Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared
  
 
Cloudbow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


I have a Canon 5D Mark IV that I had converted to infrared (590nm). The 590 "super color" is a little overkill for my taste. I am able to put a 720nm or 850nm filter on the lens to get those IR wavelengths, as well. The only drawback is that once you put an IR filter on the lens, you are limited to using Live View for composing; otherwise, it works pretty well.

Does anyone use a converted Canon 5D Mark IV that was converted to either 720nm or 850nm? I'm interested in seeing samples because I am considering sending the camera back in to have the 590nm filter swapped for either 720nm or 850nm.

Thanks.



Nov 10, 2017 at 11:45 PM
technic
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


Cloudbow wrote:
I have a Canon 5D Mark IV that I had converted to infrared (590nm). The 590 "super color" is a little overkill for my taste. I am able to put a 720nm or 850nm filter on the lens to get those IR wavelengths, as well. The only drawback is that once you put an IR filter on the lens, you are limited to using Live View for composing; otherwise, it works pretty well.

Does anyone use a converted Canon 5D Mark IV that was converted to either 720nm or 850nm? I'm interested in seeing samples because I am considering sending the
...Show more

Sorry, no experience with a converted 5D4 and I guess there are very few of them around because it is still a very new camera.

I used a 450D 720nm for several years and next time would probably chose 850nm, even more with FF body where the light loss of such a filter is less of a problem (using pseudo-color IR is no longer an option in that case). IMHO the 'super color' works for very few subjects, it gets boring very quickly. If you don't really know what you want yet 720nm is a good compromise.



Nov 11, 2017 at 01:36 PM
realVivek
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


Try liveview focusing as well in 590, 720 and 850nm. You may change your mind and use the camera only with live view!


Nov 11, 2017 at 02:07 PM
Cloudbow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared



realVivek wrote:
Try liveview focusing as well in 590, 720 and 850nm. You may change your mind and use the camera only with live view!


I do use Live View to focus, even if I compose through the viewfinder. I think you pretty much have to with infrared to get an accurate focus, don't you?

When the 590 filter does produce something really sweet, whether I channel swap or not, I know I'll miss it when it's gone. I've had it only a few months, so I guess I shouldn't give up on it yet.



Nov 11, 2017 at 02:59 PM
realVivek
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


Have you considered the newly available clip filters from STC and Astronomik? You drop in the stronger filters in current camera. You can thus avoid carrying various filters for different lenses.

If you change your camera to one that has a 720 or 850nm filter the possibility to gofrom 590 to 1000nm is not available.



Nov 11, 2017 at 03:09 PM
Cloudbow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


Never heard of them, but I researched them just now. Thanks. I sent the links to my photo buddy, who is more into astro-photography than I am. He has a nice telescope.


Nov 11, 2017 at 03:47 PM
technic
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


Cloudbow wrote:
I do use Live View to focus, even if I compose through the viewfinder. I think you pretty much have to with infrared to get an accurate focus, don't you?

When the 590 filter does produce something really sweet, whether I channel swap or not, I know I'll miss it when it's gone. I've had it only a few months, so I guess I shouldn't give up on it yet.


If you want to see what can be done with 590nm check the Asian IR forums, the goldy filters (and extensive PP) are popular over there.

I do almost all IR photography in Liveview mode, not only for accurate focusing but also because it is easier to mail exposure and you get a better idea of the final result (especially in fast changing weather/lighting conditions); if conditions are 'stable' I sometimes use manual exposure and OVF for composition.

Because of this I'm now considering going back to an IR-converted large sensor compact, something like a Ricoh GRII because the ergonomics for IR are more natural (Liveview is default making use much easier/faster) and a large percentage of my IR shots are at 24-35mm equiv. focal length. Plus I hate carrying an additional DSLR body (and often additional IR-suitable lenses) just in case conditions are favorable for IR, which isn't too often over here.



