Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

...once again the birders and photographers have chased a bird to it's demise in the name of conservation.

The Crex Crex was sighted on Jones Beach early in the week and the word spread like wildfire and the poor Crex Crex was struck by a motorist while seeking sanctuary from the old, retired birding idiots before they leave for Florida to circle the malls.

The Snowy Owl died of exhaustion on Jones Beach last year because the wildlife experts fail to realize Owl rest by day and hunt at night.

An old geezer from the Syracuse area informed me while was at Jamaica Bay, he arrived in time to see the carcass. Then he complained about the traffic.

Farewell Crex Crex

Photo from the internet

Edited on Nov 14, 2017 at 04:39 PM · View previous versions

Nov 11, 2017 at 06:13 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

So sad , and far too common. When will we learn to be good stewards of what has been given to us.

"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her."- William Wordsworth

Birdie

Nov 11, 2017 at 07:53 PM
louie champan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

It doesn't take long after a sighting, for things to change rapidly for the wildlife and most of the time unfortunately not for the better.

Nov 11, 2017 at 08:09 PM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

I have seen this kind of transgression by photographers and birders so often that I have vowed to photograph and/or video it, then post it to shame the culprits. I've found that confronting the culprits in action, no matter how politely, doesn't do much besides causing a scene. Aggressively selfish people are not susceptible to reason.

Long ago people videoed photographers harassing a snowy owl to get pictures (in Washington State?). Links to the videos were posted here. I suspect that the transgressor photographers probably didn't do that again.

But maybe there is more direct and effective action we can take?

Here's where we need the opinion from natural resource defense attorneys or resource law enforcement people: doesn't this kind of behavior that is detrimental to wildlife constitute "illegal take" or another kind of illegal act under natural resource laws, such as the Migratory Bird Act? If so, how do we photographers contribute to stopping this harassment of wildlife?

I have found that simply reporting this to officials is frustratingly useless. In most cases, they don't have the staff or the time to respond to anything but a very large scale incident, such as an oil spill or a breaking-and-entering type of trespass. Dealing with idiot, greedy photographers and birders hounding birds and other wildlife is often not worth the rangers' time, although I am glad to report that a fellow photographer contributed to the prosecution of another photographer who broke into a wildlife refuge to photograph endangered species of nesting seabirds. The trespassing photographer flushed the parent birds off their nests, allowing gulls, crows, and ravens to swoop in and predate large numbers of eggs and nestlings from the unprotected nests. These wildlife impacts severe enough to warrant charges against the trespasser.

What else can we do that really works to fix the problem?

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:25 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

it's a shame Frank

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:39 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

Thank you Birdie

Thank you Louie

Thank you jdc562

Thank you Kenny

A cell phone rang and the birders fled into speeding vehicles that almost ran down my wife and I and Squirt and Duke because the Painted Bunting had just been spotted at Little Alley Pond.

I told the "old geezer" from Syracuse and he said "I know, I drove down for the sighting."

How many lbs of pollution did he produce during the 600 mile drive?

I drive a Volt, I recycle more than most and I always keep my distance; but everyday I witness increased ignorant encroachment on wildlife from the seniors.

An "old fart" ran through a flock of Skimmers resting on Nickerson Beach that I was photographing and I asked "why did you do that" and his answer was "I pay taxes."

I'm 62, sorry about the rant. NOT!!! I'm just getting started...

www.lettersfromfrank.com

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:41 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

Sad but true Frank. We hear stories like this too often ~ Ron

Nov 13, 2017 at 03:59 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

Perhaps someone was chasing it to put some leg jewelry on the poor bird!
Douglas

Nov 13, 2017 at 01:36 PM
aboutthelight

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

Not to start a firestorm but this thread is completely wrong and unfounded. This bird was found on the side of a major highway. It was observed for 2 days by people who were all standing at a reasonable distance by necessity. The bird was on the north side of the highway and birders and photographers all stood in the median. No one got close to the bird as they would then be standing in traffic. On top of that the bird was found dead at first light. People arrived at the scene at sunup and found the bird dead and still warm. It was not flushed and then hit by a car. It was hit by a car in the dark and not flushed by anyone. In fact, had the bird been flushed it would have flown north which would be away from the people and the traffic and not towards them. Not sure what the purpose of this is or why it was posted in the first place. I would like to think that you have just been misinformed.

Nov 13, 2017 at 04:12 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

Thank you Ron

Thank you Douglas

Thank you aboutthelight Ocean Pkwy is far from major and the old geezer was quite specific, the bird was struck at 10:30 and he arrived shortly thereafter. I was told "everyone is there" shortly after it was spotted and people came in from as far as Syracuse, so the odds the bird was "politely observed" is rather remote.

