New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Kahlyn

Todd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kahlyn

All natural light from large windows. Just a quick photo, I like this one a lot. I also LOVE that Zeiss glass...

Zeiss Milvus 1.4/85

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:08 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kahlyn

An excellent capture, especially if not planned.

A tad more DOF would have kept her back eye in focus, but that is my only nit on an otherwise excellent capture

greg

Nov 12, 2017 at 03:39 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kahlyn

Thanks for your input...
I was purposely shooting at f/1.4 with manual focus testing my skills with the new D850. That camera definitely allows helps with manual focus with its new focus system. She is my niece and was about to leave for church so I had five minutes with her this morning. I’m happy that I got what I got in that short time... plus I love my Zeiss lenses.

gheller wrote:
An excellent capture, especially if not planned.

A tad more DOF would have kept her back eye in focus, but that is my only nit on an otherwise excellent capture

greg

Nov 12, 2017 at 08:37 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kahlyn

Beautiful image! Great job with the lighting and composition. Beautiful rendering with that glass. Nice job with the monochrome conversion.

I wish you would repost with a downsized file so I could see it without scrolling back and forth on my computer. I'd also like to see a few more images from the shoot if you have any you'd like to share.

Thanks for sharing.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:47 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kahlyn

Todd wrote:
I was purposely shooting at f/1.4 with manual focus testing my skills with the new D850. That camera definitely allows helps with manual focus with its new focus system. She is my niece and was about to leave for church so I had five minutes with her this morning. I’m happy that I got what I got in that short time... plus I love my Zeiss lenses.

Very nice! You have a lovely niece and did a great job capturing her.

It did make me think about shooting portraits with a 4x5 view camera. That's a real challenge! What made me think about it was the ability to swing and tilt the lens plane. With a view camera, you could get the same shallow DOF but with both eyes in focus.

I also like your monochrome treatment.

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:01 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kahlyn

Thank you very much...
Here is a smaller one, hopefully this one is small enough for your monitor. I really appreciate your compliments. I only had these two different poses before she had to leave, but I will be visiting her again soon.

film_4ever wrote:
Beautiful image! Great job with the lighting and composition. Beautiful rendering with that glass. Nice job with the monochrome conversion.

I wish you would repost with a downsized file so I could see it without scrolling back and forth on my computer. I'd also like to see a few more images from the shoot if you have any you'd like to share.

Thanks for sharing.

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:10 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kahlyn

Thank you for your kind words. I did read where several of you guys wished that both of her eyes were in focus, I guess I didn’t really think about it when shooting this because I was in a hurry, I didn’t really think it meant that much to everybody or bothered the viewers as much. I did a online search of shallow depth of field portraits and I found many of women with only one eye and focus so I guess it’s more common than I thought. I will revisit this pose again soon and come up with different ways of doing it and shoot it at different apertures as well.

dmacmillan wrote:
Very nice! You have a lovely niece and did a great job capturing her.

It did make me think about shooting portraits with a 4x5 view camera. That's a real challenge! What made me think about it was the ability to swing and tilt the lens plane. With a view camera, you could get the same shallow DOF but with both eyes in focus.

I also like your monochrome treatment.

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:14 PM
Kcct82

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kahlyn

Todd wrote:
Thank you for your kind words. I did read where several of you guys wished that both of her eyes were in focus, I guess I didn’t really think about it when shooting this because I was in a hurry, I didn’t really think it meant that much to everybody or bothered the viewers as much. I did a online search of shallow depth of field portraits and I found many of women with only one eye and focus so I guess it’s more common than I thought. I will revisit this pose again soon and come up with different
...Show more

Since you're slightly above and shooting down on her head, your sensor is probably almost parallel to her eyes. I often bracket my shots with slight focus variations when I shoot my kids. I think if you really nailed it you can get "acceptable" focus in both eyes. I've seen it before with Otus 55 and 85 at f1.4 on my 30mp 5D MkIV so YMMV on D850. Great shot none the less.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:22 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.