New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

I am new to Sony and so confused about the PlayMemories Mobile application. The new manual/help guide references PlayMemories but there is another post talking about that application not being available.

Assuming it is available (not sure why they would have it in their new help guide) if it is not, it looks like you have to transmit wireless or bluetooth each file one at a time vs. setting up the connection and having it transfer every time you take a picture.

Also would you have to use JPEG and not for RAW.. I shoot only RAW.

I have always wanted to capture location information using Nikon but never spent the money on an accessory.

In summary, for the new a7rIII;

Is PlayMemories Mobile app available?
Is the transfer automatic after each shot (after connection is established)?
Is this the way (via PlayMemories) location information is captured?
What do you recommend (3rd party solutions) to capture location data?

Thank you.

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:26 AM
kohann

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

I believe it is similar than A9.
http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1650/v1/en/index.html

Nov 10, 2017 at 09:46 AM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

kohann wrote:
I believe it is similar than A9.
http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1650/v1/en/index.html

Thank you.. It states RAW converted to JPEG so if you want to send a quick photo to someone this should work fine. Getting location information to the RAW file for future transfer to Lightroom, not.

Nov 10, 2017 at 09:53 AM
mikesul
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

The Playmemories app transfers the location information to the EXIF file of the photo (both raw and jpg) with every shot. There is no delay and it works very smoothly. You have to establish a connection between the phone and camera over Bluetooth. Once that is set up it works very well. I have been using it with the A6500 for a year and with the A9 and Rx10iv. Just follow the instructions in the manual. Some people seem to have trouble setting up the Bluetooth connections but it has worked fine for me with Samsung Android phones.

Nov 10, 2017 at 09:09 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

mikesul wrote:
The Playmemories app transfers the location information to the EXIF file of the photo (both raw and jpg) with every shot. There is no delay and it works very smoothly. You have to establish a connection between the phone and camera over Bluetooth. Once that is set up it works very well. I have been using it with the A6500 for a year and with the A9 and Rx10iv. Just follow the instructions in the manual. Some people seem to have trouble setting up the Bluetooth connections but it has worked fine for me with Samsung Android phones.

Perfect --- Exactly what I hoped for... Thanks for letting me know.

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:33 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

mikesul wrote:

Did you experience a noticeable drain in battery power when using this feature?

Nov 11, 2017 at 03:07 PM
Gregger
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

I was pretty sure that Playmemories was dropped from the A7RIII... no?

Nov 11, 2017 at 07:44 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

Gregger wrote:
I was pretty sure that Playmemories was dropped from the A7RIII... no?

GPS and camera control (previous Smart remote app) are now part of the main firmware.
GPS communicates through bluetooth and Camera control from your smart device works with WiFi.

Nov 11, 2017 at 07:50 PM
mikesul
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

Fred Miranda wrote:
Did you experience a noticeable drain in battery power when using this feature?

No I have not, even with the RX10iv. Although the A9 and RX10iv are too new to be sure I have not noticed any difference with the A6500 over the past year of use. I believe bluetooth is not a big user of power. In any case, the value of the GPS data would far out weigh any energy loss. My main use with GPS is frequent hikes of 2 to 4 hours.or more usually taking a couple of hundred photos each time. It is important to me to have accurate records of the sites I photograph so I really value this feature. I used GPS with Pentax cameras for years without any battery issues.

Nov 11, 2017 at 09:38 PM
garyrn
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

i found gps tracking on my canon 7d too battery killing, so when i went to sony i picked up a gps datalogger called the bad elf, it's around $200, has a free app that bluetooths seamlessly with an i phone or iPad, allows me to download the gpx file to my iPad mini, which is always along on every trip since i have all my owners manuals on there as a traveling resource, when i am back home i use airdrop to send the gpx files one at a time to my MacBook, and in lightroom i use a jfreidl geoencoding plug in to tag the photos. i used a cheaper amod 3080 datalogger for several years, but it is no longer available, and i find the bad elf both better made, more durable, and it seems more accurate down to within 3 feet or so many times

Nov 12, 2017 at 04:31 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GPS-Location Data to EXIF a7rIII

Have been using an I-gotu as a small relatively hassle free geotagger. Much cheaper than most and very configurable. Can set the interval for tagging to prolong battery life and and a power saving mode that can delay first acquisition after waking up. It is somewhat less accurate than a friend's garmin but usually good and enough and quite tiny--nicely weather resistant and have used on my hat in downpours w/o a problem. Memory is big enough for 70 hrs of data (small unit) w/o downloading acquiring a location every minute.
Rather quirky way to tag the photos as must compose a "trip" to tag the jpegs or even export the gpx files. Use geosetter to tag the matching raw files.

Nov 13, 2017 at 07:08 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.