New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

I'm starting to take portraits at work, this is the 2nd one

Lynn Ross
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I'm starting to take portraits at work, this is the 2nd one

I've been keeping an eye on the topics here on this Presentation board and have enjoyed the talented people that post here.

I'm in no way going to match anyone here.

But I just want to have fun and learn from you all. So would like comments and critiques if you would be so inspired.
Thanks

Lynn

Did B/W since the background colors were off due to white balance

NIKON D810    85.0 mm f/1.8 lens    85mm    f/3.2    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

The color one to show the imbalance of white balance.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:12 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I'm starting to take portraits at work, this is the 2nd one

Very nice, Lynn! To me, the color imbalance is not that bad. And it's a more interesting image in color for me.

By the way, if you can, post at 1,000 pixels on the long side so we can get a really good look at these.

Curious why you cropped the way you did. Is the poster in the background important to the image? If not, I'd just crop like a normal portrait.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:19 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I'm starting to take portraits at work, this is the 2nd one

Nice portrait, but I agree about the background.

Perhaps a lower POV would be better if you want the entire poster in the background.

the slight crooked-ness of the background image is distracting.

greg

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:18 AM
Lynn Ross
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I'm starting to take portraits at work, this is the 2nd one

friscoron wrote:
Very nice, Lynn! To me, the color imbalance is not that bad. And it's a more interesting image in color for me.

By the way, if you can, post at 1,000 pixels on the long side so we can get a really good look at these.

Curious why you cropped the way you did. Is the poster in the background important to the image? If not, I'd just crop like a normal portrait.

Thanks for your comment, the color was my fav also and I'll remember to post a 1000 Pixels next time.
The crop was because I didn't pay attention to where she was in my camera's frame and she ended up a bit to far to the right. I just liked her smile it's not a huge one just a nice one.

---------------------------------------------

gheller wrote:
Nice portrait, but I agree about the background.

Perhaps a lower POV would be better if you want the entire poster in the background.

the slight crooked-ness of the background image is distracting.

greg

Thanks for your comment also.

The poster wasn't the them of this, I work here and see so many posters it was just a background, and the crop is straight if you look at the other one on the right side it was one or the other but I see now that if I'd have squared up the main on the other could have been cropped out.

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I'm starting to take portraits at work, this is the 2nd one

Nice expression in these. You have some good critique already - nothing I can add.

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:34 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I'm starting to take portraits at work, this is the 2nd one

Competing white balances are a common problem but easily dealt with. If you shoot raw, you can process two versions, one for the subject and one for the bg then combine them in Ps. It's also easy enough to mask the person and treat the bg separately with a Curves adjustment layer to fix it. Either way it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to fix.

From a photographic standpoint, this might not be her best angle and you probably don't need so much headroom either.

Nov 11, 2017 at 08:11 AM
story_teller
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I'm starting to take portraits at work, this is the 2nd one

Hi Lynn, the only other thing I would mention is her posture. Her pose was fine, but it might have been stronger if she had straightened her spine and put her shoulders back a bit. I'm continually asking my subjects to sit up straight, shoulders back, etc. A good pose and portrait can be diminished by poor posture. I know there's a lot to remember, but after the first 1,000 or so it will become second nature! (lol)

Nice effort and keep'em coming!

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:41 PM
Lynn Ross
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I'm starting to take portraits at work, this is the 2nd one

Jim Rickards wrote:
Nice expression in these. You have some good critique already - nothing I can add.

Thanks

Peter Figen wrote:
Competing white balances are a common problem but easily dealt with. If you shoot raw, you can process two versions, one for the subject and one for the bg then combine them in Ps. It's also easy enough to mask the person and treat the bg separately with a Curves adjustment layer to fix it. Either way it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to fix.

From a photographic standpoint, this might not be her best angle and you probably don't need so much headroom either.

Yes, she was a stand in for my boss he didn't show up on time so she was my focusing person (so to say) gave me a nice smile and I didn't give much help to her about positioning since I was just focusing ...

story_teller wrote:
Hi Lynn, the only other thing I would mention is her posture. Her pose was fine, but it might have been stronger if she had straightened her spine and put her shoulders back a bit. I'm continually asking my subjects to sit up straight, shoulders back, etc. A good pose and portrait can be diminished by poor posture. I know there's a lot to remember, but after the first 1,000 or so it will become second nature! (lol)

Nice effort and keep'em coming!

Thanks a lot Story teller

Nov 12, 2017 at 03:12 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password