Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              11       12       end
  

7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount
  
 
realVivek
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


Very nice samples!

I am glad Zeiss did not market this lens.



Nov 14, 2017 at 06:42 PM
JohnDizzo15
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


realVivek wrote:
Very nice samples!

I am glad Zeiss did not market this lens.


Thank you!

From what some others have said, they already did a long time ago. lol.

Me thinks the reception for this lens might have been different if it was marketed on Kickstarter like the Meyer Trioplan for its bubble bokeh and generally quirky look.



Nov 14, 2017 at 07:46 PM
JohnDizzo15
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


The Haoge hood from Amazon arrived. Forgot to consider the fact that I can no longer use the OEM cap and have to pick up a pinch one. lol. Oh well, looks good anyway.

Don't pay any mind to the iphone portrait mode fail in the depth mapping.
A9 + 7Artisans 50/1.1 + Techart Pro by John Dizzo, on Flickr
A9 + 7Artisans 50/1.1 + Techart Pro by John Dizzo, on Flickr



Nov 14, 2017 at 10:16 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


Sweet! Looks great. Can you check for vignetting? I heard from other users that they step up to a 58mm threaded lens hood because of that.

Thanks
Huss



Nov 14, 2017 at 10:24 PM
JohnDizzo15
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


Desmolicious wrote:
Sweet! Looks great. Can you check for vignetting? I heard from other users that they step up to a 58mm threaded lens hood because of that.

Thanks
Huss


That was actually one of the first things I did after installing. Just defocused and faced it at a bright white monitor screen with the hood on and then off which yielded no changes in the amount of vignetting. If it does in fact add some, I didn't see it. Time will tell once I start shooting with it and get the files in post.



Nov 14, 2017 at 10:33 PM
realVivek
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


Stop it all the way down to check for any vignetting. Wide open it will be very difficult to tell.

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
That was actually one of the first things I did after installing. Just defocused and faced it at a bright white monitor screen with the hood on and then off which yielded no changes in the amount of vignetting. If it does in fact add some, I didn't see it. Time will tell once I start shooting with it and get the files in post.





Nov 14, 2017 at 10:35 PM
JohnDizzo15
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


realVivek wrote:
Stop it all the way down to check for any vignetting. Wide open it will be very difficult to tell.


Just redid the test stopped down to f/16 and there is definitely vignetting.
A9 + 7Artisans 50/1.1 + Techart Pro by John Dizzo, on Flickr
Problem now is, I don't see an equivalent hood in 58mm on Amazon or eBay. lol.

I'm thinking I will just hold onto this one for now. Will see how it plays out in images since I don't plan on shooting this thing stopped down further than f/2 most of the time.

On another note, I just realized how many particles I had on my sensor after doing that test a few times. lol.



Nov 14, 2017 at 11:03 PM
mjm6
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


That's a lot of vignetting for such a short hood... It's a little surprising to me.

Has anyone tried the 35mm f2 lens? It might make a nice light travel lens... I've been tempted to buy back an old Canon RF 35mm f2 lens for that purpose, but I would expect that something like this would be a bit better corrected for the corners.



Nov 14, 2017 at 11:10 PM
realVivek
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


John, thanks for checking!

I think this lens warrants a clamp on hood.



Nov 14, 2017 at 11:20 PM
JohnDizzo15
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


realVivek wrote:
John, thanks for checking!

I think this lens warrants a clamp on hood.


Anytime! Wish the results would have been more positive.

If you guys know of alternative solutions, please let me know.



Nov 14, 2017 at 11:31 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


ken.vs.ryu
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Anytime! Wish the results would have been more positive.

If you guys know of alternative solutions, please let me know.


step up ring and a larger hood.


I hope 7a brings a 35/1.2 lens.



Nov 15, 2017 at 12:02 AM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Anytime! Wish the results would have been more positive.

If you guys know of alternative solutions, please let me know.


yep, I use a 55-58 step up ring and a 58mm lens hood

https://www.ebay.com/itm/58mm-Vented-Curved-Metal-Lens-Hood-Sun-Shade-For-Leica-58-Screw-DSLR-Camera-Lens/263228059357?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3Df49c10428305422380a1a175be20f98f%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226



Nov 15, 2017 at 06:01 AM
nampramos
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


John, you used the words "light gathering", so I guess you're talking t-stop now. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the t-stop for that lens would be closer to t/1.8 than to t/1.4.


Nov 15, 2017 at 11:44 AM
Frogfish
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


nampramos wrote:
John, you used the words "light gathering", so I guess you're talking t-stop now. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the t-stop for that lens would be closer to t/1.8 than to t/1.4.


That would be very surprising indeed. 7 Artisans called it a f1.1 lens because it's actually f1.05 (so they could probably just have easily have said f1). Therefore I doubt the T-stop (though obviously not quoted) is going to vary by that huge amount.



