Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

jswell

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

I was ready to buy the 8-18, but worry about losing stops of light. I've used my 9-18 in some of the environments I frequent and find that it's too slow and limiting in certain situations.

On the otherside, 8-18 has easy and economical use of filters. I only own a single 6stop ND and haven't used it much, but would like to delve into more into landscapes without losing use of it.

Does anyone who has switched from the Olympus 7-14 to the Panasonic 8-18 have any regrets about the change? What do you miss?

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:52 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

Its kind of an issue where you want/need f2.8 speed, even if it means its much harder to cut the light for long exposure, or, if you want a lens that can have the option to take a filter for long exposure.

Until someone makes a f2.8 zoom that can take filters (easily, technically if your willing to use huge square ND's you can make it work on the 7-14) you have to pick which is more important to you

Maybe add a 7.5mm f2.0 Lowoa wide prime to the 8-18 then youv'e got a stop faster prime than what the zoom gives you, and with the 8-18 you've got the ability to take filters, thus best of both worlds

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:42 AM
jswell

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

I've looked at the Lowoa, but not practical for my use. In all honesty, I just need to buy one or the other and get out shooting!

Nov 12, 2017 at 05:09 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

I had the Lumix 7-14 and Oly 7-14. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I now have the PL 8-18 and I am loving it. Surprisingly good sunstars at f16. I used it a lot on a recent trip to Yosemite National Park and the Eastern Sierras and Bodie Ghost Town:

http://yinyang.zenfolio.com/p687341537

http://yinyang.zenfolio.com/p1053780657

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:52 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

jswell wrote:
I've looked at the Lowoa, but not practical for my use. In all honesty, I just need to buy one or the other and get out shooting!

What are your uses that its not practical for ? Its smaller and lighter than any other option, its essentially as wide, if not wider, its at least a stop faster than any alternative, and its also less expensive than any other option.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:00 AM
CPWarner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

millsart wrote:
What are your uses that its not practical for ? Its smaller and lighter than any other option, its essentially as wide, if not wider, its at least a stop faster than any alternative, and its also less expensive than any other option.

I was going to ask the same question about Jswell's statement about the Laowa not being practical for his use. The Laowa 7.5 takes filters, which is difficult to find in lenses that wide and fast. On top of that it came with three filters when I bought mine. I used it this past summer in Glacier National Park and was really happy with it. With focus peeking on the EM1 mkII, it was easy to focus.

Nov 13, 2017 at 02:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jswell

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

My two biggest needs are weather resistance and zoom. I enjoy adventure sports and the gear is used frequently in wet, sand, dirt, snow, etc...many times it isn't practical to change a lens for more reach due to environmental conditions, nor is it possible zoom with my feet. The terrain dictates my position.

Nov 13, 2017 at 04:49 AM
jswell

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

bobbytan wrote:
I had the Lumix 7-14 and Oly 7-14. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I now have the PL 8-18 and I am loving it. Surprisingly good sunstars at f16. I used it a lot on a recent trip to Yosemite National Park and the Eastern Sierras and Bodie Ghost Town:

http://yinyang.zenfolio.com/p687341537

http://yinyang.zenfolio.com/p1053780657

Thanks for your input and galleries. Beautiful results.

Nov 13, 2017 at 05:12 PM
jack winberg

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

Bobbytan:

You are one HECK of a photographer, really nice, careful compositions! I will admit that this is the 1st I bothered to LOOK at your stuff, though I see your name often on this forum. Your images tell me that you enjoy image-making.

Jack Winberg

Nov 13, 2017 at 05:24 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

Thanks!

jswell wrote:
Thanks for your input and galleries. Beautiful results.

Nov 13, 2017 at 05:57 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

Thank you, Jack! That is one HECK of a compliment!

jack winberg wrote:
Bobbytan:

You are one HECK of a photographer, really nice, careful compositions! I will admit that this is the 1st I bothered to LOOK at your stuff, though I see your name often on this forum. Your images tell me that you enjoy image-making.

Jack Winberg

Nov 13, 2017 at 05:58 PM
jswell

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7-14 to the 8-18 regrets?

Finally did it.....8-18. My wife doesn't know, so if I'm not heard from after Friday come looking.

Thanks all for external debate

Nov 14, 2017 at 01:09 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password