Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Nikon Switch Advice

tonyhart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Switch Advice

Hi all,

I am currently plotting a switch to Nikon, for the D850, and could use some expertise from the Nikon faithful. My first question is around ultra wide angle options and 50mm options.

In terms of ultrawides, I am looking at three possibilities:

1. Nikon 14-24mm f2.8
  2. Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC
  3. Sigma 12-24 f/4 ART

What are people's thoughts? I am leaning towards the Tamron. It will primarily be a dancefloor lens for me and otherwise only used for a few contextual images.

On the 50mm front, weight is a concern for me. I usually have my 50 in a pouch as my third lens and therefore I want to keep weight down. I'm considering the 1.8 or 1.4 G and also the ART. Also given some thought to the 45mm Tamron SP. Don't really want to spring for the 58 Nikon despite all the praise it receives. On my Canon setup I've survived very happily with the modest Canon f/1.4. Then again, I do fancy a bit more sharpness...

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:29 PM
WTShooter

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Switch Advice

I love my Tamron 15-30; it's tack sharp and solid in the hand. I've been testing a new Tamron 45 on my new D850 too. It's got a bit of heft over any of the Nikon 50's, but that heft is nice because I've been hand-holding it with slow shutter speeds and the VC activated. My fist impress is that I made the right decision-VC and amazing sharpness, plus the price on the 45mm is very right, especially compared to the Nikkor 58mm that I've been admiring, but not because of the cost. Hope this might be of some assistance...

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:27 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Switch Advice

I'm shooting the Tamron 45 on Canon and love it. Most of the praise I read online was from Nikon shooters — you don't have to work hard to watch glowing reviews.

Good luck.

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:44 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Switch Advice

I really like the 20mm 1.8 for dance floor. It's tiny, has very little distortion, and is wide enough to have that dramatic feel to it. The 14-24 I used to own--it's a *fantastic* lens. But heavy, and the bulbous front always made me nervous.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:06 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Switch Advice

I think the 1.8g primes are the solution to most of these questions.

Whenever someone decides to release good stabilized f/1.8 primes with first party AF my life will be complete. Until then the 1.8g primes look pretty kick ass from the Canon side .

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:16 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Switch Advice

I didn't like any of the 4 Nikon 50mm AF lenses, but I have and very much like the 50 Art. That said, if the Tamron 45 was around when I bought the Sigma I may have gone that direction. Also, it is generally expected that Nikon will probably be updating their 50mm prime in the near future, so there may be another option on the horizon eventually if the Sigma/Tamron don't suit you.

I'll second @dhp_sf on the 20mm f/1.8g being a really lovely little lens. I owned it for a while, but it is wider than I use for wedding stuff. From the look of the UWA lenses on your list, it may not be wide enough for you though.

Nov 15, 2017 at 02:29 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Switch Advice

Wide:
Sigma 20mm art 1.4
16-35mm f/4G
14-24mm 2.8

The 16-35 is a great dancefloor lens.

For 50mm I'd go with the 1.8. it's cheap, light and does the job well. Sigma arts are good but their AF go out of whack quicker than Nikkor lenses (so get the dock).

Nov 15, 2017 at 02:46 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Switch Advice

If you ever want to do architectural work the 14-24 would be good. It is supposed to be one of the finest ultra wides ever done.

Nov 15, 2017 at 04:09 AM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Switch Advice

Where is 14-24mm f/2.8E ED VR ?

Nov 15, 2017 at 07:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Switch Advice

Nikon's 12-24mm is a class act. It's a heavy bugger though.

Nikon's 50mm 1.8G (G stands for Gangsta btw) is about the best for Nikon. If you're going to try Sigma's offering, make sure it's an ART version. Again... it's a big heavy bugger.

Maybe check out Nikon's 58mm? Bit pricey (hence why I don't have it) but I hear great things...

Nov 15, 2017 at 09:23 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Switch Advice

Hi guys,

Many thanks for all the advice. I am probably leaning towards the Tamron 15-30 to be honest. I think it'll compliment my Sigma 24-35, which I'm planning to have mount converted by Sigma.

I am still a bit torn on the 50mm. I am put off by the weight of the Siggy Art, but I otherwise want it. Talk to me about the difference between the 1.4 & 1.8G. Aside from the extra 2/3rds stop, is there much between them? How is focus speed etc?

Nov 15, 2017 at 02:35 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Switch Advice

@Tonyhart FWIW, the 50A pairs really nicely with the 24-35.

If weight really is a concern, though, the 1.8g might be a place to start. It is cheap and often good enough, but isn't a lens that anyone has any feelings about. It is kind of like Hyundai Elantra rental car---it will get you there and probably work as expected...but you're not going to miss it when you give it back.

Nov 15, 2017 at 03:04 PM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Switch Advice

Nikon 50mm f/1.8G is a great small lens for normal use
However, for paid work I am using Sigma 50mm Art
That and 35mm Art are the sharpest lenses I have
D810 or D850 sensors deserve good glass

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:26 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon Switch Advice

Wide angle - The Nikon 17-35mm 2.8. It's in my opinion the best all around do it all wide angle (at least for weddings)

Here's why I'd chose it over the other Nikon offerings...
The Nikon 14-24: yeah it's a bit wider, but also you lose a lot on the long end. But it never found it's way in my bag mostly because of the front element. It's not a lens you can just toss in your shoulder bag. No hood to protect it.
The Nikon 16-35: Basically same range, maybe a hair sharper, cost about the same used. But you lose a stop....and on the dance floor a f4 lens is darker in the viewfinder which also makes it not as good to focus in low light.

For 50's..... tough call. The 50 1.8G is best bargain for sure. Sharpest is the heavy Sigma. The 58 is all about bokeh eye candy but not always sharp close up (but it is light). Focus speed on the 1.8G and 1.4G is about the same.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:02 PM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon Switch Advice

I sold my 14-24 and plan to sell my 17-35 F2.8D and bought the Tamron 15-30.

Loving it so far in terms of sharpness and having the VC is a bonus.

It's a heavy lens though but pretty much all my new lenses have been bigger all requiring 82mm and up filters!

Nov 17, 2017 at 07:50 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon Switch Advice

For weddings I want a f/2.8 constant aperture zoom to provide as much light as possible to the camera's autofocus sensors. The Nikon 14-24mm would be my first choice and that would include buying a used lens from someone posting on fredmiranda.

I see absolutely no value in a 50mm lens for wedding photography. The only prime lens I use is a 105mm which provides both a good working distance and perspective for people's faces. The alternative is the 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom but I love using the Nikon 105mm f/2 DC lens. Nothing beats the DC function for people photography.

15 years ago I needed a 50mm f/1.4 as the cameras was using were good only up to ISO 640. No such limitations with current cameras.

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:26 PM
ahaug
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon Switch Advice

I got rid of my ultra wide and now have a siggy 24 art as my wides. If I need more, I can usually shoot 2 or 3 images and quickly stitch them together. Generally, I don't find myself wanting to be wider than 24. I do think that the 20 1.8 or the siggys 20 art would be fun though.

Nov 22, 2017 at 04:25 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password