Nov 11, 2017 at 04:07 PM
retrofocus
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


I am using my 5D MkII converted with 715 nm cutoff filter which I still makes very good use of. I think that there is not a visible difference between IR-converted 5D MkII and MkIV sensor - I believe the image results will be indistinguishable with the same IR cutoff filter applied.


Nov 11, 2017 at 04:59 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Cloudbow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


retrofocus wrote:
I am using my 5D MkII converted with 715 nm cutoff filter which I still makes very good use of. I think that there is not a visible difference between IR-converted 5D MkII and MkIV sensor - I believe the image results will be indistinguishable with the same IR cutoff filter applied.


I wouldn't mind seeing some of your IR images. Do you have a link to them?

What I didn't mention in my OP was that I also have a converted Canon 7D with a 720nm filter. It was my first conversion to see if I liked shooting IR. When I found out I liked it a lot, I then took the plunge for the Mark IV. I'm just not so sure that the 590 filter was the best choice.






Nov 11, 2017 at 05:17 PM
Cloudbow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


technic wrote:
If you want to see what can be done with 590nm check the Asian IR forums, the goldy filters (and extensive PP) are popular over there.

I do almost all IR photography in Liveview mode, not only for accurate focusing but also because it is easier to mail exposure and you get a better idea of the final result (especially in fast changing weather/lighting conditions); if conditions are 'stable' I sometimes use manual exposure and OVF for composition.

Because of this I'm now considering going back to an IR-converted large sensor compact, something like a Ricoh GRII because the ergonomics for
...Show more

I've seen some beautiful work with the 590 filters. I belong to several Facebook IR groups. I don't mind doing a lot of PP, but I hate that I have to go into Photoshop and create a huge TIF file just to do a channel swap. I keep hoping Lightroom will incorporate a channel swap function. However, I've also seen (and produced) some really nice 590 images with the colors as captured, and appropriately white-balanced. The 590 colors seem hard to tame, though.

I feel your pain about carrying the IR camera and lenses in addition to normal RGB gear "just in case." But once the IR bug bites you, it's like you don't want to miss a chance to capture a scene in IR if the scene and light are right for it. And, of course, IR opportunity is great when the light is the absolute worst for normal shooting!

I think a large sensor compact would be perfect for IR. Nice, also, that the Ricoh GR II can capture RAW.



Nov 11, 2017 at 05:39 PM
technic
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


Cloudbow wrote:
I've seen some beautiful work with the 590 filters. I belong to several Facebook IR groups. I don't mind doing a lot of PP, but I hate that I have to go into Photoshop and create a huge TIF file just to do a channel swap. I keep hoping Lightroom will incorporate a channel swap function. However, I've also seen (and produced) some really nice 590 images with the colors as captured, and appropriately white-balanced. The 590 colors seem hard to tame, though.

I feel your pain about carrying the IR camera and lenses in addition to normal RGB gear "just
...Show more

Agree that IR and normal shooting usually require very different lighting conditions, so most of the time it's one or the other and not both. But if you go out for a longer time it is still difficult deciding what gear to take with you.

A mirrorless camera with APS-C or FF sensor and suitable lens could be another option, especially if it can also take ones other (Canon EF) lenses. But at the moment I don't see really attractive options for this due lack of IR-suitable small SWA primes; maybe next year ;-)



Nov 11, 2017 at 07:16 PM
Cloudbow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


technic wrote:
Agree that IR and normal shooting usually require very different lighting conditions, so most of the time it's one or the other and not both. But if you go out for a longer time it is still difficult deciding what gear to take with you.

A mirrorless camera with APS-C or FF sensor and suitable lens could be another option, especially if it can also take ones other (Canon EF) lenses. But at the moment I don't see really attractive options for this due lack of IR-suitable small SWA primes; maybe next year ;-)


I don't have a mirrorless yet, but if Canon releases on that competes with Sony's best mirrorless, I could be tempted. But when you start putting big lenses on a mirrorless camera, it starts to lose its size advantage!

