New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · 100-400 Mk II question

PatrickSweeney
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 100-400 Mk II question

I saw a bunch of these on a recent expedition cruise, and doggone if Canon hadn't taken my idea of an access door on the lens hood. (I'll admit, I probably wasn't the first. Or even the one-thousandth, to think of it.)

The question is: will this lens hood fit on the old 100-400? Because it is perfect for use with a circular polarizer.

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:14 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 100-400 Mk II question

I think Minolta/Sony had that years ago, but maybe it was somebody else.
Unfortunately the door slides too easily and for the most part is more of a PITA than it is worth.

EBH

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 100-400 Mk II question

PatrickSweeney wrote:
IThe question is: will this lens hood fit on the old 100-400? Because it is perfect for use with a circular polarizer.

I'm probably one of the few with both lenses — that comes from having more than one serious photographer in the household.

The bad news is that the v.II hood does not seem to fit on the v.I lens.

Dan

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 100-400 Mk II question

I have 5 altogether and it is correct that the 100-400 II hood will not mount on the original 100-400.

EBH

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:46 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 100-400 Mk II question

EB-1 wrote:
Unfortunately the door slides too easily and for the most part is more of a PITA than it is worth.

I agree that it slides too easily, but I disagree with "for the most part". I tried to use it to rotate my B+W polarizer, and found it impossible to actually do it through the hatch. It is a complete design failure.

I'm planning to silicone mine up.

(There are a couple of other bad design failures with this lens. It does look like, if Canon had an industrial designer working on the EOS system, they left the building years ago. Such a shame considering the pioneering work at Canon on the T-90.)

Nov 15, 2017 at 04:27 AM
MatthewK
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 100-400 Mk II question

Yeah, the door doesn't really work too well. The small opening and close proximity to the CPL ring doesn't afford enough finger space to effectively use the CPL. You're better off taking off the hood, adjusting, and replacing hood.

Edited on Nov 15, 2017 at 06:53 AM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:40 AM
PatrickSweeney
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 100-400 Mk II question

Darn, a good idea badly implemented. That's life. Thanks for the info.

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:47 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 100-400 Mk II question

The v.1 hood fits on the v.II lens. I use a generic hood (JJC or Vello) on my v.II lens, because the door was basically useless for turning a CP, and it was often getting hung up on the opening of a tight-fitting lens bag. Like @MatthewK, I take the hood off when I want to adjust a CP. Sometimes I put the hood back on before shooting, and other times not.

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:59 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 100-400 Mk II question

jcolwell wrote:
The v.1 hood fits on the v.II lens. I use a generic hood (JJC or Vello) on my v.II lens, because the door was basically useless for turning a CP, and it was often getting hung up on the opening of a tight-fitting lens bag. Like @MatthewK@, I take the hood off when I want to adjust a CP. Sometimes I put the hood back on before shooting, and other times not.

It does work? Hmmm... It certainly did not click in when I tried it last night. Did you have to use some degree of force to get it to seat? When I tried the Canon v.ii door, a normal degree of twisting and pressure did not get it to seat.

- - -

On a topic from someone else's post: The little "door" does tend to slide open. On the other hand, I typically mount my hood with the "door" down — open or closed doesn't matter most of the time, though when it does I just check that it is closed.

I agree that the feature should have been implemented more effectively, but it doesn't quite reach the "failure" statues.

Nov 15, 2017 at 09:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 100-400 Mk II question

jcolwell wrote:
The v.1 hood fits on the v.II lens. ...

gdanmitchell wrote:
It does work? Hmmm... It certainly did not click in when I tried it last night...

Works fine. I have the JJC ET-83C hood. The original Canon hood for Mk I also fits the Mk II.

It doesn't click on as securely as (most) newer Canon hoods with the lock button, but it's no worse than many others. I use gaffer's tape to secure my hoods (even the new ones), when I'll be walking around with them hanging off my shoulders, and rubbing on my legs; otherwise, it works OK, as is.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:19 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 100-400 Mk II question

jcolwell wrote:
Works fine. I have the JJC ET-83C hood. The original Canon hood for Mk I also fits the Mk II.

It doesn't click on as securely as (most) newer Canon hoods with the lock button, but it's no worse than many others. I use gaffer's tape to secure my hoods (even the new ones), when I'll be walking around with them hanging off my shoulders, and rubbing on my legs; otherwise, it works OK, as is.

