FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · TDP: Placeholder for The 85/1.4 L IS Review Is Up

speedmaster20d
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · TDP: Placeholder for The 85/1.4 L IS Review Is Up

just got mine in the mail and already love it. Tack sharp and such a nice bokeh. It is the best portrait lens I have owned so far and I have tried quite a few from different brands.

Dec 10, 2017 at 02:42 AM
cameron12x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · TDP: Placeholder for The 85/1.4 L IS Review Is Up

chvvkumar wrote:
Dustin Abbott's review is up

https://youtu.be/iJqcXqOaOLE

A very objective review--nicely done.

However, if one does empirical testing with one metric, the other input variables need to be normalized.

A brighter image will inherently show less micro contrast.

This is not to say that the Tamron isn't sharper in certain areas and at certain apertures. But let's make this a fair comparison across the frame with equal lighting.

And to be completely pragmatic, how often does one look at corner sharpness when evaluating portraits?

As I noted in my previous comments, the CA is a bit more than I would like when shooting below f/2.8, but again, that won't be a factor in most portrait work. There may be other applications where it might come into play, but I believe those would represent a very small sample size.

All of that being said, the Tamron f/1.8 with image stabilization seems to be an excellent lens for the money.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:11 AM
bushwacker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · TDP: Placeholder for The 85/1.4 L IS Review Is Up

Faster focusing.? Yeah but not accurate. See fast is different from spot on.

nathanlake wrote:
Allow me to blaspheme...I do like the Canon 85 1.2 and 1.4. However, IMO the Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art is a better lens. Faster focusing, sharper, 4 year warrant, overall feel...the Sigma wins.

The Canon 1.4L does have IS and weather sealing, but does that make it worth an extra $400

Canon $1599
Sigma $1199

Dec 10, 2017 at 04:44 PM
takowasa
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · TDP: Placeholder for The 85/1.4 L IS Review Is Up

cameron12x wrote:
And on the flip side, how many low-light shots will be "missed" because the Sigma doesn't have IS?

None -- if you use the Sigma on the A7R3.

Dec 11, 2017 at 02:23 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · TDP: Placeholder for The 85/1.4 L IS Review Is Up

I wish Canon had gone all out on the new 85 1.4 IS with the BR element and whatever was needed to do the best Canon can do. From a marketing perspective the 85 is such an important lens. They could have dropped the 85 1.2 price a bit and brought the new lens to market as the latest greatest at a higher price. I'd pay, maybe not at intro prices, but I'd pay more for the best Canon can do. This lens has little over the 85 1.2 other than IS, (and focus speed) though those can be a big deal for some people.

As for sharpness, I think it is somewhat overstated in a portrait lens. The 85 1.2 II is plenty sharp enough for my use. Corner resolution has never been an issue for me on a portrait lens. The 85 1.2 renders a wonderful image. It looks like the new 84 1.4 IS does a good job too. In that regard I believe it will be a fine portrait lens though I wish Canon had taken that extra step to remove all CA. If I were buying one or the other today, I'd most likely take the new IS 85 over the 1.2. But as an 85 1.2 owner, I don't feel the need to change at this time.

Dec 11, 2017 at 03:49 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · TDP: Placeholder for The 85/1.4 L IS Review Is Up

What are the chances of getting one before Christmas?

Dec 11, 2017 at 03:55 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · TDP: Placeholder for The 85/1.4 L IS Review Is Up

Dustin Abott Canon 85mm F1.4 image quality breakdown

image quality breakdown:

followup:

Dec 11, 2017 at 04:17 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · TDP: Placeholder for The 85/1.4 L IS Review Is Up

NCAndy wrote:
I wish Canon had gone all out on the new 85 1.4 IS with the BR element and whatever was needed to do the best Canon can do. From a marketing perspective the 85 is such an important lens. They could have dropped the 85 1.2 price a bit and brought the new lens to market as the latest greatest at a higher price. I'd pay, maybe not at intro prices, but I'd pay more for the best Canon can do. This lens has little over the 85 1.2 other than IS, (and focus speed) though those can be a
...Show more

Have to agree with your comments. I guess I lucked out and got a very sharp copy of the 85 II. I've decided to keep my f1.2 and augment it with the Milvus 85. I got an amazing deal on the Milvus which I couldn't refuse. The Milvus produces a very clean image and manual focus and no IS are not an issue for me.

Dec 11, 2017 at 07:31 PM
ngaio
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · TDP: Placeholder for The 85/1.4 L IS Review Is Up

rattlebonez wrote:
Dustin Abott Canon 85mm F1.4 image quality breakdown
followup:

Thanks for posting the followup video! They're really well done. Two cheers to Mr. Abott.

It's somewhat amusing to see him talking so much about color fringing all the while the background of his video has massive green fringing. It reminded me of the 2012 Gael García Bernal film "No", except that the fringing in that film was intentional

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:30 PM
iplayazi
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · TDP: Placeholder for The 85/1.4 L IS Review Is Up

I have this lens. So far I love it. I really wanted to compare the bokeh so CPS at Canon was nice enough to lend me the 1.2 version I have run my own real world tests between the two and so far I am happy with the new one. MHO they have done some magical fall off with the 1.4L.

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:27 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.