New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Recover Image DB

nekrosoft13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recover Image DB

So I been shooting Sony for little over 2 years, and I really like the camera, but one "feature" irritates me.

I always take the card out, and use my highspeed card reader to transfer images to the PC, using the normal windows explorer, I just cut and paste the images where I want them to go.

Then when I reinsert the card, and take bunch of photos, click on playback I always get that image not found message, and I have to go to menu and do the whole recover image DB bullshit.

Before I used Sony, I shot Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, Nikon, and no other camera brand has that stupid image DB crap.

I really wish Sony would drop it, why does every other camera brand know what images are and aren't on the card, why does Sony need to maintain some stupid image DB.

Nov 13, 2017 at 02:59 PM
Slalom
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recover Image DB

I copy the jpg with EXif Rename, then open the target folders created and the source folder and move the .awr.

Then i delete the jpg.

Put the card back in the a7II and it just works fine.

Nov 13, 2017 at 07:03 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recover Image DB

Yes, I take my card out of the camera alright but I used Lightroom to COPY the files as there could be something wrong with the files during the transfer if I just do the "cut" instead. Afterwards, I format the card using the camera. Not a single time, have I encountered any database issue that I can remember. I have been shooting with Sony for 4 years and prior to that I used Canon and Leica M. Like with Sony, no database issues whatsoever with other brands either.

Nov 13, 2017 at 07:12 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recover Image DB

AGeoJO wrote:
Yes, I take my card out of the camera alright but I used Lightroom to COPY the files as there could be something wrong with the files during the transfer if I just do the "cut" instead. Afterwards, I format the card using the camera. Not a single time, have I encountered any database issue that I can remember. I have been shooting with Sony for 4 years and prior to that I used Canon and Leica M. Like with Sony, no database issues whatsoever with other brands either.

This is exactly what I do as well. I have encountered zero problems. I would recommend this approach.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:00 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recover Image DB

AGeoJO wrote:
there could be something wrong with the files during the transfer if I just do the "cut" instead.

if you are worried about that, then you don't understand how computers work.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:01 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recover Image DB

nekrosoft13 wrote:

But that isn't the point, if you want to avoid the problem you describe just format the card in the camera each time after you download your files. That is a sound practice anyway.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:06 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recover Image DB

nekrosoft13 wrote:

Actually Joshua's point is valid. When you transfer files by 'cutting' them you're performing a destructive operation on the source media, ie deleting them. This deletion has historically only been a metadata-type deletion, which means the files were simply marked as deleted in the filesystem and thus could easily be recovered. Things are much more complicated with the advent of flash media, where there can be multiple layers of data indirection and management at the flash level, such that a simple metadata deletion can lead to a series of flash page management operations which are much more destructive than the simple metadata operations that triggered them. This can all get very theoretical but the point is it's much better practice to copy files off the media cards rather than cutting/"moving" them.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:33 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recover Image DB

Steve Spencer wrote:
But that isn't the point, if you want to avoid the problem you describe just format the card in the camera each time after you download your files. That is a sound practice anyway.

I don't agree with that because the way sony does it is the odd-ball in this case, when every other camera company doesn't have this "issue"

I shot with every camera brand except Leica.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:38 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recover Image DB

Just copy the files from thecard to the computer, then let the camera delete (all) files or let the camera format the card. This way there won't be any issues with the image database.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:43 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recover Image DB

nekrosoft13 wrote:
I don't agree with that because the way sony does it is the odd-ball in this case, when every other camera company doesn't have this "issue"

I shot with every camera brand except Leica.

What don't you agree with? All I am saying is format the card in the camera and you won't have the problem you describe. It is an easy thing to do and you avoid the problem. Stop banging your head against the wall when the solution is easy.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:54 PM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recover Image DB

Right, move the files, put the card back in the body and format. Good to go...

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:59 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recover Image DB

Steve Spencer wrote:
What don't you agree with? All I am saying is format the card in the camera and you won't have the problem you describe. It is an easy thing to do and you avoid the problem. Stop banging your head against the wall when the solution is easy.

again, its a issue that doesn't exist on any other camera brand.
Card is already formatted with a file system, and most camera manufactures use FAT32 in some cases xfat, file system on the card already keeps track of all the files on the card, secondary "image db" that sony adds its a waste of time and completely unnecessary.

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:18 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recover Image DB

nekrosoft13 wrote:
again, its a issue that doesn't exist on any other camera brand.
Card is already formatted with a file system, and most camera manufactures use FAT32 in some cases xfat, file system on the card already keeps track of all the files on the card, secondary "image db" that sony adds its a waste of time and completely unnecessary.

Again, you are complaining about something for which there is a simple solution. I don't really see it as a waste of time. I format all my cards in the camera. I don't see how where you format your cards has any time implications. It is quick in the camera to format it. Yeah, I do wish you didn't have to go through the menus to do it on Sony, and I like very much that I can put formatting the card on a custom menu on my Fuji and Leica cameras, but it is such a small deal I can't see how it is even worth commenting about, and if you just format your card in the camera you won't have the creating data base problem that you presented.

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:23 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.