5              18       19       end

Archive 2017 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Faraday
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Nice! Did you happen to receive it yet?

Lens is here, just picked up TAP over the weekend, but haven't taken it all out for a spin yet. It's weird bokeh week as I also picked up a Lensbaby Composer Pro w/ Sweet 35 for fun. Will be a nice change from the documentary stuff that is my usual MO

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:54 PM
virtualrain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
I'd say that at or very near wide open, it has it's own look. Not 100% sure of what type of comparison you were looking for specifically. So I'll go the simple route for now by ranking them in order of preference and perhaps adding a blurb about each.

The Sigma Art and Canon are tied for first place with me as far as general look and usability goes.

1. Sigma Art 50/1.4 - Very sharp. Great isolation and microcontrast. Bokeh pretty good. Functionally worked very well on the Sony bodies I have had. Even better now since there is eye-AF in
...Show more

Thanks... this is a great summary. I agree with you on the Canon 50L which I owned during my Canon days and the Sony lens these days (I actually have the FE 55 though) so I'm pretty sure I have similar taste to you when it comes to 50mm lenses.

I've been looking for an interesting character 50mm lens for awhile. I actually purchased the Mitakon but returned it... I found it very difficult to focus manually and it was way too heavy to pack around. Hence, I like the sounds of this 7Artisans lens with the TAP. I've ordered this combo and will try it out. It will be largely for family candids and portraits like you've been using it. With the a7RIII I also have on order, I'm hoping it's focus performance is good.

Nov 22, 2017 at 07:11 AM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

elizabeth77 wrote:
Lens is here, just picked up TAP over the weekend, but haven't taken it all out for a spin yet. It's weird bokeh week as I also picked up a Lensbaby Composer Pro w/ Sweet 35 for fun. Will be a nice change from the documentary stuff that is my usual MO

Awesome!! Excited to hear your thoughts and see some images from both. You now have me looking over the specs of the Lensbaby and considering EF adapter stacking on the TAP to gain some form of AF. Having a hard time imagining how that would work though. But the gears are turning. .

I actually previously had a brief moment of excitement with the TAP and the thought of mounting one of my TSE lenses that the TAP could support (weight-wise). Then realized that none of the TSE lenses are even mildly close to being within the suggested weight limit.

---------------------------------------------

virtualrain wrote:
Thanks... this is a great summary. I agree with you on the Canon 50L which I owned during my Canon days and the Sony lens these days (I actually have the FE 55 though) so I'm pretty sure I have similar taste to you when it comes to 50mm lenses.

I've been looking for an interesting character 50mm lens for awhile. I actually purchased the Mitakon but returned it... I found it very difficult to focus manually and it was way too heavy to pack around. Hence, I like the sounds of this 7Artisans lens with the TAP. I've ordered
...Show more
Congrats on the pickups. Should be some good playtime coming your way soon.

With regard to the focusing performance, it only consistently achieves it around the central area (imagine the rule of thirds grid) and not very well beyond it. I have set a custom button for AF/MF toggle and zoom for when I need to compose outside of that area though so it has been more than fine. Within the central area, eye-AF works decently well along with the available focusing modes.

Nov 22, 2017 at 01:06 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Tried to push the flare a bit more outside and see if I could force anything weird. Looks like I got some in the form of rainbow artifacts.

A9 + 7Artisans + TAP by John Dizzo, on Flickr
A couple without issues.

Nov 24, 2017 at 05:08 PM
Activatedfx
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

REALLY nice colors, and very sharp! But those bubbles... lol

Nov 24, 2017 at 06:23 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Activatedfx wrote:
REALLY nice colors, and very sharp! But those bubbles... lol

Thank you, @Activatedfx.

Those were all around 1.3 or 1.4ish. And yes, those ever so prevalent bubbles with this lens. lol. I do agree, sometimes I would just rather have them not show up in certain images.

Nov 24, 2017 at 06:51 PM
Faraday
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

I had fun with this lens even if there appears to be a ghost orb in the first photo! The first is at f/2 (while moving), the second is wide wide open. I'm not finding as much bubbliness wide open although admittedly I tested this a lot in low light and haven't tried to push flare.
Check out the foliage bubbles on the far right!
These are all OOC w/o post and only resized. You can see vignetting as I have done no correction, but it doesn't bother me. What I am liking is the soft glow and dreamy feel particularly in low light wide open. The subjects could be sharper here, that was a choice as I was playing around and enjoying the feel.

