New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

Zenon Char
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

The latest recent update was LR6.13. There may be one more this year. As of 2018 Adobe will no longer update LR6 and when you get a new camera the was released in 2018 or later the same thing thing will happen as it does now in PS. PS had not been updated for years.

Nov 11, 2017 at 04:43 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

I have LR version 6.12 and it supports the 80D, 5D4, and 200D/SL2 which I have. The SL2 is newer than the 1DX2 so presumably its supported. As I said it doesn't support my 35 STM macro and Adobe's web site says you need LR 7 (CC Classic) but I can probably live with that if I don't buy any newer gears.

I've been resisting Apple's pressure to pay for cloud space and I doubt I'd use much Adobe space either. I've also been living within the free DropBox space. I'll see how long I can last resisting cloud storage.

Zenon, do you think I can update to 6.13 without getting hung up in the CC subscription complications you mentioned?

Nov 11, 2017 at 04:55 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I've been resisting Apple's pressure to pay for cloud space and I doubt I'd use much Adobe space either. I've also been living within the free DropBox space. I'll see how long I can last resisting cloud storage.

I have tried just about all of the major cloud storage services over the past few years. (Yes, there are a few that I have not tried.)

I eventually settled on Google Drive. There is a free service, but I pay something like $1.99/month for all that I need. I simply save things that I need access to on the Google Drive instead of (only) on my local drives, and it automatically syncs multiple computers. It works pretty well, aside from a few quirks.

I also resisted "Apple's pressure to pay for cloud space" for a long time, sticking with the free 5GB that comes with every iCloud account, and using it only to store some preference files. But with a recent update of my phone and an iPad I took another look. It is only $2.99/month for 200 GB, and you can share that with "family" members — basically anyone you designate. I'm currently experimenting with moving everything (almost) from the Google Drive to the iCloud drive. We'll see how that goes.

The amounts of storage that I have (roughly 200 GB in both Google's and Apple's cases) is ridiculously inexpensive, but it is not enough to hold all of my photograph files — not by a long shot. I could spend $9.99 to get a 2 TB iCloud storage account. That would likely be plenty for most photographers, though not for me...

The thing about the Adobe cloud storage plans, at least as I understand it, is that this is really just for Adobe files. If I'm right about that, their pricing seems less attractive than that of other services that allow me to use the cloud for any and all types of files.

As to the general Adobe CC subscription model (as opposed to buying a license for a boxed or downloaded copy), I was very much against this when Adobe first introduced the CC subscription model. I had some very specific and serious concerns and I wrote about them in a number of venues.

Finally, the fact that I really need to be conversant in the most recent versions of Photoshop/ACR/Bridge and Lightroom persuaded me to give it a try, and I signed up when the $9.99/month photography plan came out and included all of those programs. Despite my concerns, it has been well-worth the (trivial, it seems to me) $9.99/month cost for license.

Dan

Nov 11, 2017 at 05:53 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
I have LR version 6.12 and it supports the 80D, 5D4, and 200D/SL2 which I have. The SL2 is newer than the 1DX2 so presumably its supported. As I said it doesn't support my 35 STM macro and Adobe's web site says you need LR 7 (CC Classic) but I can probably live with that if I don't buy any newer gears.

I've been resisting Apple's pressure to pay for cloud space and I doubt I'd use much Adobe space either. I've also been living within the free DropBox space. I'll see how long I can last resisting cloud
...Show more

No you can't. It will morph into LR CC (2015). If it happens you can recover it. LR6 needs to be updated when the system does not think you are a subscription customer. Easy to get it back.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/serialize-lightroom-cc-trial-to-activate-as-lightroom-6.html

Nov 11, 2017 at 06:15 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

Update: I updated to stand alone Lightroom 6.13 and low and behind, it supports my latest lens. I first tried to update using the CC mechanism thats been working previously but it now gives an error - I guess I'm cut out of that. I manually downloaded the update from Adobe's site but had to search a bit to find it. That worked just like updating software in the olden days. Thanks Zenon, I'll remove the CC access software from my system.

gdanmitchell wrote:

I've read good things about the reliability of Google drive. Fortunately my sharing needs are minimal. When I get back from a trip or dog show I post my favorite photos on DropBox and email the link to the appropriate people. I clear the storage after a month or so for the next sharing event.

Like you, I use a small portion of my free Apple cloud storage to sync some Word documents between my iMac and iPad. I'm serious about backups but prefer physical devices and a safe deposit box for that. The little WD MyPassport USB drives are a perfect solution IMHO.

This may be a bit OT but I'll add that there is a fairly serious bug in IOS 11 that causes problems syncing photos to the mobile i devices. This occurs whether you're using the cloud or syncing through iTunes. If you're still in IOS 10 and use the photos app on your i device, don't update to IOS 11 until its been fixed.

