New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

How does one choose?

goldmanaz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How does one choose?

So long time lurker and new to the Fuji ecosystem.
I live in Phoenix and have not found a place that has Fuji cameras for me to hold so I went to B&H last night as I was in NY for business.
I have been looking between the XT-2 and the X-Pro2 and the big difference is the rangefinder view vs the prism type viewfinder. I liked both but only spent a short amount of time playing with them.
I am coming from the Samsung NX-30 which is my current camera and not going to invest any more $$ in a dead system and Fuji has really been the only camera to excite me in a long time. I have the same experience that a lot of people have that used to shoot film, it brought me back to those days.

How did you decide if you were looking between the 2? Are there any other main differences between them besdies the video 4k vs HD (I am not a huge video guy).

Thanks in advance!

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:28 PM
apsphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How does one choose?

For me, the XT2 has a better grip and is easier to hold, it handles the larger lenses much better. I started with the XP1 and it was a nice camera, got it when it first came out, the OVF was nice but I ended up using the EVF a lot more. So for me the XT2 handles better the EVF is really nice, the ability to add the battery grip when I need it, the faster AF, etc. I find to be more useful for me and my shooting.

Rent them for a week each and see which is best for you, if you really want to see the difference. Handling them in the store is not the same has shooting with them. Lensrentals has the Fujis for rent.

Alan

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:37 PM
SiggiChurchill

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How does one choose?

I have an X-T1 and recently upgraded to an X-Pro2.

I chose the X-Pro2 over the XT-2 because I felt with the XT-1, the small size of the camera meant that my face was always getting in the way when I wanted to manipulate buttons on the camera's back while I had my eye to the viewfinder. It's not a problem with my physically larger Canon 5D, and on the XT-1, it frequently took me out of the moment, fumbling with the camera.

With it's viewfinder to the side, the X-Pro2 gives my thumb a lot more space and provides for me, a more fluid operating experience.

Nov 09, 2017 at 03:47 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How does one choose?

goldmanaz wrote:
So long time lurker and new to the Fuji ecosystem.
I live in Phoenix and have not found a place that has Fuji cameras for me to hold so I went to B&H last night as I was in NY for business.
I have been looking between the XT-2 and the X-Pro2 and the big difference is the rangefinder view vs the prism type viewfinder. I liked both but only spent a short amount of time playing with them.
I am coming from the Samsung NX-30 which is my current camera and not going to invest any more $$ in a dead
...Show more

If you plan to mostly use zoom lenses, you almost certainly would be better off with the XT2. While you can use zooms on the Xpro2 (I do at times), the optical viewfinder (OVF) isn't really designed for that, so you'll end up using the XPro2 electronic viewfinder (EVF) most or all of the time. In other words, the chief attraction of the XPro2 may not be that useful to you.

If you rely a lot on prime lenses of moderate focal lengths (not too long and not too short) and you like to work quickly in old school street photographer mode or similar (which I do a lot) then the XPro2 OVF has some advantages, including the fact that with many lenses (especially mildly wide to somewhat long) you can see outside of the image area and be aware of what is around you.

If you are still torn, I'd say get the XT2. I like to say that most folks who don't have a strong preference will likely be very happy with it since it creates a feeling more like the familiar DSLR cameras. The XPro2 is more of an acquired taste, in my view.

I use the XPro2.

Dan

Added later: I was reminded by a later post in this thread that the XT2 can do 4k video and the XPro2 cannot, at least at this time. If that is deal-breaker for you...

Edited on Nov 10, 2017 at 04:36 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:10 PM
Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How does one choose?

XPro2 and the XE3 both, I think, have better ergonomics because your nose isn't plastered against the screen and you can see out of your left eye at the same time. Of course if you are a left eye shooter I would call it a draw between the two although if you like to use the EVF, the XT2 has a much larger view.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:34 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How does one choose?

^^^
I agree with Dan. I lived with both for a week and frankly I'd love to own both.

The EVF of the X-T2 is better. I like the swiveling LCD and also the ability to install a vertical grip that gives longer battery life and a higher burst speed. I think the X-T2 is a better jack of all trades.

The X-Pro2, though, is a camera after my heart. I've been shooting with Leica rangefinders, especially the M3, since 1967. I felt right at home with the X-Pro2 and it would be my choice for street and travel, especially if my main lenses were the "Fujicroms" (23,35 and 50 f2 lenses).

I ended up buying the "baby" X-Pro2, the X-E3 and couldn't be happier. I bought it primarily for travel and I wanted the smallest kit possible. It has the same shooting style as the X-Pro2, the same sensor and processor, just without the things I don't really need like the hybrid viewfinder and the dual card slots.

Carefully consider your shooting style and interests, then choose which suits those needs better. You'll love either.

Nov 09, 2017 at 04:36 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How does one choose?

dmacmillan wrote:
The X-Pro2, though, is a camera after my heart. I've been shooting with Leica rangefinders, especially the M3, since 1967. I felt right at home with the X-Pro2 and it would be my choice for street and travel, especially if my main lenses were the "Fujicroms" (23,35 and 50 f2 lenses).

That's where I'm coming from with my particular use case. I started with the XE1 as my first x-trans camera and used it for similar purposes until I got the XPro2, which for me has become intuitive and almost effortless to use quickly and effectively. My main lenses on it actually are the 23mm (f/1.4, though the f/2's smaller size is appealing) and the 50mm f/1.4. I augment with the wonderful little 14mm f/2.8 and sometimes the 60mm f/2.4 macro. (The latter is optically excellent, but focuses a bit slowly and isn't a "true" macro.)

