New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Rx1r2 as my only camera?

TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

I was a long time Sony shooter going back to their DSLRs and DSLTs. A year and a half ago, I switched and sold my considerable Sony amd Minolta setup and bought into Fuji. It was quite good
I really enjoy Fuji. However, I find that I am not nearly as activate as I used to be as far as going out to shoot. Since my knee replacements, I just haven't had the drive I had before. Which means, that when I do go out, I find I am shooting with my XT2 and 23/1.4 and that is it.

Also, I had had an RX1, which I loved. Great little image maker. It was special, until the light got dim. But now with the RX1R2 and it's BSI sensor, an RX1R2 is very tempting. It would give me the low light performance I want, and I. Crop mode, give me a 50mm option.

My current lens lineup is the Rok 12/2, Fuji 23/1.4, 56/1.2, and the 18-135mm. I could sell them all and get the RX1R2 easily enough.

For those who use the RX1R2, is it all the camera you need? Is the dust ingress issue any better? Do you find you need more?

My one major hesitation is that the value will eventually plummet. But at 42mp, it will take some time.

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:02 PM
johnvanr
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

I just sold mine. I wasnít using it much, but curiously enough I also didnít like it as much as version 1. Now, rationally that doesnít make any sense since itís a vastly better and faster camera. I guess I just didnít like that pop-up viewfinder, which looks cool but is often an extra step before taking the shot, at least for me and my aversion of LCDs. Awesome sensor and lens, though.

Edited on Nov 10, 2017 at 12:31 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2017 at 08:44 PM
Lucinda
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

I loved the original RX1, so I had to get the RX1R II, and at first I found the files soft, and not as much pop as the original. Then as I kept editing (also with my A7R II) I started learning how to get the most out of the 42mp sensor. I can say the RX1R II is a great upgrade, it isn't as slow as the RX1, it will focus faster and better in lowlight. The 42mp sensor has astonishing resolution. I could live with just a 35mm camera such as the RX1R II, it could be my everyday shooter, however I don't have to so I have many bodies and lenses. The RX1R II is special, just like the original, I love mine and will probably buy another if Sony ever updates it again. The worst thing I can say is it sucks batteries, so I always have spares ready to go.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:46 AM
Lucinda
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

This little powerhouse has that special sauce, and just renders sweet. My eyes didn't see it at first, but now, I am head or heels with this magical sensor.

DSC-RX1RM2    35mm    f/2.0    1/2000s    64 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:53 AM
realVivek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

Yes, it is doable. There are no dust issues, AFAIK.

In my case, i bought the camera at its debut at Ä3499. The price went up to Ä4299 shortly after that!

TheEmrys wrote:
For those who use the RX1R2, is it all the camera you need? Is the dust ingress issue any better? Do you find you need more?

My one major hesitation is that the value will eventually plummet. But at 42mp, it will take some time.

Nov 10, 2017 at 11:32 AM
DaveFP
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

I would have no problem enjoying photography with just an RX1 as my sole FF camera.

I would pair it with a RX100 V.

I do prefer the EVF of the first model and the sensor of the second.

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:42 PM
ricmsm

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

I got my RX1R II and sold all my other photo material ( A7RII + 35/55 and 85)

Does the RX1RII covers my needs ? 100% yes , I don't miss the old setup and find that with 1 extra battery I have a device that stands a full day of photo shooting when travelling.

Big plus, the small compact size makes that wherever I go I take it with me without even noticing that I carry it.

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:15 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

I'm looking to rent one for my trip to WDW and believe that it'll fit 95% of my needs. I used to have the original and rented the Mark II for a week, and found that having the compact body allowed me to shoot even more. I'm sure I'm not the only one that suffers from analysis paralysis when it comes to shooting. I'll pack way too much gear like a body or two, a standard zoom, a wide zoom, a 35/50/85, etc, and go out to shoot and spend more time thinking of which lens to use, switch lenses, get the evil eye from the wife and the kids while they yell "Daddy let's go!". Then of course I'd go home, load up the files and say "I should've used the 85 this time". Being able to go out with one camera, one lens, and live with the results is liberating.