Back on topic. I'm not opposed to the subscription software and will obviously update to that when the time arrives. Hopefully LR 6.13 will last me a while longer now.

Nov 11, 2017 at 06:29 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

Adobe makes the old stuff hard to find. They don't want you to get that, they want you to find the new stuff You are lucky it didn't change it. Sometimes errors are a good thing

Good luck. But like Arnold says "I'll be back". Did you know he is making another Terminator movie. I figure his new classic saying will be "Oh, my back".

Nov 11, 2017 at 06:44 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
There are also supposed to be speed improvements and some minor adjustment tool updates. The only feature added to the CC version of LR 6 was dehaze

That simply isn’t true. They improved a lot of things. The speed improvement on initial import is massive (with LR Classic, it’s close to Faststone/Photo Mechanic now, going from image to image in development module is almost instantanious now) but the changes to the panorama tool, HDR, handling (side by side tool a massive improvement if you need to match some eduts when you can’t carry them over) and the new luminance/color masking feature is an abolute massive improvement not just a “minor tool update”!

Nov 11, 2017 at 09:28 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

Ok, I'll concede massive vs minor on the masking feature - I haven't used LR 7 (Classic). And I appreciate the feedback on the speed improvement. That may be reason enough to upgrade. Speed was what the review article emphasized. What other improvements were made to LR 7?

My second sentence you quoted was comparing the CC vs standalone LR 6. Bug fixes and equipment support updates made it into both versions as did the HDR and panorama features. Dehaze was one of a few features that wasn't added to both. Actually they were in the main code just not directly accessible in the user interface.

Nov 11, 2017 at 10:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Ok, I'll concede massive vs minor on the masking feature - I haven't used LR 7 (Classic). And I appreciate the feedback on the speed improvement. That may be reason enough to upgrade. Speed was what the review article emphasized. What other improvements were made to LR 7?

Keep in mind, the speed increases with Lr Classic have not been universal in experience. It is dependent upon the hardware configuration at hand. Many users have seen some significant improvement while some only marginal performance improvements and others have reported little to no improvement. It appears to be a YMMV situation.

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:24 PM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

I noticed faster speeds. Export takes about 4-5 seconds instead of 9 to 10. Switching between Develop and Library is instant. I never used the build previews when I had LR6 so I don't even know if that existed. Classic builds previews as it imports so culling is faster.

Scroll down to Specify initial previews. I found that Embedded with Sidecar useless because you view them at a larger size. Can't crop etc. I think Minimal is factory. Most say Standard is the best. 1:1 imports the slowest but you get instant previews later.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/photo-video-import-options.html

Not sure how much this is worth or how much I'd trust it.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:10 AM
Zenon Char
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

This is older but I wanted to know what smart previews is about.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/lightroom-smart-previews.html

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:12 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

Edit: Used the link at the beginning of this thread to look at options and noticed the 20GB/$10/mo plan is gone. There all 1 TB and cost $20/mo. The single app plan doesn't include Lightroom Classic. Guess we're all SOL. This isn't worth $240 per year to me.

The faster speeds in the video look impressive. I have a similar high end iMac to the one used. The import part doesn't bother me too much, I just walk away. But the image to image stepping improvement in library and develop is very attractive. Thats probably the speed issue that bugs me most.

Maybe I should upgrade. I'd also get the latest photoshop, my PSE 9 doesn't support retina . I really only use it for images that are not in my Lightroom catalog or messing with layers which is not too often. Have to think about this.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:58 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Edit: Used the link at the beginning of this thread to look at options and noticed the 20GB/$10/mo plan is gone. There all 1 TB and cost $20/mo. The single app plan doesn't include Lightroom Classic. Guess we're all SOL. This isn't worth $240 per year to me.

You are confusing the issue here. The $9.99 Photography plan has always come with 20GB of cloud storage included as it does now. It may not be detailed in the initial listing, but it is there.

Nov 12, 2017 at 01:27 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

The 20 GB plan is not available when I pull down the options. This is new from earlier today.

Edit: OK so if I go to the menu selection with my iPad the 20G option is still there, but I can no longer see that option in Safari on my iMac. Very strange.

Nov 12, 2017 at 02:02 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · No more Ps - Lr CC - $10 month?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
The 20 GB plan is not available when I pull down the options. This is new from earlier today.

Edit: OK so if I go to the menu selection with my iPad the 20G option is still there, but I can no longer see that option in Safari on my iMac. Very strange.

'Strange' pretty well sums up Adobe's web site. Visitors can experience all sorts of weirdness regardless of the browser used. I've seen this many times over the years ... and ... unofficially I thin they do a lot of tweaking to the site over weekends ... but you'll never get them to admit that.

Nov 12, 2017 at 02:33 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password