Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Anybody using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS?

dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anybody using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS?

What I am seeing so far is very encouraging but wondering about its performance on the Sony A7x. I see it as a candidate to complement my CV40 on Sony A7r.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:44 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anybody using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS?

I briefly owned this lens for use on an A7R. Optically and mechanically it was very good. Those Voigts are metal and glass beauties.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:59 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anybody using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS?

rdeloe wrote:
I briefly owned this lens for use on an A7R. Optically and mechanically it was very good. Those Voigts are metal and glass beauties.

I agree - the Voigts are great (I have the CV40, APO90 and APO180). I just think that if I want to carry primes instead of zoom the CV58 would fit in nicely between the 40 and 90.

I think CV made a mistake just making the current CV58 in Nikon only. It seems to be a great lens that flew under the radar.

Nov 15, 2017 at 02:04 AM
Darrin M
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anybody using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS?

I am using one - at first on a Nikon D810 (for a short time), then on a Nikon Df where it found a permanent home 😀

I posted a few photos taken with it on the ‘Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Camera’ thread, starting with this page: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1440809/14.

I have no experience with Sony cameras though...

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:03 PM
petr vokurek
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anybody using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS?

I have tried that lens and it is fantastic. Only reason I don´t have it is it is manual focus only. Check what this guy, who seems to know a thing or two about lenses, has to say about it:

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anybody using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS?

Excellent lens. Brilliant smooth focus mechanics, well constructed. Decent wide open and razor sharp starting at app. F4.

Nov 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anybody using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS?

Hi Dave -- That is a nice looking lens, for sure. But I wonder if another lens might be even better suited to your work? The new CV 65/2 macro looks like it would be right up your alley -- amazing resolution, good subject isolation with close-up shooting, and a good fit with focal length of 35mm or 40mm.

I know -- too many great lenses out there, right?

Nov 16, 2017 at 03:00 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anybody using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS?

Gunzorro wrote:
Hi Dave -- That is a nice looking lens, for sure. But I wonder if another lens might be even better suited to your work? The new CV 65/2 macro looks like it would be right up your alley -- amazing resolution, good subject isolation with close-up shooting, and a good fit with focal length of 35mm or 40mm.

I know -- too many great lenses out there, right?

Definitely too many great lenses out there! I already have 4 CV lens and two of them are APO Lanthars so I know the 65 would be a killer lens. . . but at 625g it's just way over my weight budget. I really want something lightweight, sharp and with good micro-contrast.

My CV 40 f/1.4 is 175g and my 90mm APO Lanthar is 260g and my CV12mm is 283g. Just not interested in a fast 65 (and I already have the Rokkor 58 1.2 which shoots very sharp and has great micro-contrast stopped down but even that's too heavy for what I want to put in my backpack).

My 3 contenders are Zony 55 1.8, Loxia 50 or CV58 1.4, which is heavier at 320g but I would prefer something around the 60mm range.

Nov 17, 2017 at 06:54 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anybody using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS?

Darrin M wrote:
I am using one - at first on a Nikon D810 (for a short time), then on a Nikon Df where it found a permanent home 😀

I posted a few photos taken with it on the ‘Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Camera’ thread, starting with this page: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1440809/14.

I have no experience with Sony cameras though...

Darrin - those are very convincing photos. Thanks!

Nov 17, 2017 at 07:00 AM
Darrin M
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anybody using the Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS?

dbehrens wrote:
Darrin - those are very convincing photos. Thanks!

Glad I could help.

As you can see from the samples, at f/1.4 and f/2 the photos have a "dreamy" look - that's the lens, no special PP.

I can't seem to find it now, but Marianne Oelund on dpreview had a post within the last year in which she stated that according to her tests the bokeh for this lens (she tested the II N version I think) is better in the foreground than in the background. I have not had yet the time to test this myself.

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:47 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password