Of course having just a 35 you'll miss out. There's going to be times when you want a 50/85 or even a 70-200. Or you'll want to go wide like a 14/21. They'll be times when you want IBIS. But for most use cases it should be fine and being able to carry it all in a small package, either using a wrist strap, or a small bag can't be understated. If you could find one for a decent price used (I see them at $2,100-2,300 now) it'll still hold it's value. My only concern is that it's coming up on 2 years now and if they drop a curved sensor with say a 1.4/1.8 lens or add some additional goodies like a joystick or some of the features of the a9/a7rIII it'll be nice to have.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:36 PM
nana kofi

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

I am currently on a 11 day assignment in Mali, and the only camera I brought is my RX1RII. It is enough, even for paid assignments, if you know how to maximize the 35mm view, and that macro feature. I carry a CP, ND filter and one of those really
tiny tripods that by manfrotto.

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:51 PM
mikesul
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

The RX1RII is not my only camera but I frequently take only it along and am never disappointed. I know some people have had dust issues but I use mine hiking in Arizona and Utah deserts and have not found any dust ingress. it is a a magic camera with that 35mm lens combined with the 42meg sensor. i love it.

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

patotts
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

The RX1RII is rather long in the tooth IMO. It was announced in Oct 2015 and released in Nov 2015. Sensors might have not been drastically improved since then but AF system speed and accuracy, Sony's battery technology and menu design, as well as EVF, have all been improved substantially to warrant an upgrade of the RX1RII.

I love keeping it simply and I would love an updated RX1 as a travel/life companion, especially since I'm not a big fan of the Sony 35/2.8 lens (technically very fine but not very interesting, I'd love a FE 35/1.7-2.0 one) on my A7xxx/A9.

Nov 11, 2017 at 06:42 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

patotts wrote:
The RX1RII is rather long in the tooth IMO. It was announced in Oct 2015 and released in Nov 2015. Sensors might have not been drastically improved since then but AF system speed and accuracy, Sony's battery technology and menu design, as well as EVF, have all been improved substantially to warrant an upgrade of the RX1RII.

I love keeping it simply and I would love an updated RX1 as a travel/life companion, especially since I'm not a big fan of the Sony 35/2.8 lens (technically very fine but not very interesting, I'd love a FE 35/1.7-2.0 one) on my
...Show more

I don't doubt that there's new technology to be had, especially if that mythical curved sensor could make its way into it, but I don't see the RX1R II as being that ancient. Even the a7rIII uses the same 399 point PDAF AF system, just with more CDAF points. The a9 has the 693 points, which I would like in an Mark III. They won't be able to fit the a9 battery in the small body, menus design is hit or miss. The new evf in the a9 and the a7rIII would be nice, though not sure they'd be able to make it work in the small pop up. A redesigned body with curved sensor, 1.8 or faster lens, corner EVF like the a6xxx body, af joystick, touch screen, dual cards, 4K, and IBIS would be a hit, but not sure it could work In the compact body. Fit all that and I'd pay $4k for one.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:33 AM
mudlake
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

I would love to buy one of the excellent fixed lens cameras from Sony, Fuji, or Leica. The thing that holds me back is the very thing that makes them special - the fixed lens. Lenses by themselves last a loooooooooong time. Digital cameras don't (having said that I still have the Canon 10D I bought in 2003 and it still works, so maybe my premise is wrong). I guess I would be afraid of spending so much on a camera/lens combo where if the camera died, the lens is worthless. Hope I'm not raining on anyone's parade, it's just what's holding me back.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:57 AM
DaveFP
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

mudlake wrote:
I would love to buy one of the excellent fixed lens cameras from Sony, Fuji, or Leica. The thing that holds me back is the very thing that makes them special - the fixed lens. Lenses by themselves last a loooooooooong time. Digital cameras don't (having said that I still have the Canon 10D I bought in 2003 and it still works, so maybe my premise is wrong). I guess I would be afraid of spending so much on a camera/lens combo where if the camera died, the lens is worthless. Hope I'm not raining on anyone's parade, it's just
...Show more

I can tell you that I have gotten so many great shots from my RX1 (I) that if it crapped out tomorrow I would have no regrets.

I have taken it on hundreds of outings that I would not have taken another FF camera.

Of course I bought the thing in 2012 when my other option was my 5D3.

Today it is a bit harder to justify. If Zeiss made a nice 35/2 Batis it would be game over for the RX1 series.

