FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              10       11       end

7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

elizabeth77
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

These are beautiful shots; although not necessarily a look I would go for that bubbly, quirky look is special. I don't know that it's niche.....for working pros in the portrait/wedding business I think this is the kind of lens and look that will crush it in the hipster crowd.

Nov 16, 2017 at 01:08 AM
JohnDizzo15
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

elizabeth77 wrote:
These are beautiful shots; although not necessarily a look I would go for that bubbly, quirky look is special. I don't know that it's niche.....for working pros in the portrait/wedding business I think this is the kind of lens and look that will crush it in the hipster crowd.

Thank you, @elizabeth77.

Agreed, regarding your point about the look being potentially appealing for that type of work. My buddies that are wedding/engagement pros all have their little bag of specialized stuff that they like to sporadically throw out to separate themselves from the ocean of photographers that are all offering a similar/identical product.

For a hobbyist like me though, it is yet another interestingly quirky lens (at a bargain bin price) to play with and chase my family and friends around that has happened to yield a much higher level of content in me than anticipated.

Nov 16, 2017 at 04:30 AM
mjm6
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

freaklikeme wrote:
Nope, the corners on the 35/2 are pretty consistently terrible, even stopped down to f/8. Soft with transverse CA. Nice bokeh. That's the best I can say about it.

Thanks for that information... bummer.

Nov 16, 2017 at 05:40 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Some more samples at 1.1-1.4
Giving some stink eye
A9 + 7Artisans 50/1.1 + TAP by John Dizzo, on Flickr
Decorations and tree broken out early per request of the reindeer wizard. ISO 10,000

Nov 17, 2017 at 05:46 PM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

The stink eye pic is hilarious, but the decorations and tree pic is just magical!
This lens definitely works better on a digital Sony than a digital Leica. But it is awesome on a film Leica.
Amazing that this thing is only $360 new.

Nov 17, 2017 at 07:51 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Desmolicious wrote:
The stink eye pic is hilarious, but the decorations and tree pic is just magical!
This lens definitely works better on a digital Sony than a digital Leica. But it is awesome on a film Leica.
Amazing that this thing is only $360 new.

Thank you, @Desmolicious.

Would be nice to see some more examples with it mounted onto a Leica film body.

Agreed regarding the price also. For the 150-200 keepers I've already made with this thing, it's already been worth what I spent. There is just something about the look that I enjoy.

As a side note, I suppose I could just use this thread as an ongoing image thread for the 7Artisans on Sony bodies as there doesn't already appear to be one.

Nov 17, 2017 at 08:27 PM
elizabeth77
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

OK, I might have to buy this. It makes some pretty magical B&Ws (and a seller just flaked out on me on a big purchase lens deal ).

Nov 17, 2017 at 09:26 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

elizabeth77 wrote:
OK, I might have to buy this. It makes some pretty magical B&Ws (and a seller just flaked out on me on a big purchase lens deal ).

I do like how the images translate to BW for some reason. Haven't given it enough thought to articulate exactly why. But they do seem to convert in pleasing fashion in general.

What lens??

Nov 17, 2017 at 09:35 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

How is this lens stopped down to f/8 vs the 55FE?

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:02 PM
elizabeth77
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
I do like how the images translate to BW for some reason. Haven't given it enough thought to articulate exactly why. But they do seem to convert in pleasing fashion in general.

What lens??

I was going to pick up the 18mm Batis and the 70-200 GM (my old 70-200 was a loaner) which would've given me no excuses to acquire ANY more lenses for quite a while. It's probably good it fell through as now I'll finally just buy the Loxia for my wide-angle instead.

The b&ws on that 7Artisans have a very atmospheric look, slightly eerie - can't really define it either. I'm excited to see more images from yours and hopefully others as well.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnDizzo15
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

elizabeth77 wrote:
I was going to pick up the 18mm Batis and the 70-200 GM (my old 70-200 was a loaner) which would've given me no excuses to acquire ANY more lenses for quite a while. It's probably good it fell through as now I'll finally just buy the Loxia for my wide-angle instead.

The b&ws on that 7Artisans have a very atmospheric look, slightly eerie - can't really define it either. I'm excited to see more images from yours and hopefully others as well.

Ahh. Things happen for a reason I suppose. I'm certain the Loxia will be nice.

Re your description of the BWs. That actually sums up how I feel about them as well.

I will be posting more images as I make them. Definitely a fun lens to shoot but not always practical depending on the scenario. But I will actively try to use it some more in the coming weeks and share when possible.

