FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Which System? Need some advice

Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which System? Need some advice

DrShouter wrote:
I do a lot of Landscape work in the mountains when I am out climbing/mountaineering/ski touring (I carry only the WA). For that i need a Lens with a focal length between 20-24mm (4mm more or less is not very important for my work)

Landscapes? The Nikon 24mm PC-E, of course. The lens movements makes it the lens of choice. You can even use the side shift to make perfect mountain panos. Sony does not have these specialty lenses. That alone would cause me to rule them out. I would also go with the Nikon 70-200mm f4 VR lens as it is much lighter and more compact for mountain hiking. Image quality is excellent.

Kent in SD

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:10 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which System? Need some advice

lawa222 wrote:
I'd second opinions on Nikon 20/1.8 - it's great.

I too own this lens and find it very good, especially for its weight. However, I don't normally carry it on mountain hikes. I take something even wider--the Nikon 24mm PC-E. It makes perfect stitch panos! I mostly use the 20mm f1.8G for astro work, where it does very well. I'm strongly considering replacing it with the new Sigma 14mm f1.8 though. Once again, Nikon's strength lies in the tremendous choice of lenses, and its flash system.

Kent in SD

Nov 10, 2017 at 02:16 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which System? Need some advice

DrShouter wrote:
Weight is critical, but today i tried the A7II with the 24-240mm lens (the image quality is not that bad, i was really surprised) from my father and it was really really really awful to hold the combo, very front heavy (and the lens is "only" 800g). So the question is, if i really want to carry at least +400g/600g/1000g more (D850 + Nikon 24mm 1.8/Zeiss 21mm/Zeiss 25mm) or take the A7R III with the Loxia 21mm for around 1000g in total. On the other side, i climbed and hiked 600km trough the patagonian wilderness with the 5D + 24-70mm
...Show more

If you can keep the lens numbers down, I think the Nikon system is very back-packable. I took a lot more than what you're describing on a 7-day trek into the Yukon a few years ago (D800-based system), and while the pack weight was heavy (70lbs total), I could still manage. Still, the more weight you can carve out the better. In your situation, I would probably have taken the D850 with the 14-24f/2.8G and the 70-300 VR, an excellent, reasonably priced, and highly underrated lens for shooting long-lens landscapes. Stopped down it gives you great performance.

I can't argue against the appeal of the A7R III with the Leica WATE though. The only problem with that combo is that the WATE is an f/4 that is unsuitable for night photography, but you could always supplement it with a Leica 21mm f/2.8 or a CV 21mm f/1.8 Ultron. That kit would be a lot smaller and lighter than a Nikon setup.

Nov 10, 2017 at 05:41 PM
DrShouter

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Which System? Need some advice

I pulled the trigger today and I am broke now
Nikon D850
Nikon 105mm f1.4 E
Zeiss Milvus 25mm f1.4

I could test the A7R III @ photo + adventure in vienna, very nice feel, build quality is way better than the A7R II. Sony had the 85mm f1.4 GM mounted and I dropped almost the cam, because it was so frong heavy.... With the grip it was very nice.

But the nicest thing i tried out at the show was the Hasselblad X1D, the cam is absolutly amazing but costs around 11.000

Nov 11, 2017 at 01:20 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Which System? Need some advice

@DrShouter
Congratulations with your purchase.

Nov 11, 2017 at 02:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Which System? Need some advice

Well, you're not going to go wrong with the D850 and the 105 f/1.4E. No one makes a lens like that one.

Nov 12, 2017 at 08:32 AM
IronFilm

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Which System? Need some advice

nikonos6 wrote:
Owning Nikon system for a long time I also consider moving to sony just for the same reasons you mentioned +the better video usability.

Well you've stuck with Nikon long enough now, that they've finally caught up again in the video world! (well, at least caught up with Canon! :-P Ha. Even passed them by a nose! Still behind Panasonic however)

Nov 14, 2017 at 02:44 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Which System? Need some advice

IronFilm wrote:
Well you've stuck with Nikon long enough now, that they've finally caught up again in the video world! (well, at least caught up with Canon! :-P Ha. Even passed them by a nose! Still behind Panasonic however)

Caught up with Canon sure, but as you say, they're far from the best. I don't think they'll be able to take the lead on video until they release a mirrorless system. If video is your priority, I think Sony is the place to go right now.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:27 AM
bs kite
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Which System? Need some advice

Won't any WA lens work for stitch panos?

Would you mind saying, what program do you recommend for stitch panos?

Thank you.

I was looking at what that 24 PC-E does. That is an exciting lens!

Two23 wrote:
I too own this lens and find it very good, especially for its weight. However, I don't normally carry it on mountain hikes. I take something even wider--the Nikon 24mm PC-E. It makes perfect stitch panos! I mostly use the 20mm f1.8G for astro work, where it does very well. I'm strongly considering replacing it with the new Sigma 14mm f1.8 though. Once again, Nikon's strength lies in the tremendous choice of lenses, and its flash system.

Kent in SD

Nov 14, 2017 at 01:12 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password