DHL Shipping Camera Equipment From Buenos Aires to Los Angeles?

My wife and I are going on a cruise from Los Angeles to Buenos Aires. As we live
near the LA port we will drive to the cruise port and use the port parking of course. We return
via Latam airlines to LAX. We have considerable luggage including medical
equipment (oxygen generator, CPAP, etc.)

This is 32-day trip/cruise so I am bringing several cameras and lenses.

1) Would it be safer and easier to ship the equipment from Buenos Aires to
our home in Long Beach, Ca. via DHL or some other shipper?
(don't want to check in camera equipment.)

2) Would the cost be exorbitant?

3) Could the equipment be subject to customs duty?

Thanks for any help with this matter.

Nov 16, 2017 at 03:30 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DHL Shipping Camera Equipment From Buenos Aires to Los Angeles?

garydavidjones wrote:
1) Would it be safer and easier to ship the equipment from Buenos Aires to
our home in Long Beach, Ca. via DHL or some other shipper?

I would expect that an international courier would be relatively safe, especially if you have full insurance (which costs extra). It would be prudent to take some "before" gear photos (being well-packed, in B.A.), and to check at a domestic office, to see if they actually will ship what, when, and from where you want.

garydavidjones wrote:
2) Would the cost be exorbitant?

You should be able to get an accurate, online cost-estimate from a shipping app on a courier web site. I generally use FedEx. It currently costs about $210 US for FedEx Int. Economy (air) from Canada to the USA. I expect it would cost more from Argentina.

garydavidjones wrote:
3) Could the equipment be subject to customs duty?

Yes, unless you act before you go. In Canada, I can take a pile of gear to a local CBSA office, and get an official document (small card) that registers the S/Ns of my gear. When coming home, this becomes a "get out of customs free" card. Otherwise, you may have to pay duty, sales tax, and handling fees, or take your original receipts to a local clearing house, to get a waiver. I would try to avoid doing that.

Nov 16, 2017 at 06:21 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.