I too, am looking forward to seeing what others are doing with theirs. Hopefully the number of us that actually have the lens will grow a bit moving forward.

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
How is this lens stopped down to f/8 vs the 55FE?

I've only done some test shots stopped down that far. My inclinations when using this lens are not to be shooting anywhere near that small of an aperture though as I have other lenses I would prefer to use when in a scenario where f/8 would be appropriate.

I have owned the FE 55 twice in the past and (contrary to the general consensus on the lens) never quite bonded well with it which is why I don't currently have it in the stable to compare with. But from what I can recall, the 55 was optically stellar and my assumption is that it is going to be better at all equivalent apertures with regard to sheer optical prowess/performance. However, I would argue that the point of the 7Artisans lens is not simply for maximum sharpness or optical bench performance as it is definitely a character lens for a very specific purpose. The FE 55 is a much more modernized lens designed for a much different crowd and purpose IMO.

From what I have read, another blogger has posted sample photos stopped down to f/8 comparing it to the Voigtlander. In those tests, I believe they found it to be preferable at f/8. Otherwise though, the info on the lens seems to be sparse and there doesn't appear to be very many people posting pics or info about it that would be enough to draw a real conclusion about its performance at smaller apertures.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:37 PM
elizabeth77
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

On its way and my a9 just came back from Support (cleaning) so I can play with it over the holidays. Since husband has an M10 I can call this a $180 lens

Nov 18, 2017 at 03:27 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

elizabeth77 wrote:
On its way and my a9 just came back from Support (cleaning) so I can play with it over the holidays. Since husband has an M10 I can call this a $180 lens

Sweet!! Canít wait to see some pics! And good deal re the husbandís m10. Should be interesting to see how it performs for you guys respectively. Will you be using it with the TAP on the a9?

Nov 18, 2017 at 03:32 PM
Activatedfx

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Just wanted to thank you, John, for helping me decide NOT to buy the 7artisans 50/1.1!! haha! Sorry dude! I was very close to adding it to my Amazon cart - at the price, it's nearly a no-brainer - but I just haven't truly loved the "look" of the 7a lens in most cases. A little TOO much "character".

I had the Mitakon 50/0.95 e-mount last year, but returned it after a week because I didn't like the point light OOF bokeh rendering (a Christmas tree in the distance will have "comet" shaped bokeh balls as it gets closer to the edge of the frame). But the more I looked at any other photos I had taken that did NOT have small point lights, the more I missed the (central) sharpness and smooth, creamy falloff of the "Dark Knight". No dizzying swirlys and that shallow 0.95 DOF is my jam.

Anyway, it's on sale this weekend at B&H ($650 down from $850 until 11/20/17), so I took the plunge and re-bought it yesterday. After searching for a fast 50 all year (including the 7artisans, vintage 50/1.2's, etc.) I am extremely happy to have the Mitakon once again! It's a fantastic lens as long as it's not pointed at a Christmas tree! haha

I played a bit with stopping it down (unusual for me), and found that the slight glow at 0.95 is nearly gone at f/1.4, and at f/2, Christmas lights become round. (Thank you 9 blade aperture). I may do a review in the next few weeks after I've had a chance to check it out a bit more...

Nov 18, 2017 at 03:34 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Activatedfx wrote:
Just wanted to thank you, John, for helping me decide NOT to buy the 7artisans 50/1.1!! haha! Sorry dude! I was very close to adding it to my Amazon cart - at the price, it's nearly a no-brainer - but I just haven't truly loved the "look" of the 7a lens in most cases. A little TOO much "character".

I had the Mitakon 50/0.95 e-mount last year, but returned it after a week because I didn't like the point light OOF bokeh rendering (a Christmas tree in the distance will have "comet" shaped bokeh balls as it gets closer to the
...Show more

Nice! Excited to see your images with it. I still have mine in the closet but havenít used it in a bit since Iíve splitting time between the FE 50/1.8 and modded Contax 50/1.4. Now that the 7a is here, it might see even less usage.

Iíd have to agree that the Mitakon has a great look at or near wide open. However, it is hard for me to pull that one out as frequently as my other options since having some form of AF is a big bonus for me. The Mitakon is also significantly longer and heavier than the 7a. My biggest gripe about the Mitakon is how it handles light sources and flare in general. I am not a fan of that splash of lines or the odd artifacts that show up when there is a bright source in the frame. Despite all those things though, it is still unmatched for its look wide open which is why it has a place in my stable still.