The possibility of which I would consider before buying another.

Nov 12, 2017 at 03:42 AM
ebookman
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

I keep asking the same questions. Could I be satisfied with an RX1 as my only camera? I have a lot of camera bodies and lenses but the camera I love is my old original RX!. Some day if Sony comes out with a new model I might just sell off everything and do it.

Nov 12, 2017 at 05:23 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

Some people can own an interchangeable lens camera and have just one focal length for it, or even if they own plenty more lens, end up using only one focal length 95% of the time.

Other people own an interchangeable lens camera and have lots of lenses, constantly changing glass through a shoot because they need/want different focal lengths.

Some people need/want different focal lengths so often they carry a 2nd and 3rd camera body just so they don't have to be slowed down by changing lenses.

Where in this spectrum a given photographer falls is totally variable.... so can a RX1 work as an only camera, for some people, "yes". For other people "no".

Nov 12, 2017 at 05:10 PM
The Hexagonal

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

TheEmrys wrote:
I was a long time Sony shooter going back to their DSLRs and DSLTs. A year and a half ago, I switched and sold my considerable Sony amd Minolta setup and bought into Fuji. It was quite good
I really enjoy Fuji. However, I find that I am not nearly as activate as I used to be as far as going out to shoot. Since my knee replacements, I just haven't had the drive I had before. Which means, that when I do go out, I find I am shooting with my XT2 and 23/1.4 and that is it.

Also,
...Show more

I have used the RX1 (mark I and now II) as my only camera for work since 2013. I have not missed using other cameras bar the fact that the AF of the mark I was not ideal in low light. With the mark II, however, most of that has been improved markedly to the point where it performs really, really, really well. With the Mark II you get a ~50mm 21mp image still when you crop the generous 42mp 35mm point of view.

Carry a few batteries with you and your are sorted for battery life issues. You have grips and cases to improve grip if you wish to. I am perfectly fine with the original Sony case (bought second hand because Sony's pricing for it is very high, although it is the best case you can get for the RX1RII) and a 3rd party hood.

There is no other lens like the lens in the RX1 and once you get on with it, you see your photos made with it, you will find it very hard to use other lenses.

Nov 12, 2017 at 09:26 PM
chrisgibbs
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

It's my daily concealed carry, a very stealth little camera. Zero dust issues after a couple of years daily carry, paint rubbing off though, don't forget a good screen saver and protective filter, I use filters like lens caps, scratch them up, and toss them away (https://breakthrough.photography are the best I've seen).

Its one tough little workhorse of a camera, beautiful lens and as we know the sensor rocks!

My irks, it can be slow to fire up, I don't care for these little levers on the front for AF selection, they're fiddly, slow and do get bumped if you carry it like I do. The video button is a PITA, I deactivated mine so it only works in movie mode.

I carry 4 spare batteries in a little Mindshift GoPro 2 battery wallet, it also holds half a dozen cards and some business cards too. Here's the link for the mind shift wallet, it'll fit 4 RX1Rll batteries and live in a trouser pocket.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1153310-REG/mindshift_gear_500_gp_2_batteries.html

I wouldn't be without this little camera, and it compliments a A7Rll perfectly in sensor and image look!!!

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:20 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

Hi Tyler. I have had two iterations, the RX1 and RX1r which were superb. My only issue is that I am not a dedicated 35mm shooter. If I was it would be perfect! From your choice of the XT2 and 23/1.4 it sounds like the RX1rII would suit you perfectly and would be great workhorse

Our issue in Australia is the RX1rII is around 5.2K AUD so the Leica Q becomes another option at this price level. Of course you get the RX1rII used but I am cautious as you don't know the history. Since the lens is integrated this is not a simple repair as someone may have bumped or dropped the camera. I mention this as I have seen this.

Go for it

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:46 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rx1r2 as my only camera?

If you shoot 35mm a lot, then absolutely!

The original Mark I could be a real pain in the ass and the Mark II still has some issues (all due to Sony firmware being still bad).

The files and the rendering the 35/2 can produce is fantastic though and if I'm only carrying one camera this will be it.

I think a lot of people look away due to price and being a one camera/lens thing.

Nov 13, 2017 at 05:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password