New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Advice on group pictures

bluerunner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice on group pictures

I am a hobbyist photographer, mostly into landscape and an occasional portrait and pets. My gear includes an old Canon 1DsIII and a Sony a7RII. Recently, I ave been asked to do a photoshoot of a family get-together in the backyard of a home and at around 10am. There will be about 10 adults and a few kids. I could have said no as I have never done any group pictures before but I am taking this opportunity to learn a few things. I plan to take both camera bodies but I am not sure what lenses to bring and to use. Here are some of my gear and what I had in mind:

Canon 17-40mm f4 (for group pictures)
Canon 50mm f1.4 (for portraits and small groups)
Samyang 14mm f2.8 (for group pictures - not sure if this would be too wide)
Sigma 150mm f2.8 (for candid shots)
Canon 580EX flash with Gary Fong diffuser

For my a7Rii, I have:
FE 35mm f2.8 ZA (for group pictures?)
FE 24-70mm f4 ZA OSS
Minolta 80-200mm f2.8 via a Sony LA-EA4 adapter (for candid shots)

My question is- Given my limited and older gear, what you use? Any recommendations is most appreciated!

Nov 12, 2017 at 01:26 PM
bluerunner
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice on group pictures

I also have a Canon 24-70mm f2.8 version I lens that I could use.

Nov 12, 2017 at 01:27 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice on group pictures

take your 24-70mm depending on the size of the venue (the backyard). you may need that close and personal zoom. better to have it with you and not need it than to not have it and need it.

Nov 12, 2017 at 04:06 PM
bluerunner
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice on group pictures

Thanks for your advice. Agree with you on the 24-70. My next question is should I use the 24-70 f2.8 on Canon 1Dsiii or the 24-70 f4 on Sony a7rii?

Nov 12, 2017 at 06:09 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice on group pictures

Lenses aren't really the number one thing. How many off-camera flash do you have? I never use on-camera flash for portraits.

Kent in SD

Nov 13, 2017 at 09:43 PM
Gunslinger
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice on group pictures

Grab a wide angle for the crew and have fun. Look for good light (essential) and make sure everyone has a blast!!

Nov 13, 2017 at 09:52 PM
dhmeir

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice on group pictures

Bluerunner,

These comments are based on your post question. In other words, I may be making assumptions you didn't address in your question.

Try not to dwell too much on your equipment. You're much better off using the body and the lens you're comfortable with. Two23 is correct - if you have the ability - use your flash off camera. But for this session, if it can only be on camera that's fine. With regard to the lens, use the longest focal length you have wherein you can still capture the whole group. Don't use a wide-angle and come in close.

Photographing families is more about the pose, the light and their experience. As Gunslinger says, make sure everyone has a blast.

If you can find an area of open shade that would be great. Not sure where you are but by 10:00 am the light may already be getting too far overhead. If you have a bright sunny day and can find the open shade you can use the ambient light for your overall exposure and add some direction with the flash - even if it is on camera. If you're comfortable using your flash on automatic then do that - but set it to minus one or so - just not full power. If possible also set the flash head to wide angle to get the most coverage.

When you start posing the group let them know this is the most time-consuming part. Get the adults posed first and then put the kids in at the end - especially if they're young and squirmy. Pose each person so they'd look good - even if it were just a portrait of them alone. Try and vary the head heights if you can. Use chairs or foot-stools, chunks of wood, retaining walls, steps - whatever you can find to give you some variety.

Again, don't dwell on your equipment. Take a couple images to check your exposure and then forget about it. Concentrate on your subjects, talking to them, acting goofy. If they have a good time during the session there's a good chance they'll love the images.

All I got. Good luck.

Nov 14, 2017 at 01:56 PM
bluerunner
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice on group pictures

Thanks Two23, Gunslinger, and especially dhmeir. Great advice! Exactly what I was looking for! Here is my proposed setup for the group picture:

Sony A7Rii with 24-70 set to f8 on a tripod and off-camera flash (set to wide angle) and trigger remotely. And then just concentrate on posing and herding cats!

Nov 14, 2017 at 08:36 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice on group pictures

Great advice above. The only thing I might add is when posing the group be mindful of the gaps between people. People often give each other too much space. What looks like 8 inches when you're standing next to someone can look like 2 feet and a big gap to the camera.

And for maybe a bit of inspiration, here's my first attempt at a semi-formal group photo of my family a few years ago. My lighting setup was two off-camera flashes positioned just out of frame, left and right of the group.

Edit: the EXIF didn't show up. It was 50mm, f/5.6, 1/200.

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:21 AM
bluerunner
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice on group pictures

What a nice looking family! Thank you jeraldcook for sharing.

Nov 15, 2017 at 09:22 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.