New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Question about square Polarizer

ATX353
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about square Polarizer

Looking to get a polarizer/ND filter for my UWA.

1. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. How does a square polarizer work? Would one just turn the filter holder? I would guess then that using a Grad with a Square Polarizer probably won't work.

Thank you!

Nov 14, 2017 at 06:47 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about square Polarizer

Yes, you need to rotate the holder in order to adjust the polarizer angle. And you are correct that it will not work out well when combined with a graduated ND filter unless you are very lucky. You can of course get a similar or better benefit in post production by combining multiple exposures that a graduated ND would give you in camera. On the other hand, you can not get the full benefits of a polarizer in post production.

There are several different systems that allow you to mount large polarizers on ultra wide angle lenses. I have the Wonderpana system that allows a 145mm round polarizer to be mounted on various UWA lenses in one configuration, and also allows rectangular filters to be mounted when the slots are attached. The advantage of the round filter for polarizers and solid ND filters is that they screw in and do not have any places for light leaks to occur. Other systems for ultra wide lenses that mount square filters or polarizers may have light leaks, so watch out for that issue.

Nov 14, 2017 at 07:44 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.