This past year I had an idea about using the smaller system for some of my backpacking adventures. (One idea, which has now been delayed by at least a year, is do to a slow, one-month photographic traverse of the John Muir Trail.) So I got an L-bracket (more on that if anyone is interested), grabbed my small travel tripod, and added the 16-55 f/2.8 and the 50-140 f/2.8. I used the system, with just the 16-55, on one trip this summer, and it worked quite well.

However, for anyone whose photography tends more toward that sort of thing... I'd recommend the XT2... or...

I ended up buying the "baby" X-Pro2, the X-E3 and couldn't be happier. I bought it primarily for travel and I wanted the smallest kit possible. It has the same shooting style as the X-Pro2, the same sensor and processor, just without the things I don't really need like the hybrid viewfinder and the dual card slots.

... to continue from above, your point leads me right to a recent realization that the zoom lenses would work great on the smaller and lighter XE3, which will produce image quality equal to that of the other two cameras. The only real downside for some might be that it has fewer physical controls on the outside of the body.

We are lucky to have three excellent 24MP choices! Or maybe not... ;-)

Dan

Edited on Nov 10, 2017 at 04:37 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:27 PM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How does one choose?

Too bad you couldn't have spent more time with each. For me it came down to ergonomics, and what I felt most comfortable with. Tried both and settled on the X-T2 because I was more comfortable with a somewhat DSLR style body, as opposed to the XPro rangefinder style.

Both are very capable bodies, so IMO, it might just come down to how either feels in your hands, and up to your eye.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

goldmanaz

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How does one choose?

Thanks all. Agreed that spending so little time with a tethered camera in a store is not the optimal experience for getting a real feel. I have considered renting them and am looking into the costs, since they are so new, they are the most expensive of course.

All great points above and I appreciate the input, some of my observations:
The XT-2 with the grip was surprisingly heavy (heavier than I expected, but the camera itself was about what I would have expected.
So several have mentioned that it depends on what you shoot and as I am rediscovering my love for photography and finally getting some time to get back in, I am not sure what the majority I will be shooting. For me, I've been doing a lot of family (mine) photography over the last 18 years and as such have been on autopilot for that long.
The Fuji system has been the first that has really ignited my long lost passion for shooting and am trying to think of all the places I would like to shoot. It's amazing how this camera really evokes a visceral response for me, I had to take out one of my old Nikon to realize that the controls where they make sense to me were what I had been looking for.
Sorry for the rant, I guess the only true way I will know is to go hands on. Thanks for all the advice and info.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:35 PM
DesertRhino
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How does one choose?

Tempe Camera is a Fuji retailer with a good stock of new and used gear in the Phoenix area (university/hardy). They also do rentals and might be cheaper than some online resources.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:52 PM
goldmanaz

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How does one choose?

Thanks @DesertRhino but I actually did check with them and all they had was the XT-1 and when I asked about the XT-2 they said there wasn’t enough interest in the system or camera and won’t carry it. I suppose I could go play with them but still need a chance to shoot them as well. Do you think I will get the general feel of the XT-2 by renting the older model?

Nov 10, 2017 at 03:27 AM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How does one choose?

goldmanaz wrote:
Thanks @DesertRhino@ but I actually did check with them and all they had was the XT-1 and when I asked about the XT-2 they said there wasn’t enough interest in the system or camera and won’t carry it. I suppose I could go play with them but still need a chance to shoot them as well. Do you think I will get the general feel of the XT-2 by renting the older model?

I have both - T1 and T2, and they are very close in feel, size, external controls. Where they differ most is in the menus, and the C-AF functions of the X-T2 that the T1 doesn't have. But if you are looking to see how it would feel in your hands, and how the external controls feel/work, then playing with the T1 would help a lot.

Nov 10, 2017 at 04:51 AM
darrellc
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How does one choose?

I had both for a year. Dan points out the key differences and rational reasons for picking the X-T2. Definitely the better all rounder. Yet I just always grabbed the X-Pro 2 when headed out the door unless I needed 4K video. I much preferred the x-Pro 2 handling and ergonomics (joystick and fn button placement fell into my hands much better than x-t2 though the x-t2 has some ergo advantages like drive selector etc.). But mostly because I liked the look of the x-pro 2. I think it is a gorgeous cam and I felt great using it, damn the poorer Evf and other disadvantages vs X-T2! Heart vs mind.

Nov 10, 2017 at 10:10 AM
dachshund

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How does one choose?

I tried an X-Pro1 briefly but it was clear that zoom lenses would block that viewfinder. I miss the OVF of DSLRs when I'm outdoors sometimes, so it might be useful then, but that's when I'm using zoom lenses and they'd block the view. So for me it all depends on the lenses you use. And after having a tilting LCD I wouldn't want a camera without it!

-Amy

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:10 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How does one choose?

dachshund wrote:
I tried an X-Pro1 briefly but it was clear that zoom lenses would block that viewfinder. I miss the OVF of DSLRs when I'm outdoors sometimes, so it might be useful then, but that's when I'm using zoom lenses and they'd block the view. So for me it all depends on the lenses you use. And after having a tilting LCD I wouldn't want a camera without it!

-Amy

The XPro models, in my view, aren't really designed for use (at least not primary us) with zooms. Not only do they block the OVF, but the OVF can't really handle their focal length ranges. For zoom users, the XT2 or XE3 (or equivalents) are likely to be better options.

On the other hand, if you like to primarily shoot with primes and the OVF but occasionally want to use a zoom it is nice to have the EVF capability.

Dan

Nov 10, 2017 at 08:14 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password