New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

On1 Photo Raw; are you KIDDING me?

phil hawkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · On1 Photo Raw; are you KIDDING me?

Bought OnOne Photo Raw in May of 2016 for $79 and it never worked as advertised. S_L_O_W to the point of being unusable. I figure they would fix it, but not until the new version of Photo Raw 2018, now for the sum of $99 for the update! I get unusable software for almost 18 months and now the new version is "upgrade" priced at $99? Save $20 if you were a beta tester. Woo Hoo. Seriously? And I thought Adobe was bad.

I'll just use Luminar at $39. OnOne is smoking crack.

Nov 10, 2017 at 06:43 PM
butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · On1 Photo Raw; are you KIDDING me?

That's the beauty of the free market perpetual license model. You get to evaluate a purchase for a product before you offer up any coin of the realm as you are not obligated to support the developer's efforts that have no merit for your use.

That said Phil, have you tested the new version of ON1 Photo RAW 2018? Or has the sticker shock alone determined your view? Does the trial for the current version work up to your expectations or is it still problematic? A lot has changed since May 2016.

Nov 10, 2017 at 07:05 PM
jstrawman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · On1 Photo Raw; are you KIDDING me?

butchM wrote:
That's the beauty of the free market perpetual license model. You get to evaluate a purchase for a product before you offer up any coin of the realm as you are not obligated to support the developer's efforts that have no merit for your use.

That said Phil, have you tested the new version of ON1 Photo RAW 2018? Or has the sticker shock alone determined your view? Does the trial for the current version work up to your expectations or is it still problematic? A lot has changed since May 2016.

Well said.

The first beta was a bit slow, but now the latest iteration works fine on my lowly I5 laptop, which
has no dedicated graphics card.

Nov 10, 2017 at 07:56 PM
gcbermejo

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · On1 Photo Raw; are you KIDDING me?

I couldn't even get the software to work on my system, emailed them with the issue a couple of times but they never responded.
At least it was only a trial version for 30 days so nothing lost.

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · On1 Photo Raw; are you KIDDING me?

gcbermejo wrote:
I couldn't even get the software to work on my system, emailed them with the issue a couple of times but they never responded.
At least it was only a trial version for 30 days so nothing lost.

Which version of the software? What system configuration? Your experience doesn't help if we don't know the details.

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:33 PM
spoupard
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · On1 Photo Raw; are you KIDDING me?

I used On1 Photo prior to the release of On1 Photo Raw 2017. I like On1 so much that I purchased the pre-release version of Photo Raw 2017. It barely ran on my computer; the same one that I previously used for the pre-Raw version of On1. It was a real dog and didn't get any better as interim updates were released.

When On1 Photo Raw 2018 was released, I gave the free version a test run. While it does actually run on my computer, it is still pretty slow. My computer meets or exceeds all of the minimum requirements. I'm quite sure that the problem is with my video card (or lack thereof). I'm using a Toshiba Satellite C55-C5268.

Based on the slowness and the fact that the upgrade costs so much, I'm going to pass. I'm using Affinity Photo and it works great for my needs.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:32 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · On1 Photo Raw; are you KIDDING me?

I've purchased 9, 10, 11. Got the email saying the upgrade was 80 bucks. Seemed high to me. Went back and tried 11 on some of my images. So much wasn't there. Frankly when they dumped the portrait module I became disenchanted. I contacted their tech people about that omission and was told, "All that functionality is included with the latest release." Um, no it's not.

I won't lay out the $80, and On1 is on my drive, but it was/is wasted money.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:54 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · On1 Photo Raw; are you KIDDING me?

I have been using On1 software for a few years. Started with Perfect Effects 8 and bought 17 prior to its release. I, too, found it slow and did not use it much until I gave it a full set of pics from my Alaska cruise. Liked the results. Since it was so slow, I would process pics using Elements, my base software, until On1 would finally export an image. I did not care for the upgrade fee for the 2018 but for nowhere emailing On1 so downloaded a free trial. It is much faster than 17. Not a speed demon by any means but I no longer have to shave between files. I will wind up buying it. I enjoy working it and like the results I am getting. $80 for another year or so ain't too bad. Better than buying film and getting it developed. Just a little faster, too.

Nov 19, 2017 at 07:09 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password