I would like to think that I have just been misinformed, but I know the crowd.

That is why I stayed far away.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

aboutthelight

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

Sorry but you were told wrong. I had 3 friends who were there at first light and texted me by about 6:45 with pics of the bird being found dead. Anyone who told you otherwise is incorrect. As for how the bird was viewed I can assure you 100% that no one stepped foot out into the parkway and all viewed from the median. Again I have about 50 friends who saw this bird as I did as well. Plus I know the finder quite well. Again this bird was on the north side of the west bound lane. So it would flush north and away from the people when cars came speeding by. Quite often it was seen running back into the scrub and then coming out to feed on the grass that borders the road. What you are saying just makes no sense. You are saying that the bird flew south and towards the people when it flushed? Does that make sense to you? You can check the archives of the state birding list and see what time the first post came out that the bird was found dead. In addition if you are a member you can check the NY Birders Facebook page and see that the post saying the bird was found dead was from last Thursday at 6:47 a.m. This is not subject to debate. The old man may have arrived later on but that doesn't change the fact that the bird was found dead at sun up after having been hit by a car in the dark.

On a separate note the bird was a young male. It was underweight and had many parasites in its belly. Info gotten from the people at the museum of natural history who have the bird and examined it.

I have attached a screenshot of the Facebook post showing the time the post went out and date. Again what you were told was completely incorrect. I should add that this was not my post or my pic as I was driving to work at the time it was found. Clearly it was not hit at 10:30 when there are pics and loads of reports from before 7.

Nov 13, 2017 at 08:57 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

So. older people searching before dawn (6:38) and posting on social media. That's not pressure.

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:31 PM
aboutthelight

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

What's with the older people bashing? The person who posted that is not old, nor would it matter if he was. The facts are you're wrong. The bird was hit by a car in the dark and found at first light still warm. What does pressure have to do with that? There could have been 1,000 people there after the bird died and it has zero impact on what actually happened. It was posted on social media because people from all over were coming to see the bird. That was more of a public service.

Edited on Nov 14, 2017 at 03:26 AM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2017 at 10:38 PM
jeffp3456

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

And people worry about feral cats!

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:12 PM
mrcolin2u
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

I wish birders/photographers would keep their distance and show respect and give wild animals some space.
I know one photographer that finds hummingbird nests and then loves to show everyone where the nest is, they then tell all their friends and voila the nest and eggs get deserted.

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:26 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

Thank you aboutthelight

Thank you Jeff

Thank you mrcolin

aboutthelight wrote:
What's with the older people bashing? The person who posted that is not old, nor would it matter if he was. The facts are you're wrong. The bird was hit by a car in the dark and found at first light still warm.

That's even worse, a young person searching for a bird in the dark, and then believing a social media posting is a public service.

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:49 PM
aboutthelight

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

Nobody searched in the dark. No birder or photographer has anything to do with the birds unfortunate death. And yes the social media post is a pilublic service. As you already know, people were en route from Syracuse and places much farther than Syracuse. The emails to the state birding list, NY Facebook page and other pages was getting the word out so others did not drive or fly in to see a dead bird. So people did not take off work to see a dead bird. Just common courtesy to fellow nature enthusiasts. It's very odd how your reaction after finding out that your entire post had no merit isn't completely different. Seems something like well it's great to hear that I was misinformed or sorry to hear about the bird but happy to hear it was a result of a driver in the dark and not misguided people going to see the bird. Instead you invent people looking before dawn, invent their age and harp on other silly things about social media posts. I could tell you for a fact that I was going to leave work early and go back and try and see the bird again. Those posts helped me and many others. Isn't this all settled yet? Yet got wrong information, did no research to confirm what you were told. Had you done that you would have easily found out that the gentleman was incorrect. Instead you posted and accused people of something that didn't happen. Then when you were shown proof of when it happened you just harp on other things.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:28 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

Social media caused a stampede and the Grax Grax was murdered by some unknown, visually impaired, insomniac birder that wanted to be the first of the day. Patrick Horan says he found a warm dead bird in the grass a few minutes after dawn.

A suspect, the first at the scene of the crime Very interesting.

Thank you aboutthelight Your intel cracked the case.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:31 PM
aboutthelight

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

OK I give up.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:43 PM
RikWriter
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Crex Crex murdered... Suspect identified

You may as well not bother. People want to feel righteously indignant and blame those they consider "beneath them" and no amount of facts will change their mind. It's easier to feel than to actually get the facts.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password