FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Stemonitopsis typhina a Rare Slime Mould 1

e6filmuser
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stemonitopsis typhina a Rare Slime Mould 1

I tend to search daily for fungi and slime moulds in various places and habitats in my garden. On this day in August I was finding nothing. I decided to turn over just one more chunk of rotten apple wood and found something on its former inner (trunk) surface which had some familiarity but was also different from anything I had seen before.

The black, shiny stalks and the cylindrical sporocarps were just as I had seen with Stemonitis but they were widely spaced, such that there was no chance of them leaning towards the centre of the colony and fusing into one unit, as does that genus. An account of that find is here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1454349
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1454517/
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1454349/

I photographed it at intervals, sometimes by daylight (not my normal preference) and sometimes by multiple flash. Internet searches showed it was likely to be Stemonitopsis. It closely matched images of a species often listed as Comatricha typhoides. Some species, including mine, originally in that genus have been split off into Stemonitopsis.

If it is that species then it is only the second record for this county, the first being by the author of the guide book.

These images show the white (slightly pink) stage which I first found. Subsequent topics will show how the colony changes after that. They will include stereo pairs. The individual fruiting bodies, together with their stalks, are up to about 4mm tall.

The red-brown object in the first image is an Arcyria, another genus of slime mould.

Olympus EM-1 in aperture priority mode, Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro (first image) with x2TC for the remainder, also with Raynox MSN-202 for the last two. 1/400 at f14, 1/200 at f16/ 1/1000 at f16 and 1/200 at f16, hand-held with support.

Harold

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Edited on Nov 09, 2017 at 05:38 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:46 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stemonitopsis typhina a Rare Slime Mould 1

Interesting find

Brian V.

Nov 09, 2017 at 06:47 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stemonitopsis typhina a Rare Slime Mould 1

LordV wrote:
Interesting find

Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.

I have just replaced the first image with the correct version. (I had, in error, used a "rush" version, made for identification purposes).

Harold

Nov 09, 2017 at 07:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stemonitopsis typhina a Rare Slime Mould 1

Here are some images from earlier on the same day as I photographed the pinkish white stage. These were taken about 4 hours earlier than the first set but had been filed separately.

Some of the close-ups show the fine, translucent covering of the stems.

Harold

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Nov 09, 2017 at 09:40 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stemonitopsis typhina a Rare Slime Mould 1

Not only interesting, but very neat Harold ~ Ron

Nov 09, 2017 at 01:18 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stemonitopsis typhina a Rare Slime Mould 1

I started to deal with the issue of the two names for this species here but have deleted it and posted a more complete version here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1516824/

Harold

Nov 10, 2017 at 06:40 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password