New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

LR Catalog - One big one still okay?

dclark
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · LR Catalog - One big one still okay?

cruscher wrote:
I bit off topic...

Dave (dclark) how to you store your photos?

Sorry to be tardy responding. I did not see your question earlier.

The LR catalog and previews are on an NVME SSD. I store current active files on a second SSD, and a high speed SATA drive for somewhat less active files (e.g. last year), and finally a set of USB 3 drives for the more archival files. I keep 3 copies of everything. I have a set of USB drives for a second copy of everything, and another set of USB drives with a copy of everything that I store off-site. I have done this for many years but I have never had to recover a single file from backup copies. Regardless I will continue to have three deep file storage.

My storage approach seems to be similar to what John Caldwell describes. I am not familiar with Super Duper. I use a program called Second Copy to keep my backups in sync.

Dave

Nov 29, 2017 at 03:11 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · LR Catalog - One big one still okay?

One catalog is the best option unless you have some special situation. Multiple catalogs undermines the database functionality of LR. If you have no need to ever go back to old images, you could use multiple ones but I do not see an advantage.

An example where you could consider multiple catalogs is perhaps a wedding/event photographer. Once the job is done, I think it is unusual for them to ever look at them again.

Nov 29, 2017 at 08:57 PM
cruscher
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · LR Catalog - One big one still okay?

Thanks Dclark for the response. I basically have your same system on portable drives. Pushing 6TB and needing to buy new drives soon. Therefore...

After looking at many options I have choose to go with a Western Digital 20TB My Book Duo which with a raid 1 will give me 10 TB should have enough room for a while, although stitching 36mp images makes for big files.

I will use my 2tb portable drives as the off-site backup.

Dec 01, 2017 at 06:14 PM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password