Nov 18, 2017 at 04:49 PM
Activatedfx

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

John - I'm with ya. Luckily the majority of my photography (urban details and architectural street scenes) don't generally have a lot of point lights, so I'm just going to use it where it works best.

And, YES - it is a heavy beast. Like attaching a hand grenade to the front of the A7ii, but I kind of LIKE the weight. It's a "good" weight. ! Feels solid and high quality. The weight also helps steady things at slower shutter speeds.

I put up a few photos in the FE Images thread (pages 2539/2540) and will be adding more.

Here's one at 0.95

Nov 18, 2017 at 06:08 PM
virtualrain
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
No need to apologize. To each his own as image rendering preferences are a very subjective thing.

I agree. The look does bear some resemblance to some of the older fast lenses. However, having played with and owned many, this one definitely has a rendering that I have not come across previously at 1.1.

Between the varying looks from 1.1-2.0, the T-stop/light gathering when needed, solid build/looks, ability to mount onto the TAP for autofocus, compactness, and price point, I'd say it is a no brainer if you are into the sort of thing.

I'd say that this lens is very very
...Show more

Iím curious, if you have time Iíd be interested in how you characterize your fav 50s. How does this compare to some of your other fast 50s?

Nov 18, 2017 at 09:00 PM
elizabeth77
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Sweet!! Canít wait to see some pics! And good deal re the husbandís m10. Should be interesting to see how it performs for you guys respectively. Will you be using it with the TAP on the a9?

Yes! Going to start trying the TAP. I don't use adapted lenses much so it'll be interesting.

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:21 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

virtualrain wrote:
Iím curious, if you have time Iíd be interested in how you characterize your fav 50s. How does this compare to some of your other fast 50s?

I'd say that at or very near wide open, it has it's own look. Not 100% sure of what type of comparison you were looking for specifically. So I'll go the simple route for now by ranking them in order of preference and perhaps adding a blurb about each.

The Sigma Art and Canon are tied for first place with me as far as general look and usability goes.

1. Sigma Art 50/1.4 - Very sharp. Great isolation and microcontrast. Bokeh pretty good. Functionally worked very well on the Sony bodies I have had. Even better now since there is eye-AF in green mode on the A9 with it.

Canon 50/1.2 - My favorite overall for look and usability (just doesn't AF outside of central portion of the frame). The copies I've had have been very usably sharp at 1.2. Great subject isolation and general rendering. Also loved the flare handling on it
2.Sony FE 50/1.8 - Oddly my favorite general use lens for the A9. I love the rendering and images I get out of it. It focuses quickly in all modes including eye-AF. It is also super light and compact.
3. 7Artisans 50/1.1 - My favorite of the MF 50s that I now own. Has its own look wide open. Handles flare like a champ by maintaining decent color and general rendering even with the soft haze. Bonus is that I get some AF with the TAP. It's also about the size of most of my old 50/1.4 lenses which is great.
4. Contax N 50/1.4 w/ Conurus Canon AF mod - AF works really well with the A7R2 and A9. Pretty decent microcontrast. Somewhat cateye but interestingly swirly bokeh. Busy for some people but interesting to me. Soft at 1.4 but gets decently pretty quickly when stopping down.
5. Mitakon 50/0.95 - Best isolation of them all. Interesting flare that some people seem to like but is not really my cup of tea. MF ring works great but still not easy to get a high hit rate wide open. Similarly soft wide open like the 7Artisans but still usable. Significantly heavier and larger than the 7A and doesn't have a way to achieve AF.
6. Zenitar ME-1 50-1.7 - has two-bladed aperture for square bokeh when stopped down. Wide open, it is already pretty sharp. But the whole point of the lens is the square bokeh. lol.
7. Various Helios 58/2.0s - 44-M4 is my favorite of the bunch since it strikes a good balance of swirly bokeh yet usably sharp wide open. Also a bonus that it can AF via TAP.
8. All of the other M42 screw mount lenses - takumars, mamiya sekor, porst, rikenon, etc seem to have a pretty similar look not worth mentioning individually for my personal tastes.

These are just quick thoughts off the top of my head. There's obviously a lot more to it. But there aren't that many hours in the day.

elizabeth77 wrote:
Yes! Going to start trying the TAP. I don't use adapted lenses much so it'll be interesting.

Nice! Did you happen to receive it yet?

Nov 21, 2017 at 04:17 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount

Some more samples from the weekend.
A9 + 7Artisans + TAP by John Dizzo, on Flickr

Nov 21, 2017 at 05:16 PM