Edited on Nov 25, 2017 at 10:09 AM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2017 at 09:35 AM
Faraday
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

I really need to work on resizing. I get a bit frustrated when I see pixels and I resist.....Color & B/W. All of these on the a9. These are also wide open. I like the glow.

Nov 25, 2017 at 09:40 AM
Faraday
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Liking B&W wide open.

Nov 25, 2017 at 09:59 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

More great shots guys!

I just received my TAP and Lens. Mounted it and played around a bit - not much time though at the moment. The AF with TAP seems great even on my a7RII. I can’t wait to try it on my RIII when it arrives.

While plying around I set the lens to infinity focus, but it seemed like the minimum focus distance was further than I was expecting...

Question: does the TAP have enough travel to go from minimum distance to infinity with this lens or do you have to adjust the lens focus position a bit to cover the full range? Can you actually improve minimum focus distance with the TAP by setting the focus at say 1m and pushing the lens out further with the TAP?

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:36 AM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

@elizabeth77 - Glad you got to get out and run the combo a bit! Love the rendering in those shots (especially the one of the man walking and the one of the hostesses). Agreed re the glow and vignette. Not really cons so much as contributors to the look most of the time. The other thing I like about the look is that they seem to sharpen up nicely when you want them to be but then still possess some of that softness/glowy look which is interesting (to me - especially in BW like what you have exhibited).

@virtualrain - Thanks! Awesome re the receipt of the combo. Glad to hear that it is AFing well on the R2. Can't wait to see some stuff.

Re the MFD question. At closer distances, the focus distance setting on the lens itself is definitely a factor you have to account for (for any lens mounted on the TAP). Once you play around with it a bit, it makes more sense and becomes more intuitive. I just remind myself to think of it as kind of a pseudo-focus distance limiter like on my tele lenses.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Quick snap for bw and color comparison on my end. Caught her sneaking some playtime in with mom's crochet stuff.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:00 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

I really like the colour you're getting from your Sony. Are these AWB or did you adjust post?
And for this type of lens (artsy...) the sharpness is perfect. It still is crazy that this lens cost $370!

I have the lens mounted on my M today, and will play with it for a while. It is 6-bit coded (a Leica thing to tell the camera what lens is mounted) but it does not reliably pick it up. But this time I remembered to set it manually so maybe that'll fix the magenta borders I've been getting.

Nov 25, 2017 at 01:07 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Desmolicious wrote:
I really like the colour you're getting from your Sony. Are these AWB or did you adjust post?
And for this type of lens (artsy...) the sharpness is perfect. It still is crazy that this lens cost $370!

I have the lens mounted on my M today, and will play with it for a while. It is 6-bit coded (a Leica thing to tell the camera what lens is mounted) but it does not reliably pick it up. But this time I remembered to set it manually so maybe that'll fix the magenta borders I've been getting.

Thanks, @Desmolicious. AWB in cam and then post in Capture One with their film styles (then WB adjusted to taste). I most often use the Fuji 160C or 400H. Totally agree regarding the sharpness and price. It is definitely usable at 1.1 if properly focused and processed.

Hoping for the best with regard to mounting on the M today. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Nov 25, 2017 at 02:28 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Yeah, I tried again with the manual lens coding, and no difference. This lens does not work well shot wide open with digital Leicas. Smearing along the outside 1/4 of the image with magenta tint. Stopping down it does go away, but then what's the point of using this hunk o glass?

Nothing like what you're getting with the Sony. But it does work really nicely with Leica film cameras, so that's where I will be keeping it.

Nov 26, 2017 at 03:13 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Desmolicious wrote:
Yeah, I tried again with the manual lens coding, and no difference. This lens does not work well shot wide open with digital Leicas. Smearing along the outside 1/4 of the image with magenta tint. Stopping down it does go away, but then what's the point of using this hunk o glass?

Nothing like what you're getting with the Sony. But it does work really nicely with Leica film cameras, so that's where I will be keeping it.

That sucks that it has problems on Leica digital. Glad that it does perform well on film for you though. Wondering if there is more info out there about said smearing from anyone else.

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:35 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Some more samples from the last couple of days. Repetitive subject matter. But hey, they're always around and are essentially easy access. lol.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:05 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Nothing repetitive about super cute, natural, candid-looking portraits!

Nov 28, 2017 at 02:55 AM
Faraday
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Wide open. Very soft rendering but something about it that I like. Sorry about the resising, as you know you can click for a smaller view

Dec 02, 2017 at 10:39 AM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Few more snapshots from the weekend.

Dec 04, 2017 at 04:10 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.