Thanks. I stand corrected! (Though the gaffer's tape solution does not work for me, as I often prefer to — or need to — pack lenses with hoods reversed.)

Dan

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 100-400 Mk II question

gdanmitchell wrote:
...(Though the gaffer's tape solution does not work for me, as I often prefer to — or need to — pack lenses with hoods reversed.)

I always pack mine with hoods reversed, too. Gaffer's tape is great, because it comes off fairly easily, leaves no residue, and keeps sticky for a long time (as long as it's clean). I usually have two pieces of each about 1/2" x 3", stuck on each side of the hood. When I mount the hood, I carefully stick one piece over (along) the hood/lens joint, and keep the second piece for backup.

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:57 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 100-400 Mk II question

melcat wrote:
I agree that it slides too easily, but I disagree with "for the most part". I tried to use it to rotate my B+W polarizer, and found it impossible to actually do it through the hatch. It is a complete design failure.

(There are a couple of other bad design failures with this lens. It does look like, if Canon had an industrial designer working on the EOS system, they left the building years ago. Such a shame considering the pioneering work at Canon on the T-90.)

Interesting take, rather contrary to the praise I seem to recall Roger at LensRental lavishing on the engineering of this particular lens

Nov 16, 2017 at 05:01 AM
MatthewK
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 100-400 Mk II question

Yeah, I had replied saying the same, that LensRentals breakdown had the vII as one of the most solidly engineered Canon lens they had ever seen. But, you can have something that is well built but at the same time be poorly designed, which is why I walked back on that reply.

Curios as to the other design failures on this lens though. Weak tripod foot screws are the other one you hear about, but aside from that?

Nov 16, 2017 at 05:47 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 100-400 Mk II question

MatthewK wrote:
Curios as to the other design failures on this lens though.

1. The tripod foot. Not reported failures, but general instability of one in good condition (even on a Gitzo 3 series), the difficulty of undoing the thumbscrew for even a person like me with strong hands, and the unprotected boltholes if you carry the lens without the foot. There are actually at least 2 third party replacements available.

2. The switches are flat instead of having a grippable nub like some of my older lenses. I've lost shots because I couldn't move them in time. I get that Canon have done this with all their modern lenses, but in my book they're all wrong. I'm guessing the reason was people complained they knocked the switches taking them out of bags, but to me this is designing for the uncommon case rather than the common.

And yes I mean industrial design and not build quality. I too saw Roger's blog post.

Nov 16, 2017 at 06:52 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 100-400 Mk II question

I can deal with the flimsy access door on the hood by taping it down but the foot design whether original or third party is crappy. They are all low profile. I lug mine around a lot by the foot and there is no real room for your fingers to get a good grip. Never mind with gloves. I wish a third party would make one that is larger.

Nov 16, 2017 at 08:54 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 100-400 Mk II question

melcat wrote:

+1 A waste of time

Nov 16, 2017 at 09:58 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 100-400 Mk II question

I use the v2 lens a lot, including on the tripod (for landscapes and similar) and handheld (wildlife, especially birds). I've found the lens to be a really solid performer with excellent image quality, and I'd buy one again immediately if something happened to my current version. For me the minuses are small and few in number:

1. The lens hood port thing. Yes, it does tend to open on its own. While it is mildly annoying it isn't a functional issue, since I virtually always have the hood in a position where the port faces down. In the small number of cases where it might be an issue I reflexively... slide it closed. (If you don't like the port and simply want it closed, a bit of glue or tape will solve that quickly.)

2. The rotating tension-lock ring is hard to reach when I reverse the hood for packing. Again, a pretty minor thing, since it is only a "problem" when I forget to lock it before putting the lens away!

3. Can't reach the zoom ring with the hood on the lens in reverse position. Not really a design flaw, but in the nature of this sort of lens.

4. In some situations there is noticeable vignetting, correctable in post if necessary.

5. The tripod foot and ring does seem sort of overly complicated, though I've had zero problems with mine despite heavy use.

Again, I like the lens a lot and rely on it.

Dan

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:31 AM
MatthewK
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 100-400 Mk II question

Yeah, I consider these small "issues" to be picking nits. I have had absolutely zero complaints about it whatsoever, and in fact consider it Canon's best lens.

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:36 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 100-400 Mk II question

ggreene wrote:
I wish a third party would make one that is larger.

Hejnar could probably make one that suits your needs. Kris is easy to deal with

Nov 16, 2017 at 10:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.