New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite & a7rIII

moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite & a7rIII

I am looking for the smallest bounce radio-TTL flash that I can start with and grow it. I have read threads and it seems this may be be best for my needs. I may purchase two to begin so I can use one for fill flash. These seem almost too good to be true (price, value, function).

I am ready to order one or two and wanted to check with people way more experience than I.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Godox Flashes and specifically the TT350S Mini Thinklite? Any issues? Any alternatives?

p.s. I am switching from Nikon and know nothing about the Sony system (2 weeks of reading and looking at all the outstanding photos).

Thank you.

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:07 AM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite & a7rIII

They work well, of course, limited power, but good recycle and great control features...I use one as on camera fill (bounced) and to control my off camera larger godox's like the ad200 and ad360...so I am getting lots of power off camera. Would not work in a large venue without off camera options.

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Slalom
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite & a7rIII

I suggest a TT350S on camera and at least a TT865S or XIR-N (receiver to trigger Nikon) so you have 4 AA batteries off camera, rather than 2.

No reason not going for better flashes as echelonphoto suggested.

I find I usually get by by upping the ISO and IBIS. But use flash indoors.

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:36 AM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite & a7rIII

Do you know if the TT350S or the TT865 provide a distance display. For example, Manual Mode, 1/1 power, 200 asa, 35mm f11 ---- 13 foot? Changing the power will change the distance display/calculation. I am having trouble finding this in any references.

Nov 15, 2017 at 06:48 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite & a7rIII

No distance display. I’ve got a TT350Sand a TT350O that I’ve never actually used on an Olympus but figured why not as they’re all cross compatible wirelessly. Also have two TT600S’ and have had the V860IIS and AD200 previously. None had distance measures.

Nov 15, 2017 at 08:47 PM
Henning
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite & a7rIII

After years of shooting with flashes and film cameras and using flash meters diligently, I find digital use amazingly simple. Occasionally automatic can work, but usually I take a couple of test shots on manual and adjust from there. It doesn't take much practice to get the hang of it and it can be pretty quick, and overall it's generally more reliable than automatic.

Nov 15, 2017 at 10:51 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite & a7rIII

That is what I was thinking, a couple test shots in manual to zero in. I have always done TTL and adjusted but want to give manual a try. And I decided the distance calculation was not a show stopper and ordered a couple TT350Ss. I know long term I will need something stronger but these will get me started.

Thanks for posting as it helps.

Nov 16, 2017 at 03:33 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite & a7rIII

If you're okay with AA batteries, look at the TT600's next. Their cheaper than the TT350's and integrate great. If you get into a lot of shooting, get the Li-On versions though. The batteries & recharge times are sweet.

Nov 16, 2017 at 04:11 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite & a7rIII

Mathieu18 wrote:
If you're okay with AA batteries, look at the TT600's next. Their cheaper than the TT350's and integrate great. If you get into a lot of shooting, get the Li-On versions though. The batteries & recharge times are sweet.

Man, I was going for the TT685s or as you said the V860IIS. I actually prefer the AA's as I have rechargeable envelop pro which have been great as I do not need the extra short recharge time.

Why are the TT600's so low? vs. TT685s which are not really bad. I assume just older model. I can compare the specs when I am ready. I would have missed this so I really appreciate it. I want light, light, so I would have still gone for a couple TT350's.

B&H is so good, I received them today... menu is easy... I do not have a camera yet but everything worked... except, Question >>>> when I tested the Master and turned off its flash, it still flashed. The slave flashed as desired but the Master did flash also. I assume it was just because I was using the test button vs. on camera.

Nov 17, 2017 at 06:58 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Godox TT350S Mini Thinklite & a7rIII

Honestly not really sure about 600 vs 685. Just that the 600’s have worked for me. Might be about TTL? I use manual almost exclusively anyway.

Probably a settings issue. You have to hit the Group button to cycle through the remote groups. I think it shouldn’t flash but I’ll have to test and my flashes are currently on loan. When one is in master mode you hit Group to cycle through groups A, B, C and M(aster). Try cycling to Master, change Mode to off, the cycle to whatever group and try the power?

moosehead222 wrote:
Man, I was going for the TT685s or as you said the V860IIS. I actually prefer the AA's as I have rechargeable envelop pro which have been great as I do not need the extra short recharge time.

Why are the TT600's so low? vs. TT685s which are not really bad. I assume just older model. I can compare the specs when I am ready. I would have missed this so I really appreciate it. I want light, light, so I would have still gone for a couple TT350's.

B&H is so good, I received them today... menu is easy... I
...Show more

Nov 17, 2017 at 08:56 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.