New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

hulk2006
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

I'm going to Iceland next week and bringing my Nikon F100 along with Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D and Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 24mm f/2.8D lenses.

I'm also bringing the following films:

Kodak Ektar 100 Professional ISO 100
Kodak Tri-X 400TX Professional ISO 400

But I can't make up my mind if I should bring Kodak Portra 160 or 400.

I've used both film speeds above but for the 160 you need a lot more light than 400. Should I just play it safe and go with 400? But on the other hand 100% of my shots will be outside.

Also, does anyone have any advice on maybe what other films I should bring?

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:00 PM
gdsf2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

What is this thing called film you keep mentioning?

If I were you I would bring both just in case. But I will never shoot film again, ever. Way too expensive.

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:12 PM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

You already have the slow coloured film covered with the Ektar, so take the Portra 400. And a tripod.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:53 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

If it were me Id be shooting landscapes on a tripod, so Velvia 50, and T-max 100. If you were shooting more around the city, then some 400 speed would be a good idea, maybe some Fuji 400h? I was always partial to Fujis line of films, not very familiar with the Kodak line.

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:07 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

Try the landscape forum, even if they are all digital someone can look at exif from their trip. May also be worth emailing bruce percy who shoots film and goes there.

I'd rent a high MP camera for such a trip for the quality.

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:15 PM
90 5.0
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

Mark_L wrote:
Try the landscape forum, even if they are all digital someone can look at exif from their trip. May also be worth emailing bruce percy who shoots film and goes there.

I'd rent a high MP camera for such a trip for the quality.

Youd need over 100 mp to match good quality film. Hes bringing film for the quality.

Back on topic.

Its gonna be bright a lot with the reflection of The Sun off the Ice bring some nd filters as wel

Id also bring a good quality b+w and some green and red filters too. They are small light and fairly cheep for the filters for those lenses and they both take the same ones.

I typically bring 100/200/400 ASA films when traveling for selection.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:52 PM
Desmolicious
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

90 5.0 wrote:
Youd need over 100 mp to match good quality film. Hes bringing film for the quality.

He's bringing a 35mm film camera, not a 4x5.

I primarily shoot film, and for resolution 35mm film does not even come close to a 24mp camera, if that's your raison d'etre. Things get much better when u move up to 120 film and larger.
Either way it does not matter to me as I shoot film for the look.

(I've made direct comparisons with my film and digital gear, back when I had too much time on my hands)

Nov 10, 2017 at 06:15 PM
gdsf2
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

90 5.0 wrote:

I dont think so. How would you get that resolution. Do you have a scanner with that level of output?

Nov 10, 2017 at 06:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

90 5.0 wrote:

Really? And what facts are you basing that on?

Nov 10, 2017 at 07:58 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

The only film I feel would have more data than my D850 is 4x5... and possibly 8x10. At ISO 50 and possibly 100 only. Anything over that and I have a hard time seeing how it could compare. I have shot 35mm and 6x6 film for 20 plus years and lived in a dark room for part of it 😬!

Film was passed [in my view] around the time the D800E was released. Just my 10 cents!

Enjoy the trip and share images when you return.

Imagemaster wrote:
Really? And what facts are you basing that on?

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:36 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

I remember a time when zooming in invloved a loop or racking a projector as high as it would go😂🤦🏼‍♂️😜

Desmolicious wrote:
He's bringing a 35mm film camera, not a 4x5.

I primarily shoot film, and for resolution 35mm film does not even come close to a 24mp camera, if that's your raison d'etre. Things get much better when u move up to 120 film and larger.
Either way it does not matter to me as I shoot film for the look.

(I've made direct comparisons with my film and digital gear, back when I had too much time on my hands)

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:38 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

It's the cloudy time of year. I'm assuming a tripod will be used. If so, I'd mostly bring Ektar 100 and the Tri-X. BUT, I'd also hedge my bet a little and bring some Portra 400. It's often windy, especially along the west coast. That means you need a fast shutter speed. My film choice (I shoot 4x5 mostly) would be Portra 160 and HP5. However, it's best to stick with film you know.

Kent in SD

Nov 11, 2017 at 01:10 AM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

Tripod + Velvia 50.

Nov 11, 2017 at 01:14 AM
falconbach
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

It's dark time of the year so not lot of sunlight. If there's snow on the ground you get some additional light but last years have been rather light on snow so I wouldn't depend on the snow to help you out.
At this time of year it is mostly cloudy but with few beautiful sunny days but the sun is only up for about 6 hours in next week when you arrive and gets shorter by the day.

Nov 12, 2017 at 04:17 PM
saph
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which Film Speed For Trip to Iceland?

If you do take a tripod, check out slow speed black and white, like Delta 100 or Ilford FP4+ 125 film. Velvia 50 definitely for colors, or even Velvia 100.

Nov 12, 2017 at 06:46 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password