FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · C&C: Long Exposure Newbie

Ming-Tzu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C&C: Long Exposure Newbie

Snapped in the Lake Como area of Italy about a month ago, with a 6-stop ND filter and CPL. Not sure if the CPL was needed but wanted to test it out. Also, I'm aware the composition isn't the best but it's what I had, given the location. Would like C&C about my long exposure technique, PP, etc.

Thanks!

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:58 AM
Orphoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C&C: Long Exposure Newbie

Ming. If you are wanting to remove surface sheen or reflections using a C Pol at the same time as a solid ND makes sense. Set the polarizer in place, note the position of markings and then just add the ND on top of it. White balance feels somewhat yellow to me, easily correctable in PP. Most of the ND filters introduce an extra color cast, sometimes not easily offset later. Try taking a usual image with just the polarizer which you can use later for color matching. This image worked well with the extended 8s exposure. You might consider a subtle vignette to help us focus on the water and less on the vegetation.

Nov 23, 2017 at 05:03 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C&C: Long Exposure Newbie

Orphoto wrote:
Ming. If you are wanting to remove surface sheen or reflections using a C Pol at the same time as a solid ND makes sense. Set the polarizer in place, note the position of markings and then just add the ND on top of it. White balance feels somewhat yellow to me, easily correctable in PP. Most of the ND filters introduce an extra color cast, sometimes not easily offset later. Try taking a usual image with just the polarizer which you can use later for color matching. This image worked well with the extended 8s exposure. You might consider
...Show more

Thanks for the response! Yeah, the WB is a bit yellow-ish because I added that in PP. Without it, picture looks a bit too blue-ish for my tastes. Maybe I need to scale back on the yellow a bit.

Nov 24, 2017 at 03:03 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.