Nov 15, 2017 at 12:41 PM
JohnDizzo15
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


nampramos wrote:
John, you used the words "light gathering", so I guess you're talking t-stop now. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the t-stop for that lens would be closer to t/1.8 than to t/1.4.


---------------------------------------------

Frogfish wrote:
That would be very surprising indeed. 7 Artisans called it a f1.1 lens because it's actually f1.05 (so they could probably just have easily have said f1). Therefore I doubt the T-stop (though obviously not quoted) is going to vary by that huge amount.


As Frogfish stated, I read the same thing.

Just for curiosity's sake, I just tested exposure with both the 7Artisans and the FE 50/1.8. For reference, the FE 50/1.8 has an actual T-Stop of 1.8. In manual at 1/500th of a second with both lenses wide open, the 7Artisans consistently metered the scene at ISO 2000 and the FE 50/1.8 at ISO 5000. Based on the exposure calculator I found, it is a 1.33 EV difference.



Nov 15, 2017 at 04:59 PM
Makten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


Sorry, but I'm not at all impressed. Very similar to the fastest f/1.2 lenses of the 80:s, like the Nikkor 50/1.2.
But, at the price and size, why not? If it renders like the old school lenses, it should produce stellar bokeh and sharpness at f/2. If not... Just get one of the classics instead.



Nov 15, 2017 at 10:44 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


Makten wrote:
Sorry, but I'm not at all impressed. Very similar to the fastest f/1.2 lenses of the 80:s, like the Nikkor 50/1.2.
But, at the price and size, why not? If it renders like the old school lenses, it should produce stellar bokeh and sharpness at f/2. If not... Just get one of the classics instead.


You say you're not at all impressed, then mention stellar bokeh, sharpness and price/size.



Nikkor 50 1.2 AIS is $700 at B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36976-USA/Nikon_1435_NIKKOR_Normal_50mm_f_1_2.html

7Artisans is $370.




Nov 15, 2017 at 11:05 PM
JohnDizzo15
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


Makten wrote:
Sorry, but I'm not at all impressed. Very similar to the fastest f/1.2 lenses of the 80:s, like the Nikkor 50/1.2.
But, at the price and size, why not? If it renders like the old school lenses, it should produce stellar bokeh and sharpness at f/2. If not... Just get one of the classics instead.


No need to apologize. To each his own as image rendering preferences are a very subjective thing.

I agree. The look does bear some resemblance to some of the older fast lenses. However, having played with and owned many, this one definitely has a rendering that I have not come across previously at 1.1.

Between the varying looks from 1.1-2.0, the T-stop/light gathering when needed, solid build/looks, ability to mount onto the TAP for autofocus, compactness, and price point, I'd say it is a no brainer if you are into the sort of thing.

I'd say that this lens is very very niche and not designed to appeal to the masses. It doesn't have the smoothest bokeh, best microcontrast, best sharpness, etc etc etc. But there are a slew of other reasons that when considering the totality of what the lens brings to the table, that make it one of my favorites. I have owned and currently own a plethora of 50-58mm fast primes from vintage to modern. The 7Artisans unequivocally gives me something that I previously didn't have. For anyone looking for that, it is easily worth more than the price of admission.



Nov 15, 2017 at 11:20 PM
Makten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


Desmolicious wrote:
You say you're not at all impressed, then mention stellar bokeh, sharpness and price/size.



Nikkor 50 1.2 AIS is $700 at B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36976-USA/Nikon_1435_NIKKOR_Normal_50mm_f_1_2.html

7Artisans is $370.


Well, I have a Nikkor 55/1.2 that I gave ~$150 for, and an Olympus 55/1.2 that cost me ~$100. I had the Nikkor 50/1.2 that was like ~$200. So it's all about finding a reasonable deal.
Regarding bokeh, all of the mentioned lenses can give a terrible look at f/1.2, but all of them are very nice at f/2. So if the 7artisans 50/1.1 does that too, it could be worth it. Otherwise I'd look for the old ones.



Nov 15, 2017 at 11:22 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 7Artisans 50mm f/1.1 in Leica M Mount


mjm6 wrote:
That's a lot of vignetting for such a short hood... It's a little surprising to me.

Has anyone tried the 35mm f2 lens? It might make a nice light travel lens... I've been tempted to buy back an old Canon RF 35mm f2 lens for that purpose, but I would expect that something like this would be a bit better corrected for the corners.


Nope, the corners on the 35/2 are pretty consistently terrible, even stopped down to f/8. Soft with transverse CA. Nice bokeh. That's the best I can say about it.



Nov 16, 2017 at 12:01 AM
1      
2
       3              11       12       end






FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              11       12       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password