My photo outings usually turn into all-day affairs, so I tend to take more gear than I end up using. The past year or two, however, I've been doing more night photography. Found out that the 590nm IR works pretty well for silhouettes when there is still sunset color in the sky.





Nov 12, 2017 at 01:38 AM
technic
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


Cloudbow wrote:
I don't have a mirrorless yet, but if Canon releases on that competes with Sony's best mirrorless, I could be tempted. But when you start putting big lenses on a mirrorless camera, it starts to lose its size advantage!


Fortunately - for me - mirrorless can have a clear size/weight advantage for the types of lenses I would use most for IR photography, (S)WA primes with modest aperture. A relatively compact mirrorless body with a small prime that can also take EF lenses in case you need longer focal length could be the best of both worlds (of course, with a normal EF lens the combo would no longer be small, but as an 'emergency solution' that's fine with me).

My main objection to using cameras like the Ricoh GRII and Coolpix A for IR is that they have a fixed LCD (and no tilt LCD or EVF), making it more difficult to use for IR photography. 450D-IR was a pain to use in LV mode, difficult to see what is going on on the LCD especially in sunny conditions due to glare etc; my old Sony DSC-F717-IR was soo much easier to use thanks to the (primitive) EVF ...



Nov 12, 2017 at 03:11 PM
Cloudbow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


technic wrote:
My main objection to using cameras like the Ricoh GRII and Coolpix A for IR is that they have a fixed LCD (and no tilt LCD or EVF), making it more difficult to use for IR photography. 450D-IR was a pain to use in LV mode, difficult to see what is going on on the LCD especially in sunny conditions due to glare etc; my old Sony DSC-F717-IR was soo much easier to use thanks to the (primitive) EVF ...


A tilt LCD is probably the simplest, yet biggest, feature that Canon is missing from their 5D and 7D lines. My guess is that the thinking is that it is a non-professional gimmick feature. Well, maybe when it first started showing up on cameras, it was; but its value to photographic convenience has been well-proven since then. My little Sony RX100 Mark II has an articulated LCD, but none of my Canon DSLRs do and I wish they did.






Nov 13, 2017 at 05:22 PM
technic
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


Cloudbow wrote:
A tilt LCD is probably the simplest, yet biggest, feature that Canon is missing from their 5D and 7D lines. My guess is that the thinking is that it is a non-professional gimmick feature. Well, maybe when it first started showing up on cameras, it was; but its value to photographic convenience has been well-proven since then. My little Sony RX100 Mark II has an articulated LCD, but none of my Canon DSLRs do and I wish they did.


Agree, I really don't understand what took Canon so long; Nikon clearly took the lead here, also in their professional bodies. I now have the 80D and for me the swivel screen (just tilt would be fine for me as well) was the best new feature on this camera compared to my older 450D. Not only because it helps viewing the LCD in difficult lighting conditions and when you have older eyes that cannot focus close, but even more because it allows all kinds of unusual positions/angles for macro shooting etc.



Nov 13, 2017 at 07:05 PM
Cloudbow
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5D Mark IV Infrared


technic wrote:
Agree, I really don't understand what took Canon so long; Nikon clearly took the lead here, also in their professional bodies. I now have the 80D and for me the swivel screen (just tilt would be fine for me as well) was the best new feature on this camera compared to my older 450D. Not only because it helps viewing the LCD in difficult lighting conditions and when you have older eyes that cannot focus close, but even more because it allows all kinds of unusual positions/angles for macro shooting etc.


I have one of those Canon Angle Finder attachments for the viewfinder. It works fairly well, but I almost never use it. It's great for when you have the camera on the ground for a flower close up. You can look straight down into the viewfinder (like a view camera) instead of having to lay on the ground or twist your neck into an impossible position to see the LCD or through the viewfinder. I either forget to use it, think "it's just one shot, why bother," or don't have it with me.




Nov 13, 2017 at 07:37 PM







FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password