FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Yosemite Wedding advice

sdemaio
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yosemite Wedding advice

My daughter is getting married at Glacier Point in Yosemite on August 8, 2018. We are trying to decide when the lighting is best for images so that we time the ceremony well. Granted, weather is always a concern. Does anyone have any experience at this location? Thanks.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:57 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yosemite Wedding advice

Midnight, umbrellas, rain, backlight it all.
Natural light photographers are out though.

Nov 10, 2017 at 07:50 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yosemite Wedding advice

InSanE wrote:
Midnight, umbrellas, rain, backlight it all.

LMFAO

Best burn I've seen this year.

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:01 PM
sdemaio
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yosemite Wedding advice

I haven't been to this site in a long time, I can see why. This used to be a great place for advice but the response from InSanE and amonline - what is wrong with you Jerks. For those that photograph in that area and have experience, the way the light hits the valley and Half Moon is better at certain times of the day. I got my answers from professionals elsewhere and certainly won't bother with lame losers that apparently visit here now. Such a shame, this used to be a really nice place for advice. You two suck.

Nov 12, 2017 at 08:40 PM
ahaug
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yosemite Wedding advice

I used to live in Fresno and went up to Yosemite regularly. Glacier Point is beautiful. Are you doing the ceremony on Glacier Point proper or more in a field and path right near? I don't remember much shade at Glacier point. I would set the ceremony later in the day when the sun is already a bit weaker. That allows you to do a first look and shoot the couple and bridal party in the paths, forest and fields that are right there and use the pine trees to shoot into. Then after the ceremony do the family formals and head for the reception! That would be my preference. In August, it can get really hot there so the later the better! my 2 cents

Nov 22, 2017 at 04:33 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yosemite Wedding advice

sdemaio wrote:
I haven't been to this site in a long time, I can see why. This used to be a great place for advice but the response from InSanE and amonline - what is wrong with you Jerks.

A lot of great photographers have left this forum for that exact reason. For some reason, I still check it regularly, but I sort of hate almost everyone that still posts, there are few gems in there, but a lot of nonsense just like what you've seen above. Rarely is there any useful information posted and it's mostly just amateur arguments about dual card slots and iPhones at weddings.

Anyway, I'm honestly not sure to answer your question, but maybe check a few old Ansel photos of half dome and try to see where the sun is in the sky and work backwards from there. That would be my last resort of your not able to find anyone with some experience. Maybe a cursory google search of "half dome wedding photographer" and shoot the photographer of some great images a note asking what time of day they were there, or just study the shadows and maybe you can find out. Best of luck! Annnnnnnd if your looking for someone to shoot it, my hat is officially in the ring, haha! Cheers, friend!

Nov 22, 2017 at 02:08 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yosemite Wedding advice

All of the afternoon light will be nice for photos, so plan the wedding more around a normal mealtime, as subjects look better in photos when they're fed.

Yosemite has a lot of canyons and their orientation might affect function sunset times. Best to trust a photographer who's shot the area often. Sunset's around 8pm that day, so you'd want to plan the dinner/reception with 10-20 mins for the bride+groom to sneak out with the photographer for some glory photos in magic light.

If your photographer uses off-camera flash, the best photos will often happen after sunset in the alpine glow when the sky is most seductive. By that time, the bride+groom are often in darkness and that's where the off camera flash comes in. The photographer then matches the colorful sky with strobe light.

An in-person or Skype meeting with a photographer who shoot the venue will yield far more practical information for timeline planning. Good luck!

Nov 22, 2017 at 04:30 PM
sdemaio
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yosemite Wedding advice

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate the responses. The ceremony will be right at Glacier Point. We ended up scheduling the ceremony at 2 PM which is not ideal at all but couldn't get the ceremony and reception to work otherwise. If it didn't take so long to get up and back to the site we could have made it a little later. Oh well. The wedding isn't until September, but may come back and post an image.

Nov 27, 2017 at 02:08 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yosemite Wedding advice

sdemaio wrote:
I haven't been to this site in a long time, I can see why. This used to be a great place for advice but the response from InSanE and amonline - what is wrong with you Jerks. For those that photograph in that area and have experience, the way the light hits the valley and Half Moon is better at certain times of the day. I got my answers from professionals elsewhere and certainly won't bother with lame losers that apparently visit here now. Such a shame, this used to be a really nice place for advice. You two suck.

Actually I would think you could lighten up a touch.

And just because you asked a question... what compells somebody to just hand over their knowledge to just anybody?

