New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Why No 'Dandelion' Chip for Sony?

BenjaminSmith
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why No 'Dandelion' Chip for Sony?

Back in my Canon days I used alt glass and Dandelion or equivalent chips to record EXIF data. Programming the chip was clunky, sometimes info got wiped, but it was better than nothing.

Why is there no equivalent for Sony? A reliable, easy to program chip for alt glass would make lots of people happy.

Maybe THAT'S what I want for Christmas

Nov 10, 2017 at 07:38 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why No 'Dandelion' Chip for Sony?

If you are using a TechArt Pro then you can program in the focal length of the lens. But you are on your own if it is coming down to the actual aperture used.

Nov 10, 2017 at 07:59 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why No 'Dandelion' Chip for Sony?

Although it's a bit of a kludge, and pretty selective you can use a Canon dandelion and one of the cheap AF Canon-Sony adapters. I got a surprise like this myself after buying an FD lens with an Ed Mike adapter (including chip). I put the lens on a Canon-Sony adapter without realizing it was an AF adapter and got the FL and the (fixed of course) F stop of the lens. Of course it means you have to use Canon adapters on your lenses in addition to the Canon-FE on all of your MF lenses which I know many don't like to do, and it makes it awkward or impossible for some FD and Rokkor as well as RF lenses that don't adapt to Canon.

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:05 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why No 'Dandelion' Chip for Sony?

Canon EOS is actually an ideal adapter for Sony cameras. Just about everything can be adapted to Canon so it's a great "translator". Back when I used an A7R I adapted Nikon F, Pentax K, and M42 Takumar lenses to my Sony camera using various Canon EOS mount adapters. This involves multiple adapters, which scares some people. For what it's worth, I adapted a Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 ZF (Nikon mount) lens like this using a Leitax adapter in between (ideal) and a cheapo Nikon to Canon adapter; both worked equally well.

Nov 10, 2017 at 09:03 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why No 'Dandelion' Chip for Sony?

Just out of curiosity; why is it important to know what lens and aperture you have used for a certain image?
The only time I seek such info is when I use lenses that are new to me, so that I can evaluate them properly. Then I don't care anymore.

Nov 10, 2017 at 09:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BenjaminSmith
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why No 'Dandelion' Chip for Sony?

Makten wrote:
Just out of curiosity; why is it important to know what lens and aperture you have used for a certain image?

For one, it means I don't have to set the focal length for IBIS, a time and hassle saver.

It also allows me to determine which lens I used years after the fact, something my feeble memory cannot do right now.

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:04 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why No 'Dandelion' Chip for Sony?

there are chips for sony (a-mount):

http://eadpt.com/eadpen.htm

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:09 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why No 'Dandelion' Chip for Sony?

A fair question. In the film day I never worried too much. But today I like to track at least the lens. I don't worry about aperture. Why? One part curiosity, and another diagnostic. For example my desire to get an ultra wide lens faded once I realized how little I actually used those focal lengths.

Makten wrote:
The only time I seek such info is when I use lenses that are new to me, so that I can evaluate them properly. Then I don't care anymore.

Nov 11, 2017 at 03:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why No 'Dandelion' Chip for Sony?

It seems to me that a "Dandelion" for focus confirmation is not really needed for Sony mirrorless cameras since they have focus magnification and peaking to aid manual focus.

Nov 14, 2017 at 05:42 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password