Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

RETINA images on BLOG

Italo Campilii
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RETINA images on BLOG

Hi everyone,

As the quality of cameras increase and the MB to go with it, I'm having issues exporting the images from lightroom to our blog, and photoshop save for web feature to our blog.

I read an article online that if you want for example 800px on the width of the blog, you need to multiply the resolution 2x so that when exported at 1600px, the site automatically compresses the image to 800px and therefore the resolution looks perfect. The only issue is the weight.

We try to keep our images under 250kb each (thats already a lot!) and even then they are losing massive resolution and look pixelated. Can someone advice what you're doing thats working for you? I went through 3-4 articles online and none are really helping.

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:31 PM
loosetrucks
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RETINA images on BLOG

I used to try to optimize my images to be exactly the correct size that I want them to display, but because of the retina displays, I've just been doubling the resolution. As far as file size, I run them through JPEGmini after exporting at 100% qual and just turn a blind eye on how slow my site loads. If I can choose between sharp images vs faster site, I choose sharp images. While I understand bounce rate is a thing, I think most clients will be hiring your for your image quality and not your site speed optimization. But who knows.

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:40 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RETINA images on BLOG

Great topic I was playing with an iPhoneX last night thinking through all this in my mind. More questions than answers.

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:55 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RETINA images on BLOG

What is your blog CMS?

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:03 PM
Italo Campilii
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RETINA images on BLOG

Thanks guys! Let's figure this out please The main issue is having 20-40 blog post images at even 250kb makes for 5-10mb of weight PER POST which is quite insane.

Mark my blog is www.acromatico.com/blog and it is in Wordpress

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:39 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RETINA images on BLOG

I would argue that 250 kb per image is too large. A dozen as portfolio gallery means 3 MB, causing much delay in loading time.

We are already in the mobile era, half of the visitors are browsing through a smartphone so large resolution images are useless (barely 3 inch wide screen, browsing vertically).

There are plugins that will automatically load lower resolution files for mobile visitors. Essentially creating multiple copies of your original images.

In any case, if your page requires more than 3 seconds to load, seriously consider trimming things down to improve then user experience. That starts with highly compressed images, 50 kb per image sounds like it.

I know that will be difficult, but remember no one really pixel peep your work. Potential clients plow through the whole thing and make a decision on whether they wish to explore your work in depth or not.

My other suggestion is to have your images hosted on a CDN to further improve loading time.

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sold5

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RETINA images on BLOG

TheyCallMeJay - any particular CDN you recommend or are they all much the same?

Thanks

Nov 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RETINA images on BLOG

sold5,

Not all CDNs are the same. You get what you pay for in terms of support and performance.

For the wedding photographer's website that acts as their portfolio (like 95% of us), there's no need to splurge on a high end CDN provider. For cost effectiveness I can recommend looking into KeyCDN or MaxCDN as a start.

The fact that your images are being pushed via a CDN as opposed to your web host makes all the difference already.

Nearly all CDN providers offer free trial so you can measure and test the performance gain to see if it's worth it.

sold5 wrote:
TheyCallMeJay - any particular CDN you recommend or are they all much the same?

Thanks

Nov 10, 2017 at 01:46 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RETINA images on BLOG

I have been using WP Retina 2x by Jordy Meow to manage HiDPI stuff for a few years now. It has worked well. It does some dynamic serving stuff, if I recall correctly - it just works (once setup is complete), and although the blog posts are quite large, the internet is getting ever faster. I'd rather have my images impress than load quickly and look crap. Up to a point of course. If things are too slow, people will click away.

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:09 PM
tgillespie
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RETINA images on BLOG

You need to be using srcset which serves the appropriate sized image to whatever is needed by the device viewing the image. If you are serving 1600px images to an iPhone, you are chewing up bandwidth.

WP Retina does a decent job, but WordPress supports srcset by default now... it just depends if your theme supports it.

Nov 12, 2017 at 05:52 AM
eke2k6
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RETINA images on BLOG

jpegmini is a live saver

Nov 12, 2017 at 01:28 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password