-Mark

btw... I do not know about shooting up there. But I can do some research.

Nov 27, 2017 at 03:53 AM
sdemaio
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yosemite Wedding advice

Mark - Why would anyone bother to answer a question if they had nothing to offer. The response was rude and not funny and frankly sounded as if they were making fun of me, like it was a stupid question. I asked a simple question for advice on lighting in an area someone may have had some experience with. I was not asking for any trade secrets but when to schedule my daughter's wedding ceremony at that location. Why would a person with knowledge have a problem with answering that? I live on the East Coast and have no idea the lighting in the area. And for that matter, we need a photographer familiar with the area and they might have been able to get a job out if it. We had to submit for a permit from the National Parks immediately and had to give a timeframe. I'm all set, have my answer and have scheduled the ceremony. I went elsewhere for advice and got my answers. Thanks for your response and your offer.

Nov 27, 2017 at 04:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yosemite Wedding advice

There's no less redeeming quality than when someone this being a giant dick, and they get called on being a giant dick, and then they respond with, "Whoa man, lighten up, I was kidding".

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:24 AM
sdemaio
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yosemite Wedding advice

Lol.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yosemite Wedding advice

i love dawn light, before sun come up above horizon gives soft colorful sky in the background. small window before sun rise above the horizon and creates harsh backlight. but no need to fight the crowd that early. sun will rise over direction of halfdome.

late afternoon light is nice as well.. but in august you will have many tourists grabbing sunset pics in your photos..

if there are nearby forest fires, sunrise & sunset skies will be epic..

i would advise shooting at other locations, and there are many above the valley, at sunset away from the crowds. a short hike is required though..

good luck.. there may be one or two wedding photogs on here who are locals to the areas. do a search of their yosemite posts.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:34 PM
sdemaio
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yosemite Wedding advice

Thanks for the response tntcorp - the first thing I did was a search using Yosemite as a keyword but had no luck. We plan on going to Glacier Point the night before to grab some sunset shots. Our original plan was for the ceremony to be at 9am but that meant 5 a.m. hair and makeup for bride and bridesmaids because of the hour drive it takes to get up there. Most of our guests will be traveling all day the day before from the East Coast and we just decided that would be too much. I am most worried about parking actually at the time of the ceremony. We were required to hire a ranger, during the ceremony time. Itís a beautiful spot but a challenge.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:48 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yosemite Wedding advice

DannyBostwick wrote:
There's no less redeeming quality than when someone this being a giant dick, and they get called on being a giant dick, and then they respond with, "Whoa man, lighten up, I was kidding".

Ah ...since I did not respond this way .... not sure your response is direct towards.....

And since we are at the level of being child-ish..... appreciate how you don't come back here often but have decided to jump in on this thread.... twice.....

.... in a span of 12 hours.

Danny ... you are better than this.

-Mark

Nov 27, 2017 at 01:08 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Yosemite Wedding advice

there is a small paved parking lot adjacent to the entrance of the viewing point/area. otherwise, guests may need to park along narrow roadway and walk to the viewing areas.. because of accessibility, the spot attracts many sightseers for sunset viewing.. :')

sdemaio wrote:
Thanks for the response tntcorp - the first thing I did was a search using Yosemite as a keyword but had no luck. We plan on going to Glacier Point the night before to grab some sunset shots. Our original plan was for the ceremony to be at 9am but that meant 5 a.m. hair and makeup for bride and bridesmaids because of the hour drive it takes to get up there. Most of our guests will be traveling all day the day before from the East Coast and we just decided that would be too much. I am most
...Show more

Nov 27, 2017 at 03:13 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Yosemite Wedding advice

Well, that got weird.

Nov 27, 2017 at 03:38 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Yosemite Wedding advice

Ziffl3 wrote:
Ah ...since I did not respond this way .... not sure your response is direct towards.....

And since we are at the level of being child-ish..... appreciate how you don't come back here often but have decided to jump in on this thread.... twice.....

.... in a span of 12 hours.

Danny ... you are better than this.

-Mark

My apologies. I'm stressed and am feeling confrontational. Sorry for being a dick. You're right.

Nov 27, 2017 at 08:55 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Yosemite Wedding advice

Cut the crap!

Q: (From lady to fellow bus-rider) Isn't my baby beautiful?
A: That's a baby?
A: Yes, in a Jabba-The-Hutt sort of way.
A: Yes, but not nearly as beautiful as this spit up on my coat.

Nov 29, 2017 at 08:53 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password