New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

a7r3 and playmemories apps?

tntcorp
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

why apps function was dropped for this camera?

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:33 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

Sony representatives have claimed it is because these are professional cameras and professionals don't want "apps" on their cameras...

Personally I don't buy it, if the mere existence of Playmemories was deterring buyers then they could play it down in the marketing, or have the option to disable it. However I would say on balance it's the opposite and the lack of Playmemories is deterring buyers.

It seems more likely that they had problems porting it to the A9/A7III, or they are trying to phase it out altogether.

Nov 09, 2017 at 10:30 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

I have a sneaky suspicion that they are coming out with apps for your mobile device to use via Bluetooth

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:18 AM
tn1krr
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

Matt Grum wrote:
Sony representatives have claimed it is because these are professional cameras and professionals don't want "apps" on their cameras...

Personally I don't buy it, if the mere existence of Playmemories was deterring buyers then they could play it down in the marketing, or have the option to disable it. However I would say on balance it's the opposite and the lack of Playmemories is deterring buyers.

It seems more likely that they had problems porting it to the A9/A7III, or they are trying to phase it out altogether.

I agree. Given from what we know of Android system (info is available due to work by Openmemories project) that was used to run the apps, it was using rather ancient build (Android 4.1, this is vintage 2012 stuff) even in recent firmwares. I think they wanted to drop the Android subsystem totally to clean up the FW; maybe they are pure Linux now.

In a more detailed look Sony has actually dropped other stuff (in addition to apps and panorama) from A7RIII that were in A7RII: at least Auto Obj. Framing is gone. Kind of toyish features that one would use Android subsystem for.

To me it also looks that the FW development is getting quicker/smoother. We have gone from A9 "why is all of xyz missing" to A7RIII in 6 months and A7RIII has pretty big pile of features/refinements that A9 lacks.

I'm hoping we'll get the best apps functionality back, namely the Smooth Reflection, in simplified and integrated form in main FW.

Nov 09, 2017 at 11:28 AM
Slalom
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

Sad but it seems we will never get an app which sets the length and aperture and name of a no exif lens.

If this interfaced with IBIS and exif it would save a lot of note taming/ confusion afterwards

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:25 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

GMPhotography wrote:
I have a sneaky suspicion that they are coming out with apps for your mobile device to use via Bluetooth

And wouldn't this be a hoot, if those apps were necessary on a Sony Xperia !!
Maybe not a bad thing. Sony phones are always top rated and I've always wanted one BUT generally
they suck on Verizon.

Nov 09, 2017 at 12:44 PM
rhawidantas

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

I wish they would just bake the functionality into the camera FW. I will miss the Smooth Reflection quite a lot and also the touchless shutter but never understood why both were not fully integrated into the camera.

Nov 09, 2017 at 02:08 PM
tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

smooth reflection and remote shutter release are the more useful apps for me.. imho, sony's mentality has not changed. be innovative but without concerns for long term users'loyalty.

i certainly hope my opinion is proven wrong, and that legacy apps functionality returns in one form or another w/out additional costs to existing owners.. :')

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

I have a feeling that many shooters upgrading from previous cameras will get the new A7R III and be surprised by this...

Nov 09, 2017 at 05:59 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

tntcorp wrote:
smooth reflection and remote shutter release are the more useful apps for me.. imho, sony's mentality has not changed. be innovative but without concerns for long term users'loyalty.

i certainly hope my opinion is proven wrong, and that legacy apps functionality returns in one form or another w/out additional costs to existing owners.. :')

Let's cut Sony some slack until we understand why they removed the apps from the latest cameras.

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

Personally, I only used the Smooth Reflections and Time Lapse apps. It would be a plus if Sony integrated these two apps in camera (via main FW). Call them image averaging and intervalometer.
They also had a Focus bracketing app but imo never worked great.

Add a real focus bracketing functionally to the main firmware as well!

As a bonus, let shooters combine all three if needed, for example: Image averaging with focus bracketing for ONE resulting RAW file.

I loved Smooth reflections but it had a fatal flaw. It didn't allow Silent shutter and therefore burned the mechanical shutter for no reason. Another flaw was the absence of an uncompressed RAW option.

I guess for the time-being, ND filters and an external intervalometer is back in my bag when shooting with the new A7R III.

