New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

15th birthday

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 15th birthday

Like your critique on this.My granddaughter and daughter at the Olive Garden for her 15th birthday. I purchased portrait pro and used it, so maybe look and see if I overdid things.

Canon EOS M    EF-M22mm f/2 STM lens    22mm    f/2.0    1/100s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:00 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 15th birthday

The pleasure of the moment and their affection is well-captured.
The leaning in pose is awkward, feels too posed and snuggling closer but with more symmetry might be better.
Some weird color stuff going on. I am no lighting guy, so I can't tell you why or how to fix, but what I see:
Bluish coloration coming up from denim jacket onto the next should be color corrected
A bit of mottled look and shift in skin tones right shortsleeve arm.
A bit more shadow/definition along the top of the head on the left might be worth reducing with blending back of skin tones from the more illuminated area

Scott

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:00 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 15th birthday

Very mixed lighting always makes getting color please a difficult chore.

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:12 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 15th birthday

which raises the question:
Black and White?
Not my first choice for such a warm scene, but it does work around some of the lighting issues.

Scott

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:37 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 15th birthday

Wow, I never saw the blue cast, how could I have missed it? Thanks for showing me, I am pretty sure I can fix it. I wonder if it's in the PSD file before i ran it thru Portrait Pro?

Very nice B&W conversion.

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:42 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 15th birthday

Is the better: It was in the raw already

Canon EOS M    EF-M22mm f/2 STM lens    22mm    f/2.0    1/100s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 15th birthday

ben egbert wrote:

Hope you don't mind me adjusting with a slight tilt right and a tighter crop.

I bought Portrait Pro myself last Spring and I think it's an excellent tool when used judiciously, as you did here.

Your granddaughter's expression is very natural and becoming as opposed to your daughter who in the split second that you shot her seems to be posing in a slightly odd way with her mouth open, perhaps mugging a little. But as a loving memory this works well and I wouldn't worry about anything else.

Steve

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:21 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 15th birthday

Thanks Steve. Which version did you get? I got the entry level which will not work as a plug in. I wanted to see if I liked it well enough to move up.

I like your crop. The shot was spontaneous and with ambient light, no flash. I had to take what I could get, but I really liked it, ham and all.

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:30 PM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 15th birthday

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks Steve. Which version did you get? I got the entry level which will not work as a plug in. I wanted to see if I liked it well enough to move up.

I like your crop. The shot was spontaneous and with ambient light, no flash. I had to take what I could get, but I really liked it, ham and all.

Hey Ben, I got the entry level too. And like you, best to use it sparingly. I get some pretty varied reactions from clients when I use it. Recently, a young lady whose portrait I took thought the result made her look too much like a model, and preferred the original version without Portrait Pro. On the other hand, it seems that many older clients like the Portratit Pro results that in their eyes make them look younger.

Steve

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:42 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 15th birthday

ben egbert wrote:

Yes, to my untrained eyes, your edit looks much better. Although I didn't catch it until I read Scott's excellent reply and looked back at it.

I like Steve's crop and rotation suggestion as well.

Dave

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 15th birthday

eeneryma wrote:
Hey Ben, I got the entry level too. And like you, best to use it sparingly. I get some pretty varied reactions from clients when I use it. Recently, a young lady whose portrait I took thought the result made her look too much like a model, and preferred the original version without Portrait Pro. On the other hand, it seems that many older clients like the Portratit Pro results that in their eyes make them look younger.

Steve

I have worked with it a bit, I don't like that I have to save a jpg to work, I would rather keep my editing at 16bit. I may opt for the upgrade. I want to get my granddaughters and daughters reaction first, they are my prime subjects along with one or two other family members.

Nov 10, 2017 at 06:23 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 15th birthday

Here is one started from scratch with the color cast removed in raw. I learned some more about portrait pro and added some subtle changes to the eyes, skin color and shadows. Like to see how I am doing here. I also included Steve's crop suggestion.

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:52 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password