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:10 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I have a feeling that many shooters upgrading from previous cameras will get the new A7R III and be surprised by this...

That's the main reason I am holding back on ordering the A7r III. I used both the SRA and Digital Filter apps quite a bit in my recent landscape trips. I do have the A9 that can handle fast paced actions. So, I will wait until probably until January or even February to see how things are by then.

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:11 PM
Parariss
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

Some earlier discussion on this here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1403764/19#14188341

The new RX10 IV is also missing the app store, and it is by no means a pro camera. So, either Sony is planning to completely reboot the app concept in some future firmware update, or they're simply retiring the whole idea.

I think it's the latter. Users don't need apps, they need functionality, and there's a finite number of particularly useful features to add. Writing the functionality directly into the camera's firmware is the easiest way to add functions, gives Sony full control of the product, and circumvents all of the extra overhead associated with an app store. If this is happening, it may take some time for the app store to completely disappear from the whole Sony lineup.

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:22 PM
xpfloyd
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

Parariss wrote:
Some earlier discussion on this here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1403764/19#14188341

The new RX10 IV is also missing the app store, and it is by no means a pro camera. So, either Sony is planning to completely reboot the app concept in some future firmware update, or they're simply retiring the whole idea.

I think it's the latter. Users don't need apps, they need functionality, and there's a finite number of particularly useful features to add. Writing the functionality directly into the camera's firmware is the easiest way to add functions, gives Sony full control of the product, and circumvents all of the extra overhead associated
...Show more

Itís a weird one as I imagine the actual costs of the App Store would be low as they already have the entire thing setup for PlayStation users I.e itís your PSN login you use for both. Unless the cost d developing the apps themselves is expensive but I imagine a firmware update to include the same functionality would incur a similar cost

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:31 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

I think it has to do with Sony wanting a closed system more than anything else. They don't want users to have the ability to get into their camera and change or add options. Sony is no Apple.

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:05 PM
sids911

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

I have a feeling that we would never come to know why Sony dropped it, and I do not see similar functionality coming as a part of firmware update package, ever.

- Negative Nancy & Debbie Downer

My only hope is that they will enable APIs so that their developers can create similar functionality through apps on mobile phones (soon enough!).

- Sid

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:18 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

I think the real issue is processing power and they donít want to take anything away from the processor abilities. These apps maybe stored in the processor and not like a separate internal storage.

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:20 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Personally, I only used the Smooth Reflections and Time Lapse apps. It would be a plus if Sony integrated these two apps in camera (main FW). Call them image averaging and intervalometer.
They also had a Focus bracketing app but imo never worked great.

Add a real focus bracketing functionally to the main firmware as well!

As a bonus, let shooters combine all three if needed, for example: Image averaging with focus bracketing for ONE resulting RAW file.

I loved Smooth reflections but it had a fatal flaw. It didn't allow Silent shutter and therefore burned the mechanical shutter for no reason. Another
...Show more

If the shutter works for irs rated life expectancy, I don't see the shutter issue as being a major flaw. Silent shutter on the A7R2 is limited to 12 bit files. This would have been a great Improvement for the A7R3 with its 14 bit silent shutter capability. Instead, I won't be upgrading due to the apps not being supported.

Fred, a good amount if your excellent wide angle landscape shots i have seen posted by you were done with the Smooth Reflection app. ND filters are a pain and won't have the same result. Gotta hurt. Maybe easier (and better) to keep an A7R2 around for the occasion

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:21 PM
ChrisLovesUgly

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

Fred Miranda wrote:
Personally, I only used the Smooth Reflections and Time Lapse apps. It would be a plus if Sony integrated these two apps in camera (main FW).

That's what I was thinking when I started reading this thread. Along with touch-less shutter.

I think they'll integrate it via an app at some point, but I think it would be better baked in. Actually, better yet, both!

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:26 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · a7r3 and playmemories apps?

GMPhotography wrote:
I think the real issue is processing power and they donít want to take anything away from the processor abilities. These apps maybe stored in the processor and not like a separate internal storage.

Having the capability to go into app mode shouldn't affect normal operating mode. Once the app is started, most apps don't allow full camera operation. Not a big deal as It usually isnt needed, since the app is usually for a specialized purpose. As a user, I would like to be